Author Topic: Loosing the fight>then disappearing  (Read 1140 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Loosing the fight>then disappearing
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »
Spyware, insufficient resources, packet loss, viruses, and ISP issues aren't limited to dialup users. The things you mention as causing people to disco would cause anyone to disco, or at the very least have problems.

If HTC says a dialup connection is fine, then I have a hard time believing you know more about their game, and what it requires, than they do. You may well be more knowledgable about connectivity than I am, but the things you mention as specific issues for dialup users aren't specific to dialup users.

But none of this really matters. That guy got disco'ed, and you don't know why. That's all that really needed to be said.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Spyware, insufficient resources, packet loss, viruses, and ISP issues aren't limited to dialup users. The things you mention as causing people to disco would cause anyone to disco, or at the very least have problems.

If HTC says a dialup connection is fine, then I have a hard time believing you know more about their game, and what it requires, than they do. You may well be more knowledgable about connectivity than I am, but the things you mention as specific issues for dialup users aren't specific to dialup users.

But none of this really matters. That guy got disco'ed, and you don't know why. That's all that really needed to be said.

Hub lets now put in the squeaker factor. The ones I know have every chat, IM, and web browser running in the background also.  AH requires 100% of the cpu. So with all crap running in the background, you can bet strange things happen.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Loosing the fight>then disappearing
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 05:19:41 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum
Any idea, why that Yak disappeared after getting some hits?

If you hit him before he disconnected, you must get kill. Sometimes it takes few minutes.

Originally posted by Lusche
Your own bullets register and do damage on YOUR computer, not the enemies. The result of that hit is transmitted to his computer.

Not exactly, afaik. Your own bullets register hits on your computer and send info to server, server do damage and send result to you, your victim and everybody around.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 05:24:28 AM »
Maybe he asked a question on country and some nitwit answered "Alt F4".
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40:46 AM »
Alt+F4 == kill if you was hitted or there is enemy close to you.

btw, about "loosing fight and disappearing". If someone loose connection in middle of turnfight his plane dont disappears immediately, but still fly straight for some time. You can "win" turnfight during this time right before he disappeared.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: Loosing the fight>then disappearing
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 06:24:15 AM »
Originally posted by Oleg
If you hit him before he disconnected, you must get kill. Sometimes it takes few minutes.

Sometimes this doesn't seem to work (anymore?)

Two days ago I scrambled  to intercept a milkrunning Lanc formation at 15K in the MW arena. I was able to score hits on all three planes, but managed to shoot down only before he reched target. As soon as he dropped his bombs, he discoed just as I was setting up my final attack.
30 seconds late the .f command told me Rodent57 was now in EW arena. Though I stayed airborne for about 5 additional minutes while returning to base, I never got any more kill messages
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Hub lets now put in the squeaker factor. The ones I know have every chat, IM, and web browser running in the background also.  AH requires 100% of the cpu. So with all crap running in the background, you can bet strange things happen.

Bronk

Oh most definitely, but that's got nothing to do with what kind of connection they use, which is what I was getting at. A screwed up PC is a screwed up PC.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire

But throughput plays a big factor here.  The wider the pipe, the more fault tolerate the network will be to all of the above hits  to the connection, at which point the client side resources usually become the bottleneck instead of the connection.

Dial up about 44 kbit/s
ISDN around 56kbit/s
Broadband generally starts at 250 kbit/s and can run up to nearly 30,000 kbit/s for consumer service for DSL and cable connections.
WiMAX can range from 10,000 kbit/s to 70,000 kbit/s (ideally).
Satellite is within similar ranges of broadband, generally with narrower uplink compared to downlink, but deal with latency issues due to distance to satellite.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »
But Ted, all of these technologies hit some wired point and utilize the same Fiber Backbone that everyone else uses. The limit to speed (or size of the pipe) is only found in the first and last mile of the connection. This is where packet loss usually lives. From time to time, some retard on a backhoe in the Midwest may crush the fiber, thus causing the leg to be shut down and a bottle neck of traffic on another leg. This may also cause high ping times. And, you are 100% correct, as is Hubs, that client hardware plays an even greater role in packet loss and connection issues.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.