Author Topic: Need help with paint colors  (Read 423 times)

Offline 68Dougal

• Copper Member
Need help with paint colors
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
I want to try my hand at a 94th FS P-38G based out of North Africa circa Aug/Nov 1943. The problem is that I'm not sure what colors might have been used during that time frame.

The only color reference I have is this profile depicting the plane in Jan 1944, after the 94th had moved to Italy:

Unfortunately I don't think it's very accurate, considering the tail number is incorrect (should be 213460) and positioned wrong. Not to mention it didn't list any sources or even an artist.

I have several photos, but they aren't very helpful because they're black and white.

I'm also somewhat confused about which star was used at that time. Was it still the circle with the yellow ring, or was the star and bar (like in the profile) in use? Again, I have several photos showing the star in circle+yellow, but they aren't dated, so they don't help much.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Dougal
68Dougal
347th FG 68th FS
Fear The Reaper No More Fear The Lancers

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »
OD uppers Light Grey unders was standard I believe. I could be wrong (not the resident 38 guy around here), but that's the standard camo I think.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
OD uppers Light Grey unders was standard I believe. I could be wrong (not the resident 38 guy around here), but that's the standard camo I think.

Medium gray for the bottoms.  Good paint reference (has the RGB values for US colors) is http://www.simmerspaintshop.com

They also have some insignia templates.  Circle in yellow was used in North Africa (I think 15th AF also used yellow afterwards?), and there was a brief period of Circle in red in '43 I think.  Do a google search for USAAC/USAAF insignia and you can probably find all the actual dates for each type.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »
Ah... Sorry 'bout that. "Medium Grey" not "Light Grey". I've seen the color so many times, and can picture it in my head easily, got the wrong name, though.

EDIT: You're probably better off making your own insignia, rather than relying on the paintshop for templates.

Offline 68Dougal

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

I should have included in my first post that I've been searching this stuff for hours and come up blank. I came here asking questions as a last resort.

Simmerspaintshop is what caused me the confusion in the first place. I initially used the OD from their template (#3C3727) thinking that it should be correct since OD upper and grey bottom is pretty standard, but then I scrolled down looking at the other colors and noticed Sand and Dark Earth, and the descriptions of their uses. They both say "Upper surfaces, African campaign". So, I wasn't sure anymore whether to use one of those or continue using OD.

As for the inisgnia, I searched earlier for a while and I only came up with a USAF site that describes vaguely when certain insignia came into use. It wasn't really helpful.

Thanks for the answers anyway.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:55:16 PM by 68Dougal »
68Dougal
347th FG 68th FS
Fear The Reaper No More Fear The Lancers

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »
Wait for guppy/corky he should have the answers as he has a library greater than the National Air and Space Smithsonian. :D
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by 68Dougal
Thanks guys.

I should have included in my first post that I've been searching this stuff for hours and come up blank. I came here asking questions as a last resort.

Simmerspaintshop is what caused me the confusion in the first place. I initially used the OD from their template (#3C3727) thinking that it should be correct since OD upper and grey bottom is pretty standard, but then I scrolled down looking at the other colors and noticed Sand and Dark Earth, and the descriptions of their uses. They both say "Upper surfaces, African campaign". So, I wasn't sure anymore whether to use one of those or continue using OD.

As for the inisgnia, I searched earlier for a while and I only came up with a USAF site that describes vaguely when certain insignia came into use. It wasn't really helpful.

Thanks for the answers anyway.

I use the 94, 95, 68 OD color as you don't have to fade it as much to make it look weathered.  As far as I know, there weren't any tan or light brown colors used on P-38's, but Hoarach is right, Dan will certainly hook you up.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Need help with paint colors
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:51 PM »
Originally posted by 68Dougal
I want to try my hand at a 94th FS P-38G based out of North Africa circa Aug/Nov 1943. The problem is that I'm not sure what colors might have been used during that time frame.

The only color reference I have is this profile depicting the plane in Jan 1944, after the 94th had moved to Italy:

Unfortunately I don't think it's very accurate, considering the tail number is incorrect (should be 213460) and positioned wrong. Not to mention it didn't list any sources or even an artist.

I have several photos, but they aren't very helpful because they're black and white.

I'm also somewhat confused about which star was used at that time. Was it still the circle with the yellow ring, or was the star and bar (like in the profile) in use? Again, I have several photos showing the star in circle+yellow, but they aren't dated, so they don't help much.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Dougal

Summer 43 had the star and bar with the red surround introduced.  Other profiles and photos of 1st FG birds show yellow wing tips and spinners for the P-38s of the 94th, red spinners and wingtips for the 27th FS.

The change to the blue suround to the star and bar was the fall of 43 and the darker blue showed up distinctly around the faded blue of the circle on many occasions.  

So if you go August, I'd go with the red surround to the star and bar, and yellow wing tips and spinners for your 94th FS bird.  It would give you more color anyway.

The yellow surround to the star without the bar was Operation Torch markings from the fall and winter of 42.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters