Author Topic: The concrete thing SUCKS!!!!!!!!  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
The concrete thing SUCKS!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
I would like

3 point landing any where on a field/facility = landing successfully.

Landing with broken gear or gear up = ditch (even on the runway)

However I dont like re arm pads would prefer to see them replaced with player dumped "vehicle supplies" (usable when stationary) which reflect the state of the airfield.
Ludere Vincere

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »
So I get a ditch just because my gear is damaged in a fight?? Thats pretty dumb.

Anywhere on the airfield should be considered a successfull landing.  Didnt the british operate fighters from grass fields?  So any spitfire or hurricane landing on a grass field in WWII was considered a ditch??  I dont think so.

Ive always despised the ditch while 2 feet off the R/W.  Almost makes you want to fight in dedstik mode rather than chance a grass landing.

IMO change it to anywhere within the field.  Landing on a Vbase should remain concrete required tho.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »
Originally posted by helbent
So I get a ditch just because my gear is damaged in a fight?? Thats pretty dumb.

Nope, you get a ditch because you didnt get it onto the concrete.  haven't you been reading?! :mad:

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The concrete thing SUCKS!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
Originally posted by Ball
Oh noes! did you miss out on your wtg's?!?!!! :(

Not really. My squad has a Top Aces Board. Have to land 5 kills or better to get on it. I was trying to set the record for the F6F with that sortie, but you have to submit a screen shot of landing the kills to qualify. I was trying to bump off the current record holder. O'well just have to keep working on it.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 07:40:19 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt

Landing with broken gear or gear up = ditch (even on the runway)

Yes i have been reading, have you?  Thats ok, you might have missed this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:42:28 AM by helbent »
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: The concrete thing SUCKS!!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Not really. My squad has a Top Aces Board. Have to land 5 kills or better to get on it. I was trying to set the record for the F6F with that sortie, but you have to submit a screen shot of landing the kills to qualify. I was trying to bump off the current record holder. O'well just have to keep working on it.

I see. Fair enough then :)

Yes i have been reading, have you?  Thats ok, you might have missed this.

I was just messing about.  I agree that the idea is dumb.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »
Actually, IMHO it would be kinda cool if damage to your aircraft were to have an affect - although exactly what in the context of AH would make sense I'm unsure.   Something to simulate the amount of work the ground crew would need to do to return the airframe to service, at any rate.

And on a related thought, as much as I detested the lack of visibility (2 1/2 miles and "pea soup") and performance issues in WWIIOL, the implementation of supply made for tremendous richness to the sim itself - and on the airwar front, it greatly increased desire to successfully return your aircraft to an airfield, which had a positive effect on how many people flew because if you lost your ride you might not be able to get another.  And for the war effort, it meant that attrition had an affect - shooting someone down meant something more than just removing an immediate threat for the next 3 minutes.

Of course the flip-side is that it made for significant opportunities for player-player clashes, too.  Idiots who took off under a cap affected your ability to take an aircraft later when the field wasn't capped, and it was highly frustrating to sign onto the game and find no aircraft to fly anywhere.   And accusations of griefing were the order of the day.  Especially while many took into account the supply limitations and flew accordingly, many did not - so it really highlighted in a negative way the individualistic nature of a MMOG and the lack of top-down control that are the extreme opposite of a real military venture.

But when it worked right, it was pretty awesome.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:50:25 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
I made an entire 512x512 arena that is one big concrete tile for exactly this reason.  Submitted to HTC about 22 months ago.  No word yet on whether it will make the rotation, but I've still got my fingers crossed.

:noid

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »
I agree that landing on grass at a field should be considered successfull.

However crashing into the ground on a runway and still surviving may be miraculaous..even (when damaged) skillfull but is is not a successfull landing and even in RAF parlance it would be a ditch.
Ludere Vincere

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
Not really. My squad has a Top Aces Board.

We have a top aces board too, you just have to land more kill steals than Slapshot. :asok
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:51:33 PM by mars01 »

Offline Flame 2 the boy

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
if the the feild then becomes a giant landing strip...it wouldnt change much.if a pilot has enough skil to land his plane dead stick than shouldnt he get a confirmed landing?

Thats just my opinion, but i find it hard to believe that every pilot in WWII always landed on the runway.

Flameboy

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »
Originally posted by Flame 2 the boy
if the the feild then becomes a giant landing strip...it wouldnt change much.if a pilot has enough skil to land his plane dead stick than shouldnt he get a confirmed landing?

Thats just my opinion, but i find it hard to believe that every pilot in WWII always landed on the runway.

Flameboy

Yup but every pilot that ditched successfully was dang happy to make it back.
I bet they weren't whining about no wtg for ditching.

:D

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »

Anywhere on the airfield should be considered a successfull landing.  Didnt the british operate fighters from grass fields?  So any spitfire or hurricane landing on a grass field in WWII was considered a ditch??  I dont think so.

You want landing counts more realistic, right?
Yes, landing anywhere on field (or even just close to field) counts as "landing" in RL. But belly landing always counts as "ditch", no matter where it landed.

If you want to know why you must land in tarmac to get landing message use the f. search button together with "hitech" nick.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
cmon dude u can land in a zillion places on the field...u can be on fire and missing wings and still get a good landing. You were fighting GV"S! How hard is it to judge how much gas u need to rtb...or did one of the defenseless tanks drag u 20 miles from feild? :lol

Offline Flame 2 the boy

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Yup but every pilot that ditched successfully was dang happy to make it back.
I bet they weren't whining about no wtg for ditching.

:D

Bronk

you do make a point...i guess being alive is better than being dead no matter what happens to your plane or kills