Author Topic: P40-B Warhawk  (Read 1871 times)

Offline DocRoe

• Zinc Member
P40-B Warhawk
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:16:38 AM »
hello,i would like to  \try flying this plane. The P40B.If anyone could give me some tips or tell me how to fly it that would be greatly appreciated. I just think this plane is really cool because it is different and trying to kill with a 30 cal and a 50 cal is fun :)

I just want to try it and see if i like it, if not ill try to learn the f4u1a and bf109
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:38:04 AM by DocRoe »

Offline DocRoe

• Zinc Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »
Also, whats a fast plane with powerful guns with good looping?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
Our P-40B is really a P-40C as currently modeled. It's 20 mph slower than the B model and heavier to boot.

It doesn't turn better than the P-40E and is down on performance to just about every other fighter. It rolls well and dives well, but that's the about all it has going for it.

You will find it frustrating to fly in combat. I'd skip it if you're new to the game.

Both the 109s and F4Us require use of flaps to maximize performance. Since you are a beginner, I'd suggest aircraft that do not need to rely on flaps to perform well.

These include, the Spitfire Mk. VIII, FM-2, N1K2-J and the A6M5.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »
Originally posted by DocRoe
Also, whats a fast plane with powerful guns with good looping?

Spitfire Mk.VIII offers the above, plus good handling, great climb and acceleration. It's not among the faster fighters, but its acceleration is such that it can run down the fast guys before they generate enough speed to escape.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing

These include, the Spitfire Mk. VIII, FM-2, N1K2-J and the A6M5.

My regards,

Widewing [/B]

Good god, please not another N1k pilot.

Fighting the nits the other night......... 90% of them were n1ks! It wasn't even a squad or a mission.... just alll Golly-geen n1ks.

I was in a D9, so I just flew right through the cloud of them. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I learnt to fly in 109s and I think I'm a better pilot for it.

They really teach you to shoot well
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »
They teach you to shoot well with the german guns, but the ballistics on those are so bad that it messes up your aim when you fly with something else.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
You will find it frustrating to fly in combat. I'd skip it if you're new to the game.

I skip it even though I'm not new, and despite my inclination to try to make silk purses from pigs' ears.  We have the P-40B enabled occasionally in AvA.  In my humble opinion, it is the worst fighter in the entire AH plane set.

Perhaps a year ago someone ran a competition to see who could get the most kills in a P-40B in a week.  If you can track down that thread, you might be able to find some constructive comments about how to fly this iron dog.

- oldman

Offline DocRoe

• Zinc Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
hmm, well i am a noob and ive only been flying for a little over 2 months, but is there a  more advanced plane that i can just stick to instead of a beginner plane then go to a more advanced plane.Id like to learn one plane. Any suggestion will help... just fast, firepower, and looping.

and yes, i am one stubborn dude lol

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
Originally posted by Xasthur
Good god, please not another N1k pilot.

Fighting the nits the other night......... 90% of them were n1ks! It wasn't even a squad or a mission.... just alll *EDITED FOR IT WAS NOT REALLY NEEDED IN THIS REPLY* n1ks.

I was in a D9, so I just flew right through the cloud of them. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I learnt to fly in 109s and I think I'm a better pilot for it.

They really teach you to shoot well

Originally posted by Xasthur

so did u fly at em head on, in a slashing dive, or from behind?   :cool:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 04:24:41 PM »
a good plane is the yak-9u

it will outrun what it can't outurn and it will outurn what it cant outrun.  It also teaches good gunnery.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »
Originally posted by DocRoe
hmm, well i am a noob and ive only been flying for a little over 2 months, but is there a  more advanced plane that i can just stick to instead of a beginner plane then go to a more advanced plane.Id like to learn one plane. Any suggestion will help... just fast, firepower, and looping.

and yes, i am one stubborn dude lol

There is a lot to learn no matter which plane you choose. A number of good choices have been given here that you don't seem to want to take. That is your choice. Choose the plane you wish to fly, and search these boards for every bit of info on it you can find. Then practice, practice, practice. Once you think you have it down pretty well, log on to the main arena and give it a try. After you have been killed a few thousand times it will all start to come together  :)

Basically what most of these folks are saying is to start with a spit, nik. While they are considered "easier" planes thy are by no means "kiddy rides". There is a lot to learn to get the most out of these planes, and will take a good "pilot" months to get that way. Once you get one of these down, move on to another plane and start all over.

The idea ia to have fun, not get frustrated because your stalling your 109 while some guy keeps shooting your wings off.

Offline Gulp

• Copper Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »
Well, I'm a noobe myself (4 months) but I would suggest giving the KI-84 a try.  Decent guns (but you have to conserve), great turner (but needs flaps when speeds get real low), fairly fast for a plane that turns so well, tougher than other Japanese rides, dives well (but makes you watch your speed).

Just a nice plane that is deadly in the hands of the good pilots, harder to learn than Spits but easy enough to not be frustrating when you are learning.  Works well for boom and zoom but can get you out of trouble if you get caught bleeding off your energy. A good ride to bnz the turn planes and turn fight the 51s, 190s, typhys, etc.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:42:37 PM by Gulp »

Offline DocRoe

• Zinc Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »
thanks all, thank you for all the suggestions, i found out that i love the C205 ( who would think that plane? lol ) and the P38L

Thanks again :)

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 02:39:47 PM »
DocRoe, I have been trying out the LA-7 with great success.  It has
2 or 3 20mm goes about 300mph in level flight, good looping, and its a decent stall fighter.

I hope this helps :aok

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
P40-B Warhawk
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 02:40:31 PM »
also a good BnZ fighter:o