Author Topic: Screen Lock Up  (Read 618 times)

Offline StewyS

• Zinc Member
Screen Lock Up
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Has anyone encountered an exstensive frame rate situation in which the screen locks up and then 2-3 seconds later resumes to a playable frame rate.

SS:rolleyes:

Offline rodak

• Zinc Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »
ahh... don't look at the 50 troops comin down!!!   Just kidding.  It happens to me sometimes too but different situations seem to trigger it for example, being low when a lot of bombs drop around me or trying to change graphic settings when a lot of other guys are around my visual area.  Have a look at the tech support boards, maybe you will see something there to help you.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:07 AM »
Im not sure... are you looking for tech support here?

If yes, then we need more info. A dxdiag report (check the tech support stickies on how to obtain one) and a more detaild description of the freezes - can you pintpoint any regularities like "whenever i come into d200" or "every time I start shooting"...

If no, please ignore my resonable lines, as you were and resume the light posting :D.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline StewyS

• Zinc Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks guys ! Any help is greatly appreciated.

StewyS

:aok

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
If yes, then we need more info. A dxdiag report (check the tech support stickies on how to obtain one) and a more detaild description of the freezes - can you pintpoint any regularities like "whenever i come into d200" or "every time I start shooting"...

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Screen Lock Up
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
Originally posted by StewyS
Has anyone encountered an exstensive frame rate situation in which the screen locks up and then 2-3 seconds later resumes to a playable frame rate.

SS:rolleyes:

What Video Card are you using?

I have run into a lot of players with the same problem and they usually fix it by setting thier max texture to the same number as thier video card ie;

256 Meg card = Max Texture 256

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »
Check the Tech Support forum. I had this problem and the post Skuzzy put up about dual core processors really helped. I dont get screen freezes anymore at all.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
Yes I have.

~AoM~

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Screen Lock Up
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:03 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
What Video Card are you using?

I have run into a lot of players with the same problem and they usually fix it by setting thier max texture to the same number as thier video card ie;

256 Meg card = Max Texture 256

Im using a 256 MB vid mem card and have hires pack on (admittedly, I every now and then run out of ressources, but 512 is clean). Depends a little on what else he has.... id like to see a dxdiag report.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 05:24:45 AM »
Pauses like that are normally attributable to resource starvation in the computer.  That can be memory, video card, and/or sound card related.

In most systems, it is probably system memory related.  Cutting down the "Maximum Texture Size" in the game's "Video Settings" is the quickest way to determine if it is resource related.

Also note, you cannot go by the reported video memory usage in the in game.  It is not accurate due to how bideo card manufacturers decided to report memory used.  If you have anti-aliasing enabled in your video card, those large textures can take a long time to process by the card.

On NVidia video cards, the 9x.xx drivers can also cause massive stuttering as well.

Onboard sound chips use more CPU cycles than a good PCI card would.  So if your CPU is at the edge of having too much to do, these chips will push it right on over the edge.  Adjustng the hardware sound acceleration down a notch from Full will help reduce the CPU load.

Lastly, the number of and type of background processes is a contributing factor to poor performance.  Open the Windows Task Manage, select the "Processes" tab.  In the lower left cornder is the total number.  It should be around 19 to 21 for a reasonably clean Windows XP/2000 system.

Right next to the total count is the CPU usage percentage.  It should be bouncing like a heartbeat between 0 and 1 (maybe 2 on occasion) percent.  If there is any deviation to this, then something is amiss.  You can also start the game, minimize it, then check the game's CPU usage.  It should be at 99 to 100%.  Anything less, then something is amiss.

If the processes look good and the CPU usage is fine, then you are probably pushing the video card too hard.  Simply reduce the "Maximum Texture Size" in the game, disable any anti-aliasing you have forced on, as well as any anisotrpic filtering you have forced.  Then go from there.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 06:13:42 AM »
Roy Neese is Da MAN !!!!:aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 08:41:25 AM »
Skuzzy, you should copy and paste that reply and post it as a sticky at the top of the "Technical Support" page. Label it "screen stutters" or something like it. Its a great basic starting block for looking for the most likely causes for screen stutters.

Great post !

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Screen Lock Up
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
Added to the "Hints and Tips" sticky.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com