Author Topic: Freshly Scanned WWII Individual Flight Records  (Read 342 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Freshly Scanned WWII Individual Flight Records
« on: April 07, 2007, 06:55:49 PM »

My father-in-law was a gunnery school pilot instructor at the Indian Springs/Las Vegas Flexible Gunnery School, which was part of the Army Air Force Western Training Command. He primarily flew AT-6s, P-39s, P-63s & RP-63s.  He also has time in AT-11s, B-26s, B-17s and even a SBD as well as primary and basic trainers.  I have his original flight logs “Individual Flight Records” and some certificates.  Today I scanned and cropped all 38 yellowed pages and uploaded them to my site.  If you like artifacts and have never viewed any WWII era pilot logs you may get a kick out of viewing them.  It’s nothing spectacular, but WWII aviation buffs might find it interesting.

Individual Flight Records:
http://www.wwiirt.com/usaaf/william_wilsterman/flight_logs/log_index.htm

Flight Ratings & Certificates:
http://www.wwiirt.com/usaaf/william_wilsterman/certificates/certificates.htm

My site/pages dedicated to my father-in-law, William J. Wilsterman:
http://www.wwiirt.com/usaaf/william_wilsterman/william_wilsterman.htm

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »
Are these documents you scanned yourself or is this stuff that was just recently scanned and released??

Looking for more info on my mother in laws brother if its available

I managed to peice together for her alot more then she knew from info I gathered at

The Official 381st Bomb Goup  Memorial Association

which is actually a very interesting and informative site

But always looking for more
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Are these documents you scanned yourself or is this stuff that was just recently scanned and released??

Looking for more info on my mother in laws brother if its available

I managed to peice together for her alot more then she knew from info I gathered at

The Official 381st Bomb Goup  Memorial Association

which is actually a very interesting and informative site

But always looking for more

I scanned them today.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
Cool, thanks Eskimo.

My father-in-law managed to spend his entire Army Air Corps career moving from training assignment to training assignment. He started out training as a B-17 pilot, then as a navigator, then as a bombardier, then he got reassigned to train on B-29s. He was finally posted to a unit and actually on a train for a Pacific posting when the war ended. He commented that he hadn't tried to stay out of combat, they just kept moving him around and he chalked it up to providence. He speculated that he probably had more flight hours in bombers than some combat vets.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:42:02 AM »
Good stuff, Eskimo.

Love the shot of the PT-19; what a great airplane it is.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Good stuff, Eskimo.

Love the shot of the PT-19; what a great airplane it is.

Thanks, that my favorite out of the few that I scanned.  Here's the caption I put with it:

The instructor (Civilian James M. Miller) is on the left, Bill is in the center, two other cadets are behind him and one other cadet is in the front seat of this PT-19.  Instructors typically trained four students a day, one at a time in the two seater.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 08:53:30 AM »
Yeah, I checked out your websites there; got me to thinking that I need to do that with some of my father's stuff. There's those general interest shots like he and some of his classmates riding horses on a ranch near San Antonio when they got Christmas day off. A local rancher just invited a few of the boys from the base out for Christmas dinner. What a great thing to do.

BTW, my brother owned a PT-19 that was at Victory Field for the duration. It could be one your father-in-law flew very easily. We'd have to go back through the records and see what the Army serial number was; I don't recall it off the top of my head.

Some of the Victory field PT's had Bugs Bunny on the tail leaning on a V I think.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!