Author Topic: If I hear one more IL-2 fanboy say Aces High II is arcade ...  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
If I hear one more IL-2 fanboy say Aces High II is arcade ...
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2007, 12:48:25 PM »
Kweassa, 3 points:

1) I've played IL2. The landings and takeoffs are just as easy as Aces High. I've never had any problems landing or taking off in IL2, ever. In fact I have more problems landing in Aces High due to torque in some planes (like Ta152 or other craft that want to ground loop on landing). I've never EVER crashed on takeoff or landing in IL2, EVER. I've done it chitloads of times in AH.

The claim that IL2 requires more skill to land and takeoff doesn't hold water.

2) (2 points). You say "AH bypasses certain sets of physics upon need, as mentioned above" but this isn't true. The physics is all there. Your aircraft is still flying through the air on auto takeoff. It is computer controlled, and will fly as a preset, but the physics of it is no different than before. This is the same as IL2's annoying autopilot feature that will not only hold formation with you, but will fly faster than maximum speed while on auto pilot, to catch up to wingmen. How is that any different? It's NOT turning the game engine into an arcade game. It's simply taking over the controls for you. For one, there's no reason you can't take off by yourself, as long as you have a rudder axis. It's easy as hell in any aircraft to take off. And since AH doesn't have an "auto landing" you can't gripe about that.

The second point you say is "Pretty irrelevant matter at hand" when I talk about these "features". You say they're irrelevant, but you're the one claiming they make AH fly like an arcade game -- so they're pretty damn relevant! The point is that stall limiter is the only thing you can say is even close to "arcade like". Even so the cost of using stall limiter greatly hampers even the most basic manuvers (pulling up) and reduces your efficiency to the point of not being worth using. It limits the AoA you can pull, prevents you from stalling and thus spinning out. Most that know better avoid it like the plague. Most that don't know eventually LEARN and then avoid it like the plague. It's only a benefit to those that are still learning to fly, and every game has "training" levels before the "boss" levels. Those that use it only penalize themselves and most likely get shot down for it, so I don't see it as any major problem to this game's balance. If, for example, using SL were to increase your turn radius and all-around performance to the point of flying like a spixteen in a p40, then you'd have a valid complaint.

3) the personal accusations...

"Yes, because you're biased against other games."

Uh... wrong. I'm not biased. I went into each of the games mentioned with an open mind and a willingness to enjoy it. I can enjoy older less-sophisticated games. I'm not ignorant. I'm no fool. I like CivII despite it's age. I like Diablo II. I liked Tribes (1), and Counter-Strike (pre-CS:S), and many other genres and many other types of games. I am quite open to new gameplay styles, types, and enjoy a wide variety.

The reasons I have for disliking TW and IL2 series games I have already explained. These games have poor gameplay. The reason Counter-Strike was able to survive for 7+ years on an outdated game engine -- let's face it Half-Life was old as hell -- is because of gameplay. Aces High 1 survived because the gameplay was fun, despite lagging graphics. IL2 and Targetware lack decent gameplay in all areas, including the offline missions of IL2 (the only supposed advantage it has over Aces High in gameplay). Hell even TW's graphics aren't that great. The Beaufighter has a painted-on gunsight and is pushing 5+ years old, but won't ever be updated at this pace.

I am not "biased" as you claim. Bias implies an irrational aspect that defies logic. I'll return to this in a moment. My opinions on these other inferior games is based entirely on the experience the game provides. IL2 is not better than Aces High in any regard, least of all reality or physics. It has a more complex damage model, but it goes out of its way to make it nearly invulnerable to all weapons fire, requiring multiple 30mm hits to bring down compact fighters, unloading 1000 rounds from a 109F into a Lagg-3 and not bringing it down. More complex does not equate to "more realistic". Realistically, if you hit a craft enough it went down. In Aces High you hit a craft enough and it goes down. I've yet to see that in IL2. Unless you all fly with "simplified gunnery" checked -- which goes back to arcade play.

