Author Topic: Karnak gets married, er, got married. (photos)  (Read 801 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Karnak gets married, er, got married. (photos)
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:53:42 PM »
I have been so busy with work, papers and travel that I haven't found the time to post about my marriage.  I shall now try to rectify that oversight.

On Febuary 17 I started on my journey to India, where I expected to marry my girlfriend, if we could convince her father that not all Americans get divorces every 6 months like certain starlets do.  I flew from San Francisco to Los Angeles, from Los Angeles to Taipei, from Tapei to Kuala Lumpur and from Kuala Lumpur to Mumbai, arriving about 34 hours after taking off from San Francisco and at 10:00PM local time.

My girlfriend, her father, brother, aunt and cousin met me at the airport, after a delay involving my luggage having failed to arrive (it was left in Los Angeles) and her cousin drove us to Pune where her family lives.  We arrived in Pune at about 2:00AM.

Her mother was already pretty sure we were going to get married and had made some preperations already, and after talking with her father and some of his friends her father decided I wasn't a normal, to his mind, American and was a suitable match for his daughter.  The odd thing is, I never really got a chance to ask her if she wanted to marry me.  Once her father decided I was acceptable, everything just kicked into automatic and my fiancee and I really didn't have much say in it.

After hurriedly completing the arrangements, with help from family friends, our wedding was arranged for Febuary 26th.  Her parents rented a hall in a hotel and arranged for food for all of the guests (no, I don't know how many) and on the evening of the 25th I was sequested away in said hotel so as to prevent me from seeing the bride before I was supposed to.

This was taken in the hall after we had been married and before we had been there for four hours greeting guests and having our photos taken with them:

This shot was taken during the ceremony.  If I recall correctly, her uncles, the three men standing near her, were giving their blessing here.  The priest can be seen handing a decanter to her uncles which they subsequently poured onto the sheet in which we were holding hands:

Later in the ceremony a fire was lit and as the priest chanted we spooned oil onto it.  Then later, when this was taken, we would walk around the fire while the priest chanted, then spoon more oil, then walk around the fire, and so on.  I watched her dress very carefully here.

Here you can see the Bridal Mehndi patterns on her hands.  The stains were made with henna and faded gradually over the next month or so:

My father-in-law and mother-in-law standing on either side of us late in the evening:

And, last photo for now, Yogesh Behl, a family friend of theirs who helped greatly in arranging for the hall.  He is the Ruling Party Leader, Ex. Chairman Standing Committee, Councillor: P.C.M.C.:

After the wedding we spent two nights in the hotel and then went to Mahabaleshwar, a Hill Station, where we stayed for five days.  It was a four hour bus ride to get there, which wasn't too bad except for when the guy sitting behind us threw up with great force.  Fortunately ours seats backs blocked it for us and the bus had lots of spare seating to move to.  My wife was sleeping at the time and initially didn't want to move, but once awake and alert was happy that I had moved us.  I gave the poor guy my bottle of water to clean up with.

In Mahabaleshwar we stayed in a hotel on the outskirts of the town.  Mostly we stayed to ourselves, but we also took a couple of guided tours.  It was a fun stay and was too short, but we had things that needed doing back in Pune before I left.  I'll make it up to her someday, but now we have other things to work on.

I flew out of India on March 10th and, thanks to the date line, arrived in the US on March 10th as well, though I spent about 30 hours traveling.

Since then I have been working on getting my wife back into the US.  Her US visa is, frusteratingly, expired.  Today I sent off a package of documents to the immigration lawyer we have hired to expedite the process.  He thinks he can have her K-3 visa approved in about three months.

I'll try to answer any questions that you have.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics Karnak! Congrats once again!

And tell them to be careful with the strawberries at the ceremony, apparently some of them splashed onto your forehead. ;)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
Gratz..

How did you guys met? Online?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:13:02 PM »
Congrats on the marriage and I hope things work fast to bring her home. Where did you happen to meet?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

storch

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:19:09 PM »
congratulations

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
Thank you all.

We met via my sister.  My wife took a pottery class at the JC in Chico, CA while she was attending Chico State University and met my sister there.  I was introduced to her shortly afterwards, but not with any romantic intentions.  That happened later via chat.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
One other thing that I thought people here would be interested in.  While flying over Japan at 39,000ft on the way to Taipei, the 747 was fighting 230mph headwinds.  It was doing less than 400mph over the ground.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 10:27:53 PM »
Congrats man, best wishes for a long happy healthy live together.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »
Congratulations Karnak! Looks like a really special wedding for an Amurikan, must have been fun! :)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »
Congrates ...

now for the truth ... How many Camels and sheep did she cost ya ???
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
Congrates ...

now for the truth ... How many Camels and sheep did she cost ya ???

Well, other way around.  Her parents paid for the entire thing.  The only thing I had to buy was a ring.

Lucky me too.  I understand it cost quite a bit.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:10:22 AM »
Congratulations Karnak!:aok
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
Her father owns and operates some steel tempering furnaces.  When I went to see them they were making pistons for trains.

Her nephew is in a military prep school with the goal of flying fighters in the Indian Air Force.

She has a Masters in Computer Management and wants to get an MBA at some point too.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »
You think convincing her dad was tough?  Imagine the battle I went through when I tried to date my girl and her Bish dad wouldn't hear of his daughter datin' Rook!  J/K and...

CONGRATS!!!:aok

The best to you both!
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 12:19:18 AM »
Finally, someone with paler skin than me  :)

Congrats, Karnak.

My best friend married a lady from Indonesia, he had quite the ceremony over there.