Author Topic: Question from a newbie  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Ayers

• Zinc Member
Question from a newbie
« on: April 20, 2007, 02:00:17 AM »
I'm afraid I'm probably asking an already asked question, but forgive my ignorance as I'm still in the two week trial and trying to learn a bit more about Aces High.

I haven't flown a lot, having started out getting murdered in tanks.  But I've taken up a Spitfire a few times now and enjoyed trying to get better at the flying part of the game.

While flying late tonight, I encountered the same situations on all three of the flights i took.

First time I was up in a Spitfire and alone, when a higher FW 190 and Ki-84 jumped me.  the FW 190 tried to head on me but missed.  I then started to turn with him and the other guy jumped in.  I managed to shoot him down and then the FW 190 ran away from me.  

I'd taken a full fuel tank and a drop tank so I started heading toward their base when I saw another FW 190 above and behind me as I chased the first 190.  I turned back towards him and he tried to shoot me in the nose but missed.  The other FW 190 kept going and the 2nd FW 190 then ran towards my base.  He must have figured out he was going the wrong way because he turned away from the base and kept climbing.  I was following him but not gaining on him.  I then saw another Ki-84 above and behind me.  So i turned back to him.  The FW 190 kept going away and the Ki-84 tried to shoot me in the nose and then he ran away towards his base.

I thought this game was really about air combat but no one wanted to fight.  It was kind of boring really.

I'd tried the tanks bit but always seemed to get blown up before I could get my engine started most times.

Is that how the game always is?

Thanks for the input.

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:10:46 AM »
:noid :noid

to answer your questions

Yes and No..

I would expand more but I smell something fishy here.........

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Question from a newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:12:46 AM »
nah, you can get some great fights. sounds like you found some timid idiots

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:18:29 AM »
*sniff* yup.

You survived a long time,and took alot of head on's
you are ither somewhat skilled or lucky.

Combat is depending on the situation, if these guys had the alt/seed/angel advantage,but you still slid in behind them, any pilot would try to run.

Now the fact you were aware enough to spot targets all around you "compentant use of view keys,or head set" enough to turn and attack a person who jumped in behind you. "multiple times"

Skilled or lucky,you may be a newbie to aceshigh,doubtful your a newbie with a aircraft tho.
D'oh,your question..plane,situation..pilots.
You will get the major of each type of pilot from time to time.

"Throws two cents"
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Question from a newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 05:45:08 AM »
What M. Biggles said.

The game is not always like that, it only has a lot of players who fly that way.  There are many players who will risk anything in the game to have a good fight.. Over time (since early AH days) the scale has tipped to the side of fight-less players (either noobs or scared or lazy.. the why of the matter would fill another thread altogether), but not by so much that you can't manage to get at least half of your sorties to include some good fights.

The tank thing is mostly due to the maps not being optimized for them.  "Tank town" in the middle of the center island on the ndisles map is an example of what just one variable (spawn point location) can do to sway things wrong.
Even so, you just need to learn to recognize when and where good ground vehicle fights happen.. they do, in the right circumstances.

There are many organized events, historical and not, with anywhere from 50 to 500+ participants, that you might find more fun.
Check the event calendar, and the official events website for more info.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Question from a newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:22:51 AM »
Depends, if your at 16k, yes you'll find few that want to come up and dance.

If your at 8k you'll find a few who are willing to take a swing at you. Might have to duck a HO or 2.

But if your at 1-4k and trailing a stream of leaking fuel you'll have every con in 50 miles trying to climb up your backside.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question from a newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ayers
he tried to shoot me in the nose but missed.  

I like this expression!

Stop into the Axis v. Allies arena some night if you see at least one other person in there.  Can't promise that no one will try to shoot you in the nose, but I can promise that they will come back.

- oldman

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 07:44:59 AM »
the FW 190 tried to head on me but missed.......and then the FW 190 ran away from me.  
That's what 190's do if they don't have the option of cherry picking someone in an ongoing fight :)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
A day in the life of a FW190 pile-it:

1. Grab 18,000 agl
2. Dive in, pork up a base
3. Vulch the runway until ammo's gone
4. Run home
5. Repeat

:rofl

Apologies to Doom :D

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 08:51:54 AM »
the futures so bright.

he's gotta wear shades.

:cool:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »
This the same Ayers that was on 200 taunting people?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Question from a newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
It's funny how the "feel" of the start of this thread
I thought this game was really about air combat but no one wanted to fight. It was kind of boring really.

is in line with the Horde Mentatlity thread and this is Ayers first post.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »
Something isn't right here...

:noid
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
Question from a newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
bs (cough)....cough
just my .02

Offline Flame 2 the boy

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
I'm afraid I'm probably asking an already asked question, but forgive my ignorance as I'm still in the two week trial and trying to learn a bit more about Aces High.

I haven't flown a lot, having started out getting murdered in tanks.  But I've taken up a Spitfire a few times now and enjoyed trying to get better at the flying part of the game.

While flying late tonight, I encountered the same situations on all three of the flights i took.

First time I was up in a Spitfire and alone, when a higher FW 190 and Ki-84 jumped me.  the FW 190 tried to head on me but missed.  I then started to turn with him and the other guy jumped in.  I managed to shoot him down and then the FW 190 ran away from me.  

I'd taken a full fuel tank and a drop tank so I started heading toward their base when I saw another FW 190 above and behind me as I chased the first 190.  I turned back towards him and he tried to shoot me in the nose but missed.  The other FW 190 kept going and the 2nd FW 190 then ran towards my base.  He must have figured out he was going the wrong way because he turned away from the base and kept climbing.  I was following him but not gaining on him.  I then saw another Ki-84 above and behind me.  So i turned back to him.  The FW 190 kept going away and the Ki-84 tried to shoot me in the nose and then he ran away towards his base.

I thought this game was really about air combat but no one wanted to fight.  It was kind of boring really.

I'd tried the tanks bit but always seemed to get blown up before I could get my engine started most times.

Is that how the game always is?

Thanks for the input.

Did these happen to be rooks? lol j/k