Author Topic: The importance of good ram! CRUCIAL RULES!!!  (Read 340 times)

Offline coop2

• Zinc Member
The importance of good ram! CRUCIAL RULES!!!
« on: December 12, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
As many of you know I have been having lots of problems with my new computer, specifically the RAM. I had gone through 2 sticks of kingston DDR that were giving me Problems. I didn't know if it was my mobo or my memeory. Anyways, I said screw it and bought a stick of Crucial DDR figuring that if my computer dosen't work with the best RAM on the market than their is some wrong with mobo. Well, today after it arrived ( a little over 24 hours after I odered it) I go to computer snap it in and the sucker boots up instantly and before I know it I'm sitting on Windows XP desktop.  :D

I am now a firm believer in the value of GOOD ram. I used to think "sh#t I can have twice the amount of RAM for the same cost as the good stuff". But now I would rather have less but of a better brand.

Sorry for the rant just thoguht I'd let you know that even I (the same guy that puts his RAM in backwards  :eek: ) is capable of learning a thing or two.

coop

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
What was the problem you were having with XP? And did you go from 2 sticks to 1 stick?

Offline coop2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
The problem I was getting was when I would try to boot up all my computer would do is beep. It would work fine for a couple days then sure enough it would be abck at. To fix it  would have to pull out the RAM and re-install it about 10 times to get it to work again. Yes I downgraded from 2 sticks to 1. The kingston RAM I had in their initially was all wierded out. They had the exact same serial number but one was PC1600 and one was PC2100 or at least according to my computer. Yes I had that problem with XP and windows 2000.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2001, 07:32:00 PM »
What's your motherboard ?

Some ASUS boards need to have a jumper moved if you are using 2 sticks of DDR. And they would beep if you put 2, not work, etc... jumper changed, and it works like a charm

Offline coop2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
I have an Epox 8hka+ It only has two jumpers to begin with. One is for the FSB and the other is to reset the BIOS.  Having two sticks of RAM wasn't the problem. I couldn't get 1 to work yet alone both at the same time. But who knows maybe I did something wrong.

coop