Author Topic: An idea for a new dot command.....  (Read 710 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
An idea for a new dot command.....
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
Not sure if this has ever been posted before, but how about a new game function to help out buff pilots? (Well mainly buff pilots but it could help fighter pilots as well.) The function I have in mind would be something like .formation , or .formation Beefcake for instance.
    What would it do? If typed it would activate an auto pilot that took over steering and throttle control and would bring the plane(s) into a locked formation behind the "target" aircraft. Each person that "locked in" would fall into a pre determined slot behind the leader until all the spots were full or no one is left. In order for the formation to stay together the lead aircraft would always have to throttle back, no magic over speeding buffs, also the leader could not perform any violent maneuvers. Basically like the drones we have now, if the lead plane turned to hard of climbed/dove to steep then it would cause the auto pilot on the formation planes to kick off.
     Now the reason why I think this could be useful. First of all, people that fly any kind of buff, especially the B17's and B24s, are basically having to do the jobs of 30 guys, 12 if you have a gunner. I think any buff pilot that has had to hold a formation while they are under attack would tell you that it is very hard. It only takes a few seconds of being off course for you to drift out of the formation, and when you do, you become easy pickins for fighters. Trying to maintain formation and gun can be VERY hard to do. The reason I offer this idea is simple, it would allow the lead buff pilot to concentrate on flying the formation while the wingman concentrate on the enemy. Now the other buff pilots would still have to drop their own bombs, but a formation command would make it easier to reform after the drop.

What do you all think? Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts on this?
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 02:14:31 PM »
Part of the fun of flying buffs is keeping formation. I would not like it.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »
Yeah!

How about another dot command to link all their defensive fire together too!

.hose

Lets say 6 formations of bombers come together. You got 18 B17's or whatever flying in perfect formation and with this command you can have up to 36 .50 cals all firing at a single target.

Sorry. Too funny. Couldn't resist.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »
Been brought up many times. In fact, I myself brought up that very idea. My idea also included the bomb bay doors and bomb release being done exactly as the "lead" bomber does it.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »
Kermit is good at organizing these types of formations and keeping everyone in line. I'd get with him on it.

What you are describing could be achieved by careful cooperation and trim. Try it!

:)
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 02:53:38 PM »
It is the bomber pilots' JOB and CHALLENGE to form and maintain a formation. It is the interceptors' job to break the formation.

Forming and maintaining a formation simply requires discipline. The leader can never fly with full throttle. He should announce every move in advance and make the moves gently considering both the inside and outside planes and how they can maneuver. All other planes should maintain their positions by gentle hand or, rather, by steering with trims. This is the fun of formation flying with bombers.

Why on earth should it be made automatic? Shouldn't the fighter pilots then also get a .breaktargetformation command to counter the balance ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Well my thing is this, in real life the bomber pilot flew the plane, when he was under attack he didn't just abandon the controls and run back the tail gunners position. Bomber pilots in aces high have to do the jobs of 3 full crews and sometimes that can be a huge handfull.

Here is another idea, maybe make it a perk option? For 20 non-refunded perks you can buy the formation command.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:41:03 PM by Beefcake »

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
Oh and Repo I'm used to leading large formations, trust me, I know the joys and pains of it. :)

Offline Wannab

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »
I like it
and for the players that dont .....
its a dot command therefore they dont have to use it:aok
as for the guns they should be aimed by the pilot of each formation
not all linked

:D :O :D

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:29:37 PM »
To easily solve your issue, I'll introduce a solution that HTC has had for a long long time.

Ask a friend or two, to man your gunner positions in your air craft... Why wouldn't this work?  You will fly the plane, they can gun for you.  This way you could keep formation (flying the plane), while your gunners can defend your plane/formation.
Mak

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 04:33:41 PM »
Originally posted by Mak333
To easily solve your issue, I'll introduce a solution that HTC has had for a long long time.

Ask a friend or two, to man your gunner positions in your air craft... Why wouldn't this work?  You will fly the plane, they can gun for you.  This way you could keep formation (flying the plane), while your gunners can defend your plane/formation.

Quit making so much sense!!!!  The wild fantasy was entertaining.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Quit making so much sense!!!!  The wild fantasy was entertaining.

You're so right...

I apologize for my behavior.
Mak

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
i see mockery is still 100% allowed in these forums.......

......sigh.  :furious

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »
I know the dot command for "winning t3h war"!!!!!   I ain't telling either
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member