Author Topic: First Build!  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 04:32:24 AM »
That sounds like good advice, I probably wont be doing any large file editing so I'll stick with the larger single drive.

I'll order after the Bank Holiday, should be building it next weekend - wife and boy packed off to the mother inlaws for the day! :)

Thanks Fulmar/Eagl

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 07:21:23 AM »
Baggy...

That mobo doesn't support the memory you have paired with it. The mobo requires 1.8v 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 memory.

The memory you have paired with it is 1.9-2.3v 4-4-4

You want the GeIL PC2-6400C5 not C4

Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

You're pretty close to the system I'm thinking about building...

Rosewill R5604-TBK Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Case
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor
Radeon X1650 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Broadway Com Corp Okia-black-650 ATX 650W Power Supply
WINTEC 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory
HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 (0A30356) 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model SHD-16S1S-05

Total cost - $627 + shipping

The HD might seem small to some but I've had an 80gb drive on my current system for 3 years and it's still 59% empty.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:12:48 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
First Build!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 10:04:42 AM »
If you go for raid go for Raid5 straight away.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »
You have me worried NHawk!

I did a little research before so I thought I'd got everything compatible.

The store I'm getting the RAM from bundles this with the mobo so I'm a little confused.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-036-OK

Anyone used this board and RAM?

Cheers

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
First Build!
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets

This is right off the spec sheet on newegg....

BTW this board has 600 reviews on newegg. A suprising number % wise at 4 eggs or less including 14% (80+) with just 1 or 2 eggs...I like GB stuff alot but that suprises me....

Here is a review I came across where they load up PC-8500 DDR2 and it runs fine. Just make sure the place you buy it from will exchange if you have a problem...

MB review
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:56:28 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets

This is right off the spec sheet on newegg....

BTW this board has 600 reviews on newegg. A suprising number % wise at 4 eggs or less including 14% (80+) with just 1 or 2 eggs...I like GB stuff alot but that suprises me....

Here is a review I came across where they load up PC-8500 DDR2 and it runs fine. Just make sure the place you buy it from will exchange if you have a problem...

MB review
I read quite a few of the negative reviews. Most of them are related to overclocking, and mismatched components.

I actually think it might be partially because people don't "read" the specs completely. I paired this board with memory similar to what Baggy had. Then while double checking specs on everything I spotted the 1.8v warning.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
First Build!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Baggy...

That mobo doesn't support the memory you have paired with it. The mobo requires 1.8v 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 memory.

The memory you have paired with it is 1.9-2.3v 4-4-4

You want the GeIL PC2-6400C5 not C4

Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

For the most part this is true what he said.  However, it is possible to use that 1.9V+ memory configurations with the 965 chipset.  Yet, there is a downisde.  You would need a 1.8V stick to boot into the BIOS of the motherboard and up the voltage on the RAM to 1.9V or more (only increase it beyond 1.9V if you want to overclock the RAM).  Then you'd have to put in the new 1.9V rated RAM and it would work then.  If you put the 1.9V RAM in right away it is unlikely you would be able to even boot into the BIOS.

This was one of the reasons why I avoided the 965 chipset.  It is a very good chipset, but I did not want to mess with the picky-ness of the memory.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
First Build!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 02:09:22 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
I read quite a few of the negative reviews. Most of them are related to overclocking, and mismatched components.

Actually, the board is reviewed highly for overclocking (the rev 3.3 of the DS3).  It's one of the most stable motherboards in the 965 chipset.  The memory mismatching is a different matter.  Many people have been able to reach 3.6ghz+ clock speeds with C2D's (of course they're using water cooling).  You can get about 500mhz overclock safely on the C2D's on a stock HSF.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
My board, of course, has the 975 chipset but my RAM is rated 1.9-2.2v.  It booted with both sticks the first time  with no problems @ the board's default 1.8v.  GSkill tech support told me that, much like RAM's speed rating, the voltage rating just means the RAM is guaranteed to run @ rated speed/timings with that voltage.  I bumped it up to 1.9v when I manually set the timings to 12-4-4-4 as it initially defaulted to looser timings.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
First Build!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »
Originally posted by DAVENRINO
My board, of course, has the 975 chipset but my RAM is rated 1.9-2.2v.  It booted with both sticks the first time  with no problems @ the board's default 1.8v.  GSkill tech support told me that, much like RAM's speed rating, the voltage rating just means the RAM is guaranteed to run @ rated speed/timings with that voltage.  I bumped it up to 1.9v when I manually set the timings to 12-4-4-4 as it initially defaulted to looser timings.

This is true as well, depends on the RAM though.  A lot of labels and specifications on websites never let you know.  Read some other tech forums and you'll see numerous threads on people praying for help on why their new build doesnt work.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
First Build!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 09:32:07 PM »
Personally my thoughts are you OC your old box, not your new one:). Especially given the current "horsepower". I've OC''d my 6600, memoery and VC pretty significantly (70%+ increase in aquamark and other benchmarks)...but why? It runs AH maxed out across the board (in Vista with all defualt processes running) with F/R pegged at V-sync....the hardware is so far ahead of any real demand at this point its not really worth OCing anymore IMO (on a new build)...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 12:59:18 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Personally my thoughts are you OC your old box, not your new one:). Especially given the current "horsepower". I've OC''d my 6600, memoery and VC pretty significantly (70%+ increase in aquamark and other benchmarks)...but why? It runs AH maxed out across the board (in Vista with all defualt processes running) with F/R pegged at V-sync....the hardware is so far ahead of any real demand at this point its not really worth OCing anymore IMO (on a new build)...

I  totally agree.  That is why I haven't overclocked the new rig, YET.  Of course I will at some point if I think it will be an improvement.  I oc'd my Barton 2500 the first day it was running but haven't felt the need with the Conroe.:D
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 03:43:56 AM »
Good info guys, Ill try that ram and see how I get on. As you say, it shouldn't need OC'ing yet, so lets just see if I can get it running!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 05:22:26 AM »
Originally posted by Baggy
Good info guys, Ill try that ram and see how I get on. As you say, it shouldn't need OC'ing yet, so lets just see if I can get it running!
That's the way to go in the beginning. :aok

One more thing, consider getting a northbridge cooler. After a ton of research it runs hot on that board.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 05:49:13 AM »
Righto NHawk, I'll look into that. Cheers