Author Topic: 100 octane?  (Read 922 times)

Offline DweebFire

• Zinc Member
100 octane?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 09:25:09 PM »
Oh wow! did not know that. Would that mean something like 115 octane in the US would be like 150 octane in britain or something? i'm not getting as to how those F4U-4's in the http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-4.pdf file are climbing at 4770 fpm @ SL. this one fact of the octane being calculated differently may be the one shot of proof i'll need so i can understand.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
100 octane?
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
The higher the octane rating, the lower the flash point, therefore higher boost could be used without causing detonation.

I do not think Navy/Marine Corps units had access to 150 octane fuel in the combat zone of the PTO.  Widewing knows more about this than probably anyone on the boards, and could set me straight if I'm wrong.  IIRC, he stated in another thread that 150 octane (in combat zones) was limited to 8th Air Force for the most part.  So, if they were only using lower grade fuel, they wouldn't be able to pull as much manifold pressure as a test pilot back in the States, i.e. lower climb rate from less horsepower.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
100 octane?
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 03:01:41 AM »
Originally posted by morfiend
Hmmm,maybe there are hoses and lines that run from rads to engine.
 all likely to be damaged by rounds bouncing around the engine compartment.

If this is the case then it seems illogical that .50 hits from above and behind could damage the radiator. This seems to happen all too often when buff hunting.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
100 octane?
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
Originally posted by Xasthur
If this is the case then it seems illogical that .50 hits from above and behind could damage the radiator. This seems to happen all too often when buff hunting.

Well, I wont claim to understand HT's damage modeling,but I seems to me that only a certain amount of compenets can be listed.So damage to a coolant line would appear as damage to Rad.Also a cracked block,50"s will do this,might be represented as engine and radiator damage.

1 other thing to consider,the engine is mounted inverted,so this might also contribute to those above,behind shots registering as rad damage.

The only way to rid yourself of this problem is to fly a Radial engined plane.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
100 octane?
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
The performance of the 109's suffered near the end of the war because the Germans could not produce enough High octane fuel and started to use lower grade.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
100 octane?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 06:34:54 PM »
Another would be the newer, less experienced pilots. Some of whom bailed out when in the sights of an Allied plane.

Btw, Xasthur, please don't thread hijack. If you need some clarification, the HTC community will be more than happy to help if you start your new thread. Plus, you'll probably get more help there.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.