Author Topic: Loosing the fight>then disappearing  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Loosing the fight>then disappearing
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:56 PM »
Any idea, why that Yak disappeared after getting some hits?

That looked really weird....

A short film of our fighting:
film 1 Mb
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
Simple Disco?
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
Well, only the pilot's second tour and less than 150 sorties altogether so far.

Wish we could see fuel, gauges, and ammo counter in films of other players (but that would require more throughput than dial-up could support).

My guesses include:
* Lost connection due to dial-up problems, spyware, lost UDP.  4 discos last tour, 5 this one so far, I'd lay money of connection.
* Mom sez 'dinner is ready!' and discoed to go eat.
* Felt he was in a bad situation and wanted to avoid the kill?  This does not make sense, as he had friends in the area, and was not actively trying to run.

I'd chalk it up to bad connection, lost UDP, and discoed.

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:35:37 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Simple Disco?

In that case...there must be something wrong with allowing such connections at all!

:confused:
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
Originally posted by Zuum
In that case...there must be something wrong with allowing such connections at all!

lol.. under that criteria, almost nobody would play AH2 unless someone does fix the internet :aok

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zuum

It's called allowing the game to support dial up players.  Okay, that's a simplification, since many broadband users have too much running in the background on their systems to cause them problems as well.  Some players probably even connect through sat uplinks or WiMAX connections, which can be prone lag and interference.

No way around it altogether for online gaming.  Poor connections happen.

He was not in all that bad a situation.  You looked to have E and position on him, but he probably could have headed for the deck..... either forcing you to give up E advantage and be vulnerable to his buddies in the area that would then have alt on you, or have you to decide to disengage to save alt and E.
I know Yaks are great B&Z from alt monkey position, but they are also fun right down on the deck amid varied terrain.

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
rgr that, all u minded.
thx
maybe next time i got luck.
well...

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:49:04 PM »
All connections use the same internet, run by the same companies. Dialup users don't automatically get disco'ed more, despite what ted might think.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
All connections use the same internet, run by the same companies. Dialup users don't automatically get disco'ed more, despite what ted might think.

Dial-up have much less throughput than broadband and more subject to interference (like when someone picks up the phone in another room, or call waiting not disabled), less throughput means there's a lot less tolerance for dropped packets, so there is more chance of the GAME disconnecting, not the internet connection itself.

----

On a positive note, it seems the pilot in question is specializing in flying Yaks.  That is refreshing.  No Splixteens, LaLas, Nikis, C-hawgs, and Runstangs at all in his stats that I saw....no real low ENY planes at all for two tours.

May be a player returning to the game as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:55:16 PM by tedrbr »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Dial-up have much less throughput than broadband and more subject to interference (like when someone picks up the phone in another room, or call waiting not disabled), less throughput means there's a lot less tolerance for dropped packets, so there is more chance of the GAME disconnecting, not the internet connection itself.

Bingo right on the head.  In addition to this, the size of the pipe (think of terms of plumbing when comparing broadband to dial-up) does not determine the ping a user gets to a server.  Phone lines are not as fast (ping wise) as broadband.  In addition to the tolerance tedrbr described, a 56k dial up from my location (Wisconsin) is going to ping around 200-250ms, while broadband hits about 50-60ms to Texas servers.  This 'lag' delays the response time.  The data of me firing a bullet takes about 50ms to reach Dallas and takes about 200ms (for a dial up user) to that bullet to register on the dial up users computer.  And vise versa.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
i think you just wanted to show off some of your nordic jabba jabba.

interesting to hear it in another language.

:cool:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
The data of me firing a bullet takes about 50ms to reach Dallas and takes about 200ms (for a dial up user) to that bullet to register on the dial up users computer.  And vise versa.

Your own bullets register and do damage on YOUR computer, not the enemies. The result of that hit is transmitted to his computer.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
Bingo right on the head.  In addition to this, the size of the pipe (think of terms of plumbing when comparing broadband to dial-up) does not determine the ping a user gets to a server.  Phone lines are not as fast (ping wise) as broadband.  In addition to the tolerance tedrbr described, a 56k dial up from my location (Wisconsin) is going to ping around 200-250ms, while broadband hits about 50-60ms to Texas servers.  This 'lag' delays the response time.  The data of me firing a bullet takes about 50ms to reach Dallas and takes about 200ms (for a dial up user) to that bullet to register on the dial up users computer.  And vise versa.

True but only 26,000 feet or less. From your premise, the pipe is controlled by the technology (ie: Broadband or DialUp). But once it hits the Cable Node or DSL/ Telephone neighborhood switch, it gets a free upgrade to Fiber and lightspeeds away to your destination. The packet loss or lack of tolerance of, is from the Cable Node or neighborhood switch to your house. Beyond that, its all the same highway.

While I agree that a Dial Up connection may have a higher ping time, I also agree with Lusche and Skuzzy when they say it don't matter much.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
lol.. under that criteria, almost nobody would play AH2 unless someone does fix the internet :aok

No can do on the internet fix... Father Gore is busy selling carbon offsets

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:17:36 PM »
Originally posted by REP0MAN
While I agree that a Dial Up connection may have a higher ping time, I also agree with Lusche and Skuzzy when they say it don't matter much.

Only doesn't matter much in a perfect world.  In a perfectly clean system and situation, the overhead of AHII probably doesn't matter much.  There is a world of difference between dial-up, satellite, WiMax, and Broadband in the real world.

The "Last Mile" is where most of the problems with a connection take place.  Packet loss, interference, narrow throughput, external attacks on your connection. The wider your pipe is on throughput, the less impact it can have.

Now, there is also the client side to consider:
 If the client side has a lot of things running in the background, either taking up some of the throughput of the connection --- especially a limited connection (spyware, automatic updates, instant message or separate VOX program running with the game), which is a bigger deal the less throughput you have....
OR if all the extra threads running are taking up too much of a particular computer's resources in the form of memory, processor time, or accessing the hard drive.....

The end result is the same.  The game disconnects.  Be it packet lose or any of many errors that can be generated from such a situation.

In any case, the film shows what is probably a game disco.