And, as a foot note, you speak of me being biased. What do you call yourself? You're on a crusade to say AH is the worst game there is. You claim we gloss over flaws. We don't. You claim we call these flaws features. You're probably talking (among other things) WEP implementation. They chose a way to do it. They're not going to change it unless they redo all engine controls. That's not a "feature" it's just the way they did it. Bomber drones follow you down and lower gear, flaps, line up and land all perfectly on their own. That's not a feature it's just the way they made it. Otherwise you'd have to switch to each drone and duplicate it all. You're on a crusade for minutae, with regards to this game. There's more important things to crusade for, so why quibble over the little stuff, when we still have big flaws to worry about.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers during this post, but man you've been going on for a little while now about how bad AH is, and I think you're biased yourself.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »
(Posted here in the intended thread I accidentally posted in the other AH/IL-2 thread)

I for one would enjoy a more realistic feature set when it comes to aircraft management systems, but am willing to accept that the modeling for each aircraft needs to be "standardized" in order to allow the developers to keep the models to a manageable level of detail.  And I don't mean flight characteristics, I mean the modeling of the aircraft systems which has been simplified down to the few most important basics, and even they are often modeled in a not entirely accurate fashion.

Take a simple one... WEP.  WEP on some aircraft was simply adjusting the throttle beyond a certain stop, and the limitations on the actual amount of time that WEP could be engaged for were determined by engine temperature (with of course some relatively conservative recommended maximums designed to prevent a drastic shortening of the service lifetime of the equipment if not an outright destruction).  Other's utilized a an injection system, and when you ran out of "whatever", you were done.   Some had the ability to do both.

Other systems, such a propeller pitch, flaps, mixture controls, electrical systems, cowling and cooling flaps, hydraulic systems, and the like all varied from aircraft to aircraft such that it would be a work of tremendous magnitude to accurately portray the management of each system in the game in the fashion that it deserves.  And additionally, each model would need it's own specific documentation to allow pilots who don't have access to the original pilot's manual some sense of how to fly it.

So it would be much more difficult for the casual player, as well as a lot more work for the developers.  So while I'd prefer more realism in this area, I accept why we don't (and may never have) it.
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »
For some reason, AH pilots have this peculiar opinion about the 'casual' gamer in which he views him as an unchanging and unadapting buffoon who are destined to be perpetually dumbfounded by every part of detail they are forced to manage during flight in some other game... and yet, they expect him to adapt and change and become better pilots with experience, in their own game.

It's the almighty "but.. but... what about the n00bs?" defense - the equivalent of the "not guilty by reasons of insanity" in murder trials. Since the n00bs are the equivalent of insane people in society, who has no hope of ever getting better and adapting to his own surroundings, the game must always make special amends for them.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2007, 11:39:44 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
AH does have a good set of physics but it has its shortcomings. Unfortunately, people just refuse to acknowledge these shortcomings as shortcomings, and treat it as if it was either intentional or adequate, whereas they view other games dealing with such problems as "going overboard" or "unnecessary".

Exactly. I fully acknowledge the shortcomings AH's flight model currently has, and while the physics engine is quite good, I'd rather it be quite a bit more detailed in the management department.

As for that sounds quip, I wasn't comparing Il-2's sounds to AH's defaults. It was a statement about Il-2's sounds, period. There's really no excuse for how poor the sound effects in that game are. I mean, Aces High's sounds are built-in with a completely free download. Back when Sturmovik was released, you had to pay $49 for it, and those sounds were (and still are) downright appalling.

...Not that I noticed that the P-47, FW-190, and La-7 sounded exactly the same. (Of course, it would've been fine and dandy if only the Focke Wulf and Lavochkin sounded the same, as the Lavochkins used copies of the BMW 801 radial engine). Oh, and the MiG-3 sounded the same as the P-40, and last time I checked, the Mikulin AM-35 engine was nowhere near identical to the Allison V-1710...

...And the gun sounds are some of the worst I've ever heard in any game, period. It sounds as if they were recorded in a very large abandoned warehouse with a microphone/tape deck combo from the mid-1990s. And mind you, I had an Audigy card and Altec Lansing speakers when I first played it, so don't think it's an issue with a ghetto computer...

...Sorry about the rant, but anybody can see that I'm pretty uptight about sound design. Hey, who wouldn't be after making sounds for AH for so long? But really, the sound design is pretty good in Il-2. It's just the sound effects that are so underwhelming.

