Author Topic: B-25 variants  (Read 759 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
B-25 variants
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »
The following are the variants that should be included for the B-25...

Early War:  B-25C
The B-25C model was the first mass produced B-25 version; it was also used in the United Kingdom as the Mitchell II, and in Canada, China, the Netherlands, and the Soviet Union. First mass-produced B-25.

(Number made: 1,625)

Mid war:  B-25H
An improved version of the B-25G. It featured two more fixed .50-calibre machine guns in the nose, and four in fuselage-mounted pods; the heavy M4 cannon was replaced by a lighter 2.95-inch (75 mm) T13E1.

(Number made: 1,000; Number left flying in the world: one)

Late war:  B-25J
The last production model of the B-25, often called a cross between the B-25C and the B-25H. It had a transparent nose, but many of the delivered planes were modified to have a solid nose. Most of its 14–18 machine guns were forward-facing for strafing missions.

(Number made: 4,318)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »
Yep....what he said.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
The B-25C was built at the North American plant in Inglewood, CA. The B-25D was built at the North Amercian plant in Kansas City, Mo. They were essentially identical aircraft.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »
Change it to this

B25C/D  Glass nose version.  Covers the RAF birds as well as many of the Soviet lend lease versions.  Allows for MTO skins as well and North Africa.  Sub for the Doolittle bird if needed.

B25C/D Strafer.  The first of the gun nose versions.  Covers much of the PTO war where it got it's start.  Toad's Dad's bird was one of these. Since we came this far we need to get all the way and have "Quitch.   It would be usable for many Pac scenarios.

B25J gun nosed version
The final variant with the top turret forward, twin tail guns, waist guns and the 12 50s in the nose and in gun pacs.

I wouldn't do the H as in practice they more often then not removed the cannon and put 2 50s in it's place.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »
Agree, except I'd do the H as well. It had it's moments; my dad flew a brand spanking new (8 hours on it) H from Columbia, SC to New Guinea via Kansas City, Sacramento, Honolulu, Christmas Island and probably a few other stops in between.

When he got there, they took it away from him and gave him the right seat on Quitch. ;)

He has quite a story about the leg to Christmas island too. Think thunderstorms in the middle of the Pacific, a navigator that lost his way and no gas in the tanks. Unlike a few others though, he found Christmas Island in time.

I've got to try to get him to write some of those down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
in case you guys missed it because you were too busy peeing your pants with excitement, i thought i would be kind enough to copy/paste for you :D

Originally posted by Pyro
I'd like to see the C, H, and J in that order.  Whether all of those can make the next version will depend on how fast it goes to make the shapes.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ball
in case you guys missed it because you were too busy peeing your pants with excitement, i thought i would be kind enough to copy/paste for you :D

Saw that after the fact.  Scares me that we might just get only the glass nosed C model with the H and J.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
B-25 variants
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »
In the following PDF, on pages 5 through 7 shows several variants.

http://home.comcast.net/~akwxman/42BG/coverandpreface.pdf
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
B-25 variants
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Saw that after the fact.  Scares me that we might just get only the glass nosed C model with the H and J.

I *think* we can do the C model as a glass nose but with a strafer option that would add MG's and paint over  the nose.  Won't know for sure until we get into it, removing the nose gun in the strafer option might be problematic.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »
I *think* we can do the C model as a glass nose but with a strafer option that would add MG's and paint over  the nose.  Won't know for sure until we get into it, removing the nose gun in the strafer option might be problematic.

That would be great if you could pull that off Pyro.  Thanks for considering it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
No chance of getting the G and perkin it is there? Only thing bomber perks can be used for is 234s, which no one ever flies.

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:38:58 PM »
Except me.

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
B-25 variants
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »

Full steam ahead with this idea!  Even if it means a delay in its release, if it looks like this can be pulled off, I say by all means do it.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
B-25 variants
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I'm not sure if Russians AF and RAF used the straffer version for B-25C/D.  I think we should have B-25C with glass nose and a B-25D straffer version.