Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Mosquito
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »
Originally posted by Martyn
Would those bouncing bombs have had an effect on FHs? That would be a cool mission.

Dambuster?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Mosquito
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
Theres an idea.   Design a valley/ river with a dam.    one per country.

Put the city strat, or any other strat in the way of the flood plain.

Come in Mossie or lanc drop the bouncing bomb down the lake and watch the flood!

I think this feature in the game would be a novelty in itself and probably up the player base, thus paying for the time and effort put into the modelling of it.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 08:31:28 AM »
The Dam Busters were Lancs - although that's a neat idea too. Especially as Hollywood are looking at film scripts for a remake at the moment.

No, I meant the smaller bouncing bombs dropped from mossies. I don't know if they'd be powerful enough to take down an FH. Mind you, I don't think it'd be easy to code anyway in AH - what triggered the detonator? Couldn't be the impact - must have been a timer.

Still, Dam Busting would be cool.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline DweebFire

• Zinc Member
Mosquito
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »
Hm. I think the Mosquito dropped the sphere-shaped dambuster as opposed to the larger drum-shaped, backspinning tub of explosives under the Lanc.

I know! To keep this going even more, why don't we state our favourite Mosquito variants and their powerplants, data etc.

Mosquito FB. Mk. VI

Powerplant: 2x Rolls-Royce 25 Merlin engines rated at 1620 hp.

Empty weight: 14, 300 lbs.
Max. T/O: 22, 300 lbs.

Max. Speed: 380 mph

Weapons: 4x 20mm cannon (150 rpg) too bad it took up half the bomb bay.
and 4x 0.303" MG's (500 rpg).

Span: 54' 2"
wing area: 454 sq. ft.

Roles: need i say more? fighter, bomber, close-support aircraft, doodlebug killer, flying tree, etc.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »
Proper fighter and unarmed bomber mossies please with drones but if necessary perked;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
The nearest mission profile we got is an AR234 flying high and fast - but being a jet it isn't 'quite the same'. I often fly the Ki67 at 15k or so which is quite cool, but I want to go faster and without the guns.

Then again, we don't have any pin-point strategic targets either. We have Cities and Factories which are good for carpet bombing, but no-equivalent of 'The Gestapo Headquarters'. We do have the HQ but that needs tons of Ord.

I suppose we could have a single building (the 'Police HQ'?) randomly located somewhere on the map (you'd need recce flights to find it) but within a certain distance to the HQ to ensure its deep in territory.

If it's taken down it reduces the supplies from cities by, say, 50% for 30 minutes, or maybe destroying it increases the time for spawning CVs - or something like that.

Once taken down it pops up somewhere else. So you'd need deep penetration (love that phrase!) recce planes to find it then bombers to hit it. It may be protected by flak too. Identifying wouldn't be easy if it was small, so loitering at 25k and using the bomb sites on B17s wouldn't gaurantee identification.

We get a reason for recce planes and Mossies at the same time.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mosquito
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »
A swarm of Mossies each with a 4,000lb bomb could take the HQ down pretty fast.  It would be interesting to see if the Me163s were able to stop them in time.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Mosquito
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26:53 PM »
Yo me puse hablo latín, habla inglés
I dont speak latin, speak english
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
Is it time for another Mossie Picture yet? MAKE THIS ONE A BOMBER VARIANT:D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mosquito
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »
PR.Mk XVI, the Photo Recce version of the B.Mk XVI:

Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mosquito
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »
Video from a 1984 airshow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgijBdX-yPk&mode=related&search=

Sadly, this Mosquito crashed with the loss of both crew at an airshow in the 1990s.  It was the last flying Mosquito.

There are some projects out there to get one back in the air, but I don't know whow they are doing.

And a video with some cockpit shots in flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRMOrau9CI&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:47:07 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Mosquito
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 03:42:30 AM »
I went to the Mossie museum (ex-De Havilland works) a few months back and they've got a bomber almost complete. I don't know if it was meant to fly but it sure was looking good.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
Mosquito
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 04:39:37 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
I'll post a moqsuito picture every time this thread falls to the second page until the mossie is fixed.

I'll start with an Israeli mosquito! First single type equiped squadron in the IAF iirc, and we got it from the French. Yes, they loved us back then. :D
More on moquitos in the IAF:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/hangar/2848/mosquito.htm

[/IMG]

Um, I am not usually one to correct or sugjest anything. But, y'alls first "squadron" of the IAF were modified 109g-14s made  by the Czechs with Jumo engines in them (could not get the DB605) they were the Avia S.199 Mezek (mule).  Some having galland hoods and most having a sliding back style canopy.  

That aside, the Mossie would be flown more, if it did not want to do that spin o' doom stall. :p

Not trying to hijack, just my 2 cents :aok

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Mosquito
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »
I said "single type" squadron. The 101st had the Avia, spitfires and P51s (too bad they didn't get the jugs they wanted). Even the spitfires were of several variants - sometimes a Frankenstein made of several scrapped spitfires. Most of the planes were smuggled into israel and a few were also obtained illegally.

A famous spitfire (this is from memory) was called "Kneset 10". It was assembled from parts and was missing a metal plate.  The crew found a suitable piece of metal tossed away on one of the streets in Tel-Aviv that had an advertisement on it for "Kneset" cigarettes, hence the name.

109th squadron was created as a proper all mosquito squadron.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Mosquito
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
Mosquito eh?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --