Author Topic: "strobe" flashing w/GeForce2  (Read 559 times)

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
"strobe" flashing w/GeForce2
« on: January 15, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
   I'm running a Gateway Pentium III 933, with a GeForce2 Pro 32 MB AGP card, Windows ME, DirectX 7.1 (came with ME), and the latest drivers from nVidia, the Detonator 3 drivers, version 6.31.  Occasionally--like every one or two minutes--I'm seeing a strobe-like flashing across the top half of the screen, maybe 2-3 times a second for a few seconds.  Sometimes switching views will fix it, sometimes it won't.  It's not a huge problem, but it's annoying.  Anybody got any ideas?  Would upgrading to DX8 help?

Thanks,
Moose (fpmoose)
The Flying Pigs
OINK!  OINK!  TO WAR!!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
I had it too.

Here's what worked for me:

Do a search for GeForce Tweak and d/l it.

Go to the beta tab and check the "scenesynchenable" box and then hit the "send to tray" tab at the bottom.

It cost me about 5 frames but it stopped the flash.

Here's where I found out about it:
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum10/HTML/000466.html

Good luck!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Hans

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2001, 03:31:00 AM »
I've got an Alienware 800mhz with a Nvidia Geforce II GTS card and I have that same problem.  1/3 of my screen would flash blue.  It wasn't just Aces High either, since Klingon Academy did the same thing.

It was bad when I first got my machine, then a week into it I re-installed Direct-X and although it never went away, it was greatly decreased.

However, recently the problem came back.

I hope this tweak thing works.

Hans.

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2001, 04:57:00 AM »
/*

[This message has been edited by blitz (edited 01-20-2001).]

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2001, 04:58:00 AM »
Hossa moose1,

just bought an Asus 7700 G-force2 GTS card w 32MB DDR- ram. Works great, never seen that strob thing.

intel cpu
128MB ram
w98 sec eddition
Dx 7.0a

Set FSAA to zero & immage quality to very high

Driver Asus 5.33a (Don't thing that is the latest driver, but rock solit)

blitz

[This message has been edited by blitz (edited 01-20-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Go to the gateway website and download the driver for it.

Gateway generally overclocks the video cards to make their systems look better and thus charge you more for the same thing. Downloading the drivers from the manofacturer of the card may sometimes make your vid card worse.

-Tac-
Ex-Gateway Tech

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Wow, thanks for the replies guys.  Toad, I downloaded GeForce Tweak and turned on "scenesynchenable" and that seemed to do it.  I also had folks suggesting to disable vsync and tweak the prerendering frames; that cut it down a bit, but didn't fix it.  Tweak did.

Tac, that's interesting.  The Gateway drivers were pretty new, 12/4/2000, actually newer than the nVidia Detonator3 6.31 I installed.  I used GeForce Tweak (which includes the "coolbits" thing) to enable the overclocking panel, and right now overclocking seems to be turned off...but I suppose I probably overwrote something when I installed the new drivers.  Given this new "flex mid-tower" case they're using, is it even safe to overclock the cards?  It doesn't look like there's any extra cooling in there to compensate for overclocking.  I hadn't thought about doing it but hey, I may give it a go...the greed for speed is a horrible thing.  

Moose (fpmoose)
The Flying Pigs
OINK!  OINK!  TO WAR!!

Hans

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2001, 11:34:00 PM »
I downloaded it too (207k) and set that one check.

It seems to work now, though I have no idea what it does or why.

For what it is worth, I had downloaded WarBirds again to try it out for nastalgia, and thats when the blue screen flicker became bad.

Hans.

Offline goat10

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.home.net/goat10/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
Moose1 I thougt I was the only one to have the Blue Flash Of Death. Yes it bugs the heck out of me. I am going to download the Tweek also. BTW Tec can you give me advise on how to handel Gateway? At the moment I am VERY PISSED OFF at them, say one thing and do the other. All I am getting from them is "Sorry send us $400.00 and we will fix it for you"

------------------
I Hate It When That Happens!