Author Topic: Restart issue  (Read 953 times)

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
Restart issue
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »
Interesting development.....

Got a BSOD for the first time.  I haven't changed anything.  Said there was a problem with
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

then the usual stuff

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
Restart issue
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »
Ok so i ran driver verifier to get rid of the above problem with blue screens.  Well this really screwed up my computer, had to uninstall norton to keep from getting another blue screen at start up from a filed related to it.  Finally i get everything squared away and have to reinstall my video card drivers.  Well i haven't had a restart in a while(haven't played for a prolonged period of time yet) but i have noticed that my FPS have dropped dramatically.  I also reinstalled AH as an attempt to fix this.  Well i use to get 55 in a fight, but now when it gets busy it drops down to 15 sometimes.  I doubt it is resource starvation because there are plenty of resources.  Running at 256 to try and help but this doesn't do much for me and all the settings are as low as possible, so i dunno.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Restart issue
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 12:13:34 AM »
Sounds like heat/ cooling issues. Try cleaning your fans, ensure they are running. They might not be running fast enough for cooling properly, may need to replace. That is a high temp at idle for sure, mine runs 45C at full load (AMD 4000+, 4g ddr 333, 7900 GTX) but I also use 2 80 mm fans, and a 120 mm side fan + the chip fan.
                                                                 Good Luck,
                                                                     Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Restart issue
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 04:07:29 AM »
Originally posted by Irwink!
I mean no offense, Clutz, but PROPER grounding is one of the most misunderstood concepts for professionals in the electrical field including electrical engineers. I know very well what a ground rod is and have installed many, generally as a single part of a total grounding system. I spent 25 years as a licensed commercial/industrial electrician after serving a 4 year indentured apprenticeship.

What you describe, driving some kind of ground rod, will work but has the very real potential consequence of killing or seriously injuring someone. Electrical services, from the single circuit breaker or fuse panel in your house to a large switchgear(s) in a commercial building or manufacturing plant or what-have-you, are grounded at or near the point of entry from the utility. Its been that way for many years and before the 70 year old house you mentioned. That's why someone gets shocked when they contact energized parts - because somewhere their body is in whole or partial contact with a ground and there is a potential difference between that ground and the electrical supply.  That grounding system is why a circuit breaker trips on short circuit, not an overcurrent condition but an actual short to ground. Its part of how the system works.

Once you drive an additional ground rod you create a second point of ground reference for the electrical service. Fault current occurring nearer the second ground reference than the original service ground reference will travel to that second point of reference into earth ground. From that point it does not stop. It still attempts to reach the first ground reference and does so by traveling through the earth. When people or animals get in proximity of the path of that current through the earth is when the possibility of injury comes into play. Lots of stuff can and then does happen.
That's the part that so few people in the electrical industry itself don't even understand. What you don't know CAN hurt you or others.

I'm not going to go into any further long-winded explanation. Don't take my word for it. Look for yourself. You can start here:

http://www.mikeholt.com/index.php?id=homegeneral

Read and search in the forum. Don't ask any do-it-yourself advice though. If you do you better have your internet tough guy thick skin on. The people there are professionals and they'll help you understand but they will not give you advice on rolling your own electrical installations.

OT/ The building code here requires you to bury a bare copper cable 3ft deep in the soil, usually around the house so that it forms a minimum of 80ft long loop.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone