Author Topic: Some work related news today  (Read 494 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Some work related news today
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:22 PM »
Alittle back slapping here:

Some of you might be familiar with the Carnegie Mellon SEI/CMMI process improvement especially if you work in the IT business.

3 years ago I began a journey where the group I work for at Boeing had no test plan for the software we support, and an old fart that just said "go test" and some word documents that recorded test results. He was laid off in 2003 (30+ years and spent 7 out of 8 hours a day playing solitaire on Windows) and I volunteered to take over that job because I always felt "it could be done better".

During that 3 years I went back to school, got my Masters cert in PM, and got my Project Management Professional cert (PMP). I also created many Macroscope test plans, started coordinating the tests with schedules, linked test books to the schedule, captured the results in various Macroscope documents (Issues logs, P770s Global Test Results, and Lessons Learned artifacts), coordinated with external groups that we needed for test environments and created a high level M036 Work Breakdown Structure to capture all the testing that our group does. The journey to Level 3 SEI/CMMI was well underway during this 3 years and I've been leading a team of 5 Project Managers to capture all the Level 3 activities with artifacts since last year.

Today I was asked to join a dry run audit (my day off) and accepted the 2 hour meeting invitation (virtual). We were given a dry run audit of "Level 3 Certification" before our real audit this summer. We not only passed with flying colors, but I was told that my Test Plans for our group is being institutionalized in IT groups in our business unit!!! I was flabbergasted! I was wondering why so many PM's from other IT groups were coming to me over the past 6 months and picking my brain...today I found out why.

No big announcement, no "atta boy" toys (though I've gotten plenty in the past 7 years since I started working in IT) but when its announced by a CMMI auditor with a PHD in front of your boss, it gives you a special feeling that all the hard work that one puts in day in and day out finally comes to apogee.

On cloud 9 today!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »
Good for you Rip.  Congrats,
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »
Way to go! You have now elevated yourself to the upper echelons of uber geekness. :aok :aok :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »
WTG Man!!! BTW I hope you DO get some more "Attaboy toys" and cash thrown your way.  I hope boeing doesnt continue to outsource good people like yourself to communist china!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:39:45 PM »
Thanks Guys!
Mr.NN, actually one of my projects is outsourcing to an India consulting service, however we outsource the testing that no one wants to do here...it tedious, boring and we lose good engineering analysts due to this type of monotonous work, so its goodness.

My biggest challenges are resource leveling and scheduling using my uber-crystal ball, which can bite me sometimes. ;)

As far as compensation, my outgoing manager (2 weeks ago) gave me a very nice raise in March, so its all goodness!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »
Kewlio, wtg

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Well done young man, well done.

Now, work smarter, not harder.

Think outside the box.

We need a new paradigm.

Be proactive.

Institute a Total Quality Program

Embrace Six Sigma

Empower those at the ground floor level.

Focus on the core business.

Facilitate a customer driven rightsizing of the big picture.

:D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:37:10 AM »
WTG Rip! :)

Originally posted by Ripsnort
He was laid off in 2003 (30+ years and spent 7 out of 8 hours a day playing solitaire on Windows) and I volunteered to take over that job because I always felt "it could be done better".

You improved it by surfing the AH BBS for 7 1/2 hours a day? :D ;)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
WTG Rip! :)

You improved it by surfing the AH BBS for 7 1/2 hours a day? :D ;)
I am NOT in DENIAL with my addiction to the AH BBS!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/8668097/208681358.jpg

:lol

And apologies for not showing more modesty last night, I had had more than my normal amount of swill and was feeling NO PAIN last night when I posted.:huh
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 09:03:50 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:10:35 AM »
You replaced a guy who screwed around 7 out of 8 hours a day…
I’m sure you must work twice as much as him!

Seriously,
Congratulations Rip.