Author Topic: Arena settings vary pretty weird  (Read 821 times)

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Arena settings vary pretty weird
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »
Simple question concerning the simple problem:

Why is the max. numbers of  players at each arena varying all the time? It can vary in few minutes from 200 to 400...and back! Itīs weird!
Why couldnīt it be fixed? For example 400/arena, or related to GMT or some other criteria?

That kind of usage and practice of arena settings really ruins the basic idea of squad flying...You canīt arrange squad meetings at certain arena at certain time cause You canīt be sure if all your squaddies can log in...

Is that the objective?
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
It was fixed and then people complained about one arena always being full while the other was damn near empty, so they made it a moving arena.  The max per arena is based on the other arena's numbers.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
this is how HTC makes sure the arenas fill more evenly. It is set that way so one LW arena doesn't have a full 400, and the other one only have 50. As one arena hits a certain percentage full the OTHER arena cap jumps up a bit to open more room there. This goes back and forth in an effort to keep BOTH arenas populated.

Some times the numbers get pretty wacked, like when the arena is reset after the war is won, but on a whole it works out pretty well.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 02:35:07 PM »
the arena seetting dont help squads  or groups who want to fly togeather.

as for early and mid arenas  th most ive seen all week when ive been on is 30 in early and 50 in mid  and that is at around 11pm GMT.

we are stuck with for arenas and few maps   and still waiting for combat tour which may arrive this year.

the mid and early arenas are just not working although no one will admitt it and we will still be stuck with it.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
Hmm...so far as I can remember(it is not even far, just five-six years. I`m a noob)      
There was one Main arena,
Then there was one Training arena
And, there was Duelling arena.
plus those h2h-arenas...

I donīt see any reasons why that setup wouldīnt work nowadays...
After all this "divided arenas"-era, I would prefere HTC to go back to former arena settings.

Splitting arenas to different eras is basically OK. But, implementing that nice idea...something went wrong. Nowadays, different arenas are the best farming area for score potatos and sudden players.

HTC(Skuzzy indeed), pls, bring us back a proper  and fair arena setting. OK?
Thank You!
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I just don't understand why a single arena with 700+ people doesn't work?!?!

What's with that?
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Re: Arena settings vary pretty weird
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:17:49 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum
Simple question concerning the simple problem:

Why is the max. numbers of  players at each arena varying all the time? It can vary in few minutes from 200 to 400...and back! Itīs weird!
Why couldnīt it be fixed? For example 400/arena, or related to GMT or some other criteria?

That kind of usage and practice of arena settings really ruins the basic idea of squad flying...You canīt arrange squad meetings at certain arena at certain time cause You canīt be sure if all your squaddies can log in...

Is that the objective?

LOL Welcome to 6 Months ago dood.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 05:08:28 AM »
One reason behind splitting the arenas was to spread people out, making the hoards smaller. With a 700 person arena, the hoard might be over 100 people rolling bases. At that point, the field's automatic defenses mean absolutely zero and the defending fighters pretty much the same.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 05:12:55 AM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
Yeah, I just don't understand why a single arena with 700+ people doesn't work?!?!

What's with that?

This company feels that one arena promotes an "unhealthy environnment", while games such as EVE Online seem to demonstrate that 30,000 people in one arena presents relatively little difficulty.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »
also what i dont understand with this "unhealthy" arena of 700+ is the area of the whole thing.

in the old days we had 700+ on a large map.

now we have 400 on a small map.

if you work out the players per 25mile square you will see that we are infact worse off now than we was before the split..... kinda strange reasoning calling 700 people overcrouding when infact its worse now....

....but anyway, HTC is fixed on this idea and isnt open to reasoning on this "issue".

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »
You guys should learn to do a search on these boards. Then you wouldn't ask the same questions, nor make the same "arguments" that have been made before and answered before. The button is at the top of the page and looks kinda like this... But to save you time....

The 700+ arenas were unhealthy not due to OVER population, but due to the huge base rolling hordes they promoted. Had these "hordes" actually gone head to head instead of going out of there way to avoid each other, we may still be running on large maps. Game play suffered because "it wasn't fun" being one of the few people trying to stop the horde, nor was it fun to be in the horde chasing down that lone LA7 with 15-20 of your countrymen.

EVE on-line, and other games like that may have 30,000 going strong, but its a different game with different dynamics. HTC has tried to bring the arenas back to the old size and atmosphere that they had before. Yes you still have hordes, but they are smaller and more people will get together and fight them, its not such a "lost cause" when you see them coming. It looks more like a furball witch to some looks like fun.

Squads can still get together and have fun.... which is what a squad is all about, however you may have to switch sides, or arenas to do it. Some people make there own misery by refusing to do either, and that is their problem and easily solved by personal attitude adjustments.

So basically this is what it has come down to, Arenas will have moving caps to try and maintain even numbers in arenas ( tho it still causes trouble with the European crowd due to lower numbers), Arenas won't go over 450, and we will no longer have the large maps. This is how it is, and 6 months of complaining didn't change it before, nor do I think it will now.

Love it, or leave it this is AH2. But for goodness sake don't start all this crap again, just go play the game and have some fun !

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
Originally posted by thndregg
This company feels that one arena promotes an "unhealthy environnment", while games such as EVE Online seem to demonstrate that 30,000 people in one arena presents relatively little difficulty.

Sorry.  I've been told I have a dry sense of sarcasm.

I prefer the 'old' days, as some have called it, when having 120 in the arena on a Friday night was a new thing.

I can't stand the rolling horde.

I also can't stand 'elitists' who complain about how other people fly.

That also goes for people who moan about toolshedders and milkrunners.  Especially when those types are not ruining the complainers fun by dropping hangers.

And I can't stand you.  Yes, you.  Yeah, the one reading this post.  You.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
oh no, not again.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »
Oh no...not again:rolleyes:
Here is very good example of the situation I ment at the beginning of this thread:
Screenshot at 10.30 PM(GMT+2.00)

Think about it. What is happening and what has happened maybe some minutes ago...and...what will happen at Late War Blue Arena.
It is totally impossible to arrange any kind of squad meetings or smaller happenings at certain arena at certain time.
Its pretty hard to invite noobs to come at a precise time to see and join action.
So...what if they are not even able to log in...thatīs not too encouriging...
And, BTW, those limitations of players should be permanently min.400/ each arena. Not lower #. That shouldnīt be a technical issue.

Maybe, somebody sees  that kind of action as the problem itself...There  is a great danger that meeting  might develope to a massive horde!!!:p
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:45:30 PM by Zuum »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »
It looks like the numbers dropped enough in "Orange" to warrant the lowered cap in "Blue". At the time of the screen shot the only arena you COULDN'T have a squad up to 55 members meet at once was in "Blue".

Have your squad meet in the "Lobby" that HTC has made, decide which arena has the room for your numbers, and everyone log in. Doesn't seem to tuff to me.