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2007, 04:58:38 AM »
Originally posted by Booz
Call me when IL2 (or any other game at all for that matter) can handle a 500 player event.

can AH anymore? ;)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
I do prefer IL2 to AH, yet they are both simulators with their pros and cons. The one I read here that state that IL2 is a joke, or AH is a joke must not know much about flying.

I think that both are simulators because they recreate the basic forces applied to a flying propeller aircraft in a fairly convincing fashion. The typical relationship between angle of attack and lift, do this ... expect that type of thingy.

To me, flying IL2 mimics flying a real aircraft BETTER than AH. The hammer head in particular, point the nose up, roll on the edge, reduce power, and wait for gravity to smoothly pull you back nose down. In AH, what happens "at the top" is always quite entertaining. The takeoff/landing is also recreating the feel of flying better to me. Despite what Krusty says, in IL2 you need to be on the ball, you need to monitor your speed/skinrate/attitude more closely. In IL2 you feel the plane fighting gravity to get airborne, the transition between rolling andflying is well reproduced. In AH I feel like I'm "shooting in the air". Granted some planes are easier to land than others, but bringing a 109 to a stop in IL2 is far more work than in AH. You have to constently adjust your rudder/aileron/elevator inputs so much more than Aces High where you just "chop the throttle and flare". heck, landing with a rudder shot off in Il2 always brings the concern of "Am I going to run off the runway ... or maybe ground loop and crash".

As far as CEM, being a real life pilot, I like to tweak stuff. Sure AH does not have mixture control/supercharger stuff but AH stills models it. Hitech once told me, that since in fighting "everything would be shoved foward anyway, why bother the player with it?" Well ... in IL2, I noticed you actually can gain a little edge by adjusting prop pitch/mixture/charger depending on the manoeuver you are pulling, especially on the 109s. It greatly multiply your workload in a dogfight, but I like it. I found it more satisfying, but I don't thing it's what makes IL2 a sim compared to AH, which is the argument of this discussion.

I have a ball flying IL2 in online campaigns, keeping track of your position with  matching outside terrain with the map, constantly looking around for enemies, kicking rudders to check your six every other minute, having to visually ID a target befoer opening fire, sometimes making your miss it completly ... and the overall feeling of flying a plane, iven if the view system sucks.
AH in the other hand, has the MA thingy, with all those great people you fly with and against. It's a more social game, less anonymous. I also have much more confidence in accuracy as fra as aircraft performances. I'm convinced that HTC's creew  did their homework. The flying part does a good enought job for me to enjoy "fighting", even if I don't quite enjoy "flying".

Both games are fun in their own ways.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2007, 03:14:06 AM »
S! Chaps

Interesting topic must I say, especially when it - in a way - seems to arouse the kind of territorial defences :lol

I must agree with much of what SFRT - Frenchy just said about IL2 and AH. I fly both (My first simulator was EAW which I still sometimes use as a point of comparison to other games)  and enjoy both very much. AH must be the best "saloon" there is (yes, its very social) and the ALT-X option keeps me from dehydrating...

But what have not yet been said, is the kind of SA thingy I find different in the two. In IL2 with full real visual settings, you have to keep your eyes open all the time. In AH (MA) it is almost hard to lose focus on enemy plane - and good SA allows more "technical" flying which of course, dictates the nature of battle. In IL2 you have to (usually) play it safe due to the fact that you cant monitor the enemy's movement 100% of the time. In practise this means that in IL2 you can really surprise your enemy - while in AH you usually surprise enemy pilot only when he is getting more beer from the fridge or is otherwise occupied (in cbt).

That said, I have nothing to say about the realism issue, but I think IL2 has the kind of "fog of war" sense in it that AH lacks. And I must say - after a dozen of beer I am truely grateful AH does lack this kind of "realism"  :aok
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by Hwkeye
Originally posted by nirvana
You spelled it wrong, it's fanboi.

From Wikipedia:

"Fanboy  or fanboi is a term used to describe an individual (usually male, though the feminine version fangirl may be used for females) who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors that differ from their point of view. Fanboys are also typically aggressive towards the opposing brand or competition of their obsession regardless of its merits or achievements."

