Author Topic: First Build!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
Thanks chaps,

I have the extra 120mm fan plus the 80 and 92 in the duct system so it should be ok!

I'm getting some Arctic Silver to stick on it. What is the correct orientation for the heatsink? It didn't specify in the instructions.

I really don't want to damage the cpu!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
First Build!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »
I have the same CPU (E6420). It comes with 2 nearly-trapezoidal shapes of thermal paste on it. I think that's just "cool looks" marketing, as it'll all mush together when you put it on.

The proper way to orient the heatsink is such that the fan plug has enough reach to the fan power pins, but then you wrap the excess of the fan cables around the blades of the heatsink (if you can picture what I'm saying) so that you minimize the slack.

In short: It works no matter which way you mount it.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »

Those stripes aren't there for looks. They have to do with the location of the cores in the CPU and initial contact for the thermal compound.

The stripes should be vertical on the CPU for proper initial contact. If it was installed with the stripes horizontal on the CPU then that could be the problem.

If you use Arctic Silver, be sure to READ the instructions. A little goes a long way. Using too much is not good.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:54:23 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
First Build!
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
NHawk, the thickness of the application of the factory-provided paste is such that putting it on the CPU itself would negate any pattern anyways. It would squash and mix together like play-doh. They might as well have just put a solid square block on like my previous HSF came with.

You want to use a very thin layer of AS5. The size of a small pea. About maybe 3 to 4 mm around. I think the instructions I printed out at home a while back suggested using a straight razor blade to squeegee it out flat across the top of the CPU, until it was nice and thin, then put the HS on top.

Oh, don't forget to clean the old factory-provided stuff off before putting AS5 on.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
I did have trouble getting the pins on the heatsink to click in and shifted it around so that may well be the problem. It would be nice for them to say which way to mount it in the instructions!

Thanks again guys

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 01:10:44 PM »
Whats the best cleaner to use?

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
ArctiClean?
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
First Build!
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
Mineral spirits work, if I recall. Or rubbing alcohol, I think. Those come to mind for things I've read on the AS5 instruction sheet I printed out a while ago.

Use a lint-free cloth, too.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
First Build!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
Krusty, just FYI this is directly from the AS5 instructions for a core 2 duo..

"Put a very thin line in close proximity to the center of the heatspreader as depicted in red, like the photo at left. Be CAREFUL to apply the thermal compound in the CORRECT DIRECTION"

For cleaning...Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants. (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with high-purity isopropyl alcohol.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:34:11 PM by NHawk »

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
First Build!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
Again, thanks for the info guys

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
First Build!
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Krusty, just FYI this is directly from the AS5 instructions for a core 2 duo..

"Put a very thin line in close proximity to the center of the heatspreader as depicted in red, like the photo at left. Be CAREFUL to apply the thermal compound in the CORRECT DIRECTION"

For cleaning...Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants. (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with high-purity isopropyl alcohol.)

Those same instructions also recommend using a coffee filter as a good lint free cloth. Kinda nice if you're scratching your head over what to use.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
First Build!
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2007, 11:18:46 PM »
I don't think that makes any sense. When you're done the paste will cover the entire top plate anyways. It will be uniform in thickness (being squashed flat) and will spread out. IMO it doesn't matter if you make a line like it says.

Also, not sure where they got that CPU, it looks like it's got a raised lip and that the top of the CPU drops inward several milimeters. No CPU I've seen in a LONG time has ever had that (because then the HS wouldn't be flat! It'd touch the rim and nothing else!!!)