Author Topic: Air to air rockets  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
#2 dont try to be smarter the me because I r t3h l33t!!!!!!1!:p

& U can fly threw the VH upsidedown:D

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
& U can fly threw the VH upsidedown:D

With a fully loaded F4U:p
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 05:54:02 AM »
Originally posted by AAolds
The rockets in WWII were really meant for use vs ground targets.  Air to Air missles really did not come out till the 1950s.

It's a good thing you didn't quit.   I see you still have some learning to do.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Air to air rockets
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 06:05:26 AM »
Hostile geekiness - a deeply unattractive quality, exhibited in spades by some in this thread.

Perhaps if you were a little nicer to people, new folks would stick around for longer.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline JB17

• Zinc Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
Had more success in AHI than II.  We tend to only use them on level bombers and at 1.3 on their 6, nearly matching speed but closing.  Aim high enough that the bombers are out of site under your nose (110) and let em rip.  

Best results have taken out entire formations (many accusations of cheating) which is fun but very infrequent.  

We really just use them to fool around with.  Not really part of a serious mission loadout.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 08:27:23 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Funny that he makes a statement to stop exactly what the statement is itself. Oh well, carry on.

Exactly.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 09:24:53 AM »
Here are a few films showng how to use the WGr21s (Biggles and I were in the TA when I shot him so thats why he didnt die in the Lanc film. If we were somewere else he would have lost atleast two of his planes if not all of them.)

Click Here
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »
I used to have regular success with the rockets on the 110 - now I don´t have much time for playing anymore. Here is how I did it:

Approach the bombers from dead six. Zoom in a little, and keep the formation about two thirds down the line wich extends down from the circle in the aiming reticule. In other words, one third of that little line is below the bombers, two thirds above. Keep the bombers there, be smooth on the controls. If you keep them there for lets say 45 seconds while you approach, you will enter a stable altitude relationship with the target, i.e. both target and shooter are in level flight, taking vertical velocity out of the equation. Once the range drops from 1.5 to 1.0 let loose with maybe a 1 second spacing.

The parameters will change with altitude, speed, and rate of closure, but this is a good setting to start. Film your attack run, later you can review it and see to which side you erred.
The 110 is a fairly big target, and the 50 cals will start hitting you almost at that range. If the bomber isn´t suspecting a rocket attack he might wait to open fire and you might get lucky. In other words don´t linger and watch, at 900 and closing you are dead against mediocre and better gunners.

Litjan, 1.hessische Freibierstaffel

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »
Heres a pic for one of the films. Shot all four from 1.2k out.

JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
Nice films. I've been able to kill PTs, and inadvertently knock down the odd fighter, but beyond that, the woogerz haven't really worked out for me.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »
I tried these for the first time today.

I sat 1.0 behind a few sets of 24s, tried to mimick your method in those films you proved, Truekill and for some reason they seemed to keep exploding short of the buffs and doing no damage.

Lined them up on the bottom of the sight 'ring' and nose-up a little...  The explosions where right should have been... they just seemed to not make it.

I got fed up with it not working so I just blew in on a set of 24s nice and fast, let them go as I banked away at 400 yrds and:

What I noticed here though was the lack of apparent damage to the other 24. Both rockets hit the lead 24 dead six but there was no collatoral damage to the drone. I watched the film and the rockets actually broke the tail section off the lead 24 before they exploded.

Also, do the rocket tubes detach after the rockets are fired?
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
They were detachable if the fighter useing them got into trouble. But only if they were attacked by other fighter. I don't know why HTC didn't model them that way. If they ever choose to model them right you could just loose 5perks if you jettison them.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
I kinda like keeping the tubes... You want the powah, gotta pay the price.

I, too, have been noticing that the rockets want to detonate BEHIND the target no matter how far I fire them.

Fired at 1.4 they seem to be close but behind, fired at 1.2 same, fired at 1.0 SAME!

wtf?? Is the propwash pushing them backward??

Which gunsite were you using, mate? Also, how'd you get enemy bombers to let you sneak up to 400 on them? At that range 20mms are more effective! :rofl

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »
In the 110 I get right behind them get to about 300mph and right when they get 1.5K away I count to 10 and shoot one every second and I get then easy.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
Next time you do, take a screenshot of the sight image, please. Or film it and snag the screenshot from the viewer. I'm curious how high up you pitch, and what angle, and all that jazz.