Author Topic: If I hear one more IL-2 fanboy say Aces High II is arcade ...  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
I think I am going to explode.  Why do they cling so to their pathetic, out-dated "simulator"?  Why do they base their perception of real flight on a game and then scoff at any that differs from that false perception, regardless of which has more virtue?

Stress my wing-spars!  I yield.  No more shall I proselytize amongst the ignorant masses of IL-2 players.  No more shall I endeavor to let the light shine upon them.  Tell them it's over; tell them Benny is through.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
If I hear one more IL-2 fanboy say Aces High II is arcade ...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:40:27 PM »

oh-kay

<>
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:42:49 PM by TinmanX »
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »
:huh
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: If I hear one more IL-2 fanboy say Aces High II is arcade ...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 10:56:42 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
I think I am going to explode.  Why do they cling so to their pathetic, out-dated "simulator"?  Why do they base their perception of real flight on a game and then scoff at any that differs from that false perception, regardless of which has more virtue?

Stress my wing-spars!  I yield.  No more shall I proselytize amongst the ignorant masses of IL-2 players.  No more shall I endeavor to let the light shine upon them.  Tell them it's over; tell them Benny is through.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:59:19 PM »
Right, I just needed a reminder that it's not just the IL-2 people.  Thanks!

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »
Right, I just needed a reminder that it's not just the IL-2 people. Thanks!

No, Benny, It's not just the IL-2 people. Everyone over in Targetware Thinks AH is a joke, too. LOL

Well, a couple of them do, anyway.

Aces High strikes a balance, in reality. It takes enough of the sim factor to let you believe that you're experiencing the kind of combat that the planes and pilots of WWII went through, but simplifies it enough to make it enjoyable in a competitive, MMOG game-type format. Have you ever flown IL-2 or Targetware? Those are more about flying than anything. You must remember to set your mixture at takeoff. You can't forget to make sure your radiator vents are open. You must make sure that you don't strain your motor too much by flying everywhere at full-throttle.There is no MA's with fictitious, evenly three sided maps, ALL of the above mentioned are historical scenarios, with maps of North Africa, Europe, Russia, etc. Those games are more Simulator than game.

So really, when you hear people compare them, You're really hearing people that are actually comparing apples to oranges.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
No, Benny, It's not just the IL-2 people. Everyone over in Targetware Thinks AH is a joke, too. LOL

Well, a couple of them do, anyway.

Aces High strikes a balance, in reality. It takes enough of the sim factor to let you believe that you're experiencing the kind of combat that the planes and pilots of WWII went through, but simplifies it enough to make it enjoyable in a competitive, MMOG game-type format. Have you ever flown IL-2 or Targetware? Those are more about flying than anything. You must remember to set your mixture at takeoff. You can't forget to make sure your radiator vents are open. You must make sure that you don't strain your motor too much by flying everywhere at full-throttle.There is no MA's with fictitious, evenly three sided maps, ALL of the above mentioned are historical scenarios, with maps of North Africa, Europe, Russia, etc. Those games are more Simulator than game.

So really, when you hear people compare them, You're really hearing people that are actually comparing apples to oranges.

True. And while Il-2 Sturmovik may be more detailed in a modeling sense, it feels considerably less realistic than Aces High II (even with the lame drag "update" that has nerfed quite a few of our aircraft). I mean, when it feels as if you're flying on the moon even in a Thunderbolt, you tend to wonder just how accurate it really is.

Everything in Il-2 Sturmovik is far too responsive. It's as if every aircraft has the most advanced fly-by-wire technology installed with lightning-fast rudders and ailerons. Along with that, all of the planes are just too stable in level flight.

Heh, even my dad, who flew light civilian aircraft for years, said that the P-51 felt like flying a Piper Super Cub.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
That's my point.  Aces High II skimps on the avionics, but its flight model is the best I've seen.  IL-2 and Targetware are both bad jokes as far as the actual flying goes.

But whenever I mention this, I get the old "lol how would u know u never flown a wii figher" argument.  But it matters no more.  I'll let them wallow in their wretchedness.  That's the best thing about flying; you are up above the pettiness and drudgery of everyday life and the dumb people who don't care about flying.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 12:23:12 AM »
You spelled it wrong, it's fanboi.:aok
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
IL-2 and Targetware...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »
Neither of them offer the same kind of arenas that Aces High does, with the same kind of accuracy of flight for a mass media.

Just my opinion.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
Originally posted by Fruda

Everything in Il-2 Sturmovik is far too responsive. It's as if every aircraft has the most advanced fly-by-wire technology installed with lightning-fast rudders and ailerons. Along with that, all of the planes are just too stable in level flight.

How do you fly to and back from Berlin with an unstable plane ? (when trimed obviously).

Plus don't forget : in AH plane use burn twice the fuel they burn IRL.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
You spelled it wrong, it's fanboi.:aok

I almost pointed that out too! :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 06:40:20 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
No, . You must remember to set your mixture at takeoff. You can't forget to make sure your radiator vents are open. You must make sure that you don't strain your motor too much by flying everywhere at full-throttle.

I personally wouldnt at all mind seeing any of those things implememted in AH
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:03:16 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I personally wouldnt at all mind seeing any of those things implememted in AH

And also turning back for base with engine problems......  :D

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 08:10:34 AM »
IL2 is rubbish and targetware is a totaly pathetic waste of space.

yes, i have flown both extensively.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]