Are they all republicans?...

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
I've flown WWII era aircraft including a B17 and all that engine management crap is not 'fun'.

Its the pain in the butt part of flying old airplanes.

I once flew a Beech 18 from New York to Airborne Airpark in Wilmington, Ohio in a raging blizzard.

5 solid hours of nerve wracking hell because I was desperately trying to keep the engines running and ice off the airplane.

Flying solo, navigating (using one bad VOR receiver) at night with no autopilot while managing manual oil shutters, manifold heat, prop alcohol, windshield alcohol and manually activated pneumatic boots is about as much fun as bathing in 350 degree oil.

Those who want ultra realistic engine management only want it because they believe they would somehow gain some sort of an advantage because they would be better at it than anyone else.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »
Originally posted by Gumbeau
Those who want ultra realistic engine management only want it because they believe they would somehow gain some sort of an advantage because they would be better at it than anyone else.

I think this is about right. I've heard cracks about folks in IL2 using the custom engine management to over-boost engines with no penalties or some such bug. This was years back that I heard it, and it might be fixed by now.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
You might be miss informed Krusty, you can manually control the manifold/prop RPM in the 109. That allows you when you pull a vertical manoeuver to run your RPM at 3,000 instead of the max auto of 2,700 (something like that), which gives you a little edge. The thing is that if you do it more than 2 or 3 secs you'll kill your engine. Consequently, if you disable the auto prop RPM management, you have to constantly adjust your RPM with your airspeed, and more than once, in the heat of a dogfight, I ended up over-reving the prop and blowing my engine up.

I thing it's accurate to say that the aces of WWII where the ones, on top of other things, get the most out of their airplane, and that includes system managements. I'm happy it can be recreated in a flight simulator also:cool:

As Gumbeau said, manual engine management is not fun, but personaly it's what I like. Contrary to Gumbeau, I prefer flying in the ice and juggle the system to keep my plane airborne, rather than setting my cruise parameters and flying on autopilot for 3h on a CAVOK day. This human/machine combo victory over nature feeling, like Saint Exupery often describe in his books.:aok
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:22:16 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
It was a long time ago, before I ever flew IL2. I can't be specific.

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2007, 04:41:54 AM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy

As Gumbeau said, manual engine management is not fun, but personaly it's what I like. Contrary to Gumbeau, I prefer flying in the ice and juggle the system to keep my plane airborne, rather than setting my cruise parameters and flying on autopilot for 3h on a CAVOK day. This human/machine combo victory over nature feeling, like Saint Exupery often describe in his books.:aok

Then you obviously aint done it enough. After the first dozen funerals you begin to realize you would rather be looking back on the 'good ole days' versus taking the long dirt nap.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2007, 06:07:14 AM »

So which part of IL2 CEM is 'ultra realistic'?

I think it's accurate to say that the aces of WWII where the ones, on top of other things, get the most out of their airplane, and that includes system managements. I'm happy it can be recreated in a flight simulator also.

I'm willing to bet that such a thing would have never, ever happened in real life, be it a novice or an experten, especially in the heat of combat. Fiddling around systems to gain a combat advantage by using them for  some strange purpose out of context is something only us gamers do. Going manual prop control in 109s is an emergency procedure done only under certain specific conditions where it is relatively easy to maintain a steady increase/decrease in RPM. It's not something a pilot would be using when his hands are tied up to HOTAS or BHOS.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
I see your point Kweassa, you might be right.

Originally posted by Gumbeau
Then you obviously aint done it enough. After the first dozen funerals you begin to realize you would rather be looking back on the 'good ole days' versus taking the long dirt nap.

"After the first dozen funerals" ... oh pleuuuuAse!
Not wishing to enter a pissing contest here, but flying cargo in Cessna 402 and Metroliner in Utah/Idao/Washington I had my share. Yet it's my job, and you have to go again the next day, you just make it happen. Icing flying is the daily routine of 100s of other cargo pilot in the midwest winters, flying older planes in more or less good shape. Like I said, everyday in bad weather is a man/machine victory above nature which brings satisfaction, and makes summer flying so borring in comparaison.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 11:40:45 AM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------