Author Topic: Skuzzy I hv a new Gamming CPU here w/ ?'s  (Read 400 times)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Skuzzy I hv a new Gamming CPU here w/ ?'s
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »
Ok Skuzz, I have a new computer that I personally ordered, “Gateway FX 530XV”, last week w/ a Nvidia 7600 GT 2GB Ram blah, blah, blah. & NO VISTA :D

FX 530XV

So what exactly do I need to do to keep it in top notch condition for playin AHII?

<>
Thx in advance!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:41:32 PM by RATTFINK »
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
Get the background processes down to reasonable levels.
Allow as few as possible programs to startup at boot time.
Make sure your security settings are tight.

Basically, go through the stickies in this forum.  It should give you a good basisi to work with.

Oh, and avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
What virus scan would you recomend?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »
I can only tell you I would not use the above two I mentioned.  They have both gotten to be worse than the viruses they are supposed to protect a computer from.  Very, very intrusive products.

Heck, you cannot run McAfee without ActiveX being enebaled and that is one of the primary deliverry mechanisms for Spyware and Malware.

I do not use a virus program of any kind, so I cannot make a recommendation.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:45:10 PM »
Spy sweeper with antivirus works great.  They finally embedded virus protection into 1 program and its not a resourse hog at all.

Here is the link.

http://www.webroot.com/?WRSID=a3bb28a512c1edd5fd16e98cc58e8347
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
My family's had good comments on "AVG"s free version. I ditched Symantec for it not long ago, and have been running it on several machines with no problems.

In fact, my mother had a virus on her system that Symantec couldn't remove. It tried and failed every time. So I uninstall Symantec, reboot, install AVG, run a scan, and it removes it without a fuss.

Slicker'n snot.

Offline maque1

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »
AVG works great with AH.  I usually disable it to play though.  A virus thru UDP is unlikely I understand.  I keep my linksys firewall up tho.  No problems.

Maque1

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I can only tell you I would not use the above two I mentioned.  They have both gotten to be worse than the viruses they are supposed to protect a computer from.  Very, very intrusive products.

Heck, you cannot run McAfee without ActiveX being enebaled and that is one of the primary deliverry mechanisms for Spyware and Malware.

I do not use a virus program of any kind, so I cannot make a recommendation.

I'd just like to point out thats the retail product. If you can (legally) get the McAfee corporate product its probably the best there is as far as features go (and it is not based on .Net or ActiveX).

NOD32 would probably be the best retail product out there. Very good heuristics in this one.

AVG.... good luck.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
So last night I go to play AHII using my new computer for the first time & luckily I still had AH installed on the old CPU, otherwise I would have to remember what my 30 some buttons on my Saitek X52 were set at :O;  but I’m having problems w/ the auto level & speed staying on and the handling of the planes is real (if I may use a good technical term) ‘loosy goosy’ lol & even though I calibrated my throttle & stick I am unable to keep the rudder & throttle calibrated.

I’m also having a problem w/ my VOX.  I can hear everything & the mic sounds VERY sensitive but ppl say my VOX is VERY low.  I have gone to my ‘Control Panel’, Sounds & Audio Devices & looked at all the setting on my new computer and the mic Vol. is set to high, the mic boost is on;  but when I go to the ‘Test Hardware’ section of the “Voice” tab the sound of my voice does not transmit at a high vol. to pass the test on my new computer.  Although when I do a test on my old computer the audio speech test works .

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »
Rat..did you set the volume in BOTH playback and recording control?

In playback the mic should be muted and in recording it should be selected with 20db boost.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
When I get home I'll let you know. ty!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
Originally posted by maque1
AVG works great with AH.  I usually disable it to play though.  A virus thru UDP is unlikely I understand.  I keep my linksys firewall up tho.  No problems.

Maque1
I agree and it's FREE
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org