Author Topic: "Cable pullers"  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
"Cable pullers"
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
Can anything be done about the alleged phenomenon known as "cable pulling?" I've heard about it, never quite seen it first hand, although I have seen some unusual jumping aspects recently, when planes move from off my nose to instantly close to my 6, w/o performing any ACM. I have DSL and don't want to indict anyone needlessly. Maybe it's on my end?

Any insight would be appreciated

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »
If you would like to see it first hand, ask ingame name Vadjan to demo it for you.  He's a regular.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:53:59 AM »
Any suspicious activity should be filmed and sent to support@hitechcreations.com

Bringing it to the forums only invites inappropriate comments such as the post above.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »
Please refer to this ongoing discussion found here .

Most incident of "cable pulling" are actually just bad connections or client machines that have their resources stretched.  Cable pulling or ping throttling probably does happen, but most of what you see is connection/client machine related.

Poor connections.  Connections that are overtaxed with automatic downloads, external attacks on them, IM programs, BitTorrent, and so forth sharing the network pipe with the game.  Also can be caused by weak systems, or client side systems that have their resources taken up by threads running in the background, spyware, little available memory, weak graphics cards that are overwhelmed, heavy disk caching, and so forth.

The most common I've seen in the plane that warps when fired upon.  Tracking the bullet or tracer fire seems to suddenly put a load of the other guy's client machine, and zooooom.  Warp drive Mr. Sulu.  

All part of online gaming, and we're stuck with it until the world moves to Internet-II, everyone is on broadband, and people keep their client machines fairly well maintained.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »
Way too many variables to accuse anyone of cable pulling or other tales. Your connection could be excellent and so might the other persons, yet both warp..... the reason being the hops in between your system and the end server and same on his end. Any server in between with an overload or other problem can be the culprit.

Just have fun.. and if you get shot down by a whizzing plane.... I'll see to it that you get a brand new one to replace it. :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
Thanks guys,

yeah, I don;t want to accuse anyone of anything, and yes, when I open fire, planes sometimes vanish. I'm not wrapped up in cartoon deaths to make a stink of it or to even report them. I forget to film fights in most cases anyway.

Much appreciated

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »
FireHwk got caught.   Some others did it as well around the same, but most woke up and stopped doing it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Most incident of "cable pulling" are actually just bad connections or client machines that have their resources stretched.  

Funny that such a higher percentage of buff pilots seem to have these "bad connections"... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:27:59 PM by frosty »

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
Originally posted by frosty
Funny that such a higher percentage of buff pilots seem to have these "bad connections"... :rolleyes:

Alot of pilots fly buffs when they have bad connetions. It's how they cope with it, generally keeps them from being accused of "cable pulling"
<S>
Toad

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »
there's a bug in the buffs when your in a CV area and right after you drop and go to f3 view and look around  it will cause you to CTD . im not shure what the combo is but its happened to me at least 5 times ...  I havent really tested it since the last update though .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:48:31 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Any suspicious activity should be filmed and sent to support@hitechcreations.com

Bringing it to the forums only invites inappropriate comments such as the post above.

It also brings up back seat moderators, such as the post above.

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
It also brings up back seat moderators, such as the post above.

:rofl

they got a lag switch... its this new uber thingy thing I bought from dano..he has all types of 733t computer thingy things.. :D
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 06:09:12 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
The most common I've seen in the plane that warps when fired upon.  Tracking the bullet or tracer fire seems to suddenly put a load of the other guy's client machine, and zooooom.  Warp drive Mr. Sulu.  

:rofl
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
Originally posted by frosty

Other than the known and most hated "drone warp" I rarely ever have trouble with warping buffs?

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
"Cable pullers"
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
Vanscrew can demostrate cable pulling  :p