Author Topic: so 262 is built like a zeke for realism or gameplay?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
so 262 is built like a zeke for realism or gameplay?
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »
I've had both half of my wings ripped off from battle, flew it out of battle and pursuing aircraft, and landed it. :)

I even have the film to prove it :)

PM if you want it.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
my only problem with the 262 is that i never fly one for more than 10 mins without being disconected. i can fly for 5 hours straight in any other plane and never disco once, soon as its a tiger or a 262 i lose connection.

wtf HTC?
do you just hate me or something?

LOL I know. Ever time I get in a perk plane I loose UDP.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 01:13:58 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Layer of steel, aluminum casting, and another layer of steel = pretty damn near bulletproof to me!

lol
Even pistol AP bullet can penetrate kevlar vest with titanic plates :rolleyes: W/o knowing layer's thickness you can say nothing about its protection.

Yeah, those PWs are absurd! You're looking directly at your attacker most of the time and take a pilot wound WITHOUT taking any bulletholes to the canopy! Anywhere!

Because pilot a little bigger than canopy glass hight and you dont have engine in nose that protect you from the front? The only absurd here is your understanding of aircraft protection.

FYI: 12mm machinegun can penetrate ~15mm armour from ~500m.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:25:04 AM by Oleg »
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 01:50:14 AM »
Layer of steel, aluminum casting, and another layer of steel = pretty damn near bulletproof to me!

Why not go get some and we will test your theory?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 04:18:02 AM »
The 262 is best vs bombers IMO.  Ive limped my 262 home on 1 engine often and even got one home that had part of both wings tore off due to my not flying it right.  Great plane when used correctly, costly when not.  It just needs drop tanks and more ammo-----LOL.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:10 AM »
Originally posted by Furball

Only if you stand behind it.:rofl
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
Originally posted by Furball

Sure...

Only I get to come at you at speeds over 500mph, and there has to be 10-15 other people around me WITHOUT this composite metal surrounding them, to represent the rest of the airframe that DOESN'T have this layered metal around them, and if you miss me you get killed by massive grenade-sized explosions (30mm).

In that case I'd be willing to test it out.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »
i dont care if there's a battleship infront of me, no mutha is shooting a real live 3cm tater in my direction with my blessing.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
The engines of the 262 were not protected by armor, and they were very succeptable to battle damage. They were nowhere near as robust as a regular a/c engine.

Early jet engines ran two ways. A) Perfectly. or B) Not at all.  

Saying its made of steel makes no sense, all engines were made with steel, that didnt make them bulletproof.

...In regards to the pilot armor, cant say, it should have armored glass and an armored seat for the pilot. It may have the same problem as the Mosquito does in this regard, that its not modelled with the proper crew armor?

As for structural damage, I have seen them take some pretty good bursts and still keep the wings and tail.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Saying its made of steel makes no sense, all engines were made with steel, that didnt make them bulletproof.

Steel is a lot heavier and a lot denser than mere aluminum. I don't know what most WW2 prop engine casings were made out of, but I'd be very surprised if it was steel or lined with steel. I think the 262 required steel because of the temperatures and stresses on the compression and combustion of air.

Oh, and if you hit something from a 90-degree angle, a lot of things will take bullet holes in them. If you change it by even 20-degrees there's a greater chance the bullet will not penetrate, especially on the thicker metals like steel. Take into account you're shooting at a round, curved, open-ended tube, and forget about it!

Something's up with the 262 in this game, or they wouldn't have been so feared by bomber crews in WW2.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »
I don't know anything about 262 engines.  I do have a picture that will show how bulletproof steel is.  This target is a 1/4" plate, hanging/swinging from a chain.

The amazing thing about this picture are the holes that were made by the 22-250.  It shoots a tiny bullet (only 55gr in weight), but very fast.  It passed through the steel so easily that the free hanging plate didn't even move.  I thought I was missing the target at first.

These little bullets were hollowpoints.  They are designed to hit a coyote, expand rapidly, and NOT come back out.  They DO NOT go through a 35 pound coyote, unless you hit it in the "wrong" spot.  They do nasty things on head shots though.  The idea here is to NOT have an exit wound, and the associated damage to the pelt.

The hole from the .270 WIN is with a 130Gr softpoint, used for deer.  It is interesting as well, because the bullet also cut through the 1/2" steel rod that was directly behind where the bullet hit.  

Every shot, at 300 Yds, with a centerfire rifle passed through the steel.  Remember, these bullets are designed to do damage to flesh, not steel.

The "dents" are from muzzleloading rifles.  50 and 54 cal.  These bullets are simply round lead balls and are traveling at a very low speed compared to the centerfire rifle.  A few of the dents are from my .75 musket as well. (the .75  is about 800 FPS, the 54 about 1800, the .270 about 3000, and the 22-250 about 4000 FPS).

Obviously, this was not "aircraft" grade steel, but then these were not bullets/firearms designed to shoot at "aircraft" grade metal.  A kevlar vest wouldn't fare well against these bullets/speeds either.

Also, this was 1943 ish, right?  When looking at my 1959 technology outboard(boat motor), compared to the holes in this steel, I'm thinking an engine is going to take some pretty severe damage.  I don't want a bullet in my boat motor out in a lake, let alone going through my airplane engine at high speed, high RPM and high altitude.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
If your looking for something to focus on, I would suggest the "slaved guns" on the AH bombers as the culprit, not the Me262 model per se.

The Me262 is hardly alone in its problems attacking AH buffs.

I agree on the issues of the crew protection. I would look for an improvement when the 262 is redone.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for "2 weeks"... :rolleyes:

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »
Originally posted by Oleg
No armoured glasses whatever (on ww2 fighters) could stop 12mm, leave alone 20mm guns.

LOL, you don't know much about American armored glass.  The forward windscreen of most American fighters is around 2 inches thick, of laminated glass which was designed to stop incoming rounds.  This glass is set at an angle which increases the thickness and deflectability.  

Lots of fighters took hits to the glass.  The problem though comes in the side glass of most fighters.  It was a formed Lexan like product that had no ability to stop anything.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 05:01:47 PM by Bodhi »
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2007, 12:16:48 AM »
I also wonder why it seems easy to snap a wing-tip off in a high-G manuever, yet when one wing-tip is lost it seems impossible to snap the other-tip off.

I tested this today to try to make it easier to land after being rammed in a 262.

I was up high and was going pretty fast, no matter how hard I pushed it, nothing would break.

Lots of creaking noises, but no result.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"