Author Topic: Just picked this up today :)  (Read 991 times)

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Re: Just picked this up today :)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 07:09:54 AM »
Originally posted by TheLoner222
Well...after a few hours of frustration..I finally got flying down and decided to head online. Anyone have any tips such as plane choice/tactics/etc? Anything not in written stone would be mucho helpful.
Hiya Loner. I think the best advice I can give you is this: If you die, you HAVE to learn from it. It's almost always your fault for putting yourself in a bad position, so stay objective and figure out what you did wrong. After many, many deaths, you'll realize you're a butcher of the skies. :)

Oh, two more things:
Don't be afraid of a fight. That's what we're here for!

Head on a swivel, man. :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Just picked this up today :)
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »
If you're just learning, make sure you have "stall limiter" disabled in the flight options. Trust me, better to learn now, than to re-learn later. It's a huge crutch. Play around with it to see what it does, but disable it when you want to get serious.

I disagree with "pick a plane and learn it". If you're starting out, pick an easy plane. Just don't rely on that plane from now to eternity! Use it to learn, but once you're able to fly a sortie without crashing move around to other planes. Good "easy mode" planes include spit 16, spit 8, spit9 and spit 5, as well as LA7s, Hurricane Mk.IICs, and some others. P51D is a decent learning plane, but won't turn very well at first (that comes later, with experience).

If you start in a spit, for god's sake don't fly it exclusively. Don't always take the face shot then run (those planes turn great, too! Don't forget!), and don't get too cocky if you start getting kills because chances are you're pulling moves in a spit that you cannot pull in any other plane.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Just picked this up today :)
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
most fights in the MA seem to degenerate into turn fights on the deck, especially when you're new.

Spits do well down there.

The P-51D is a great plane, although I'm not as good in it as I'd like to be.  But, it is definately not well suited to the typical on the deck turn fight that a new player is likely to get into.

Same with La-7.

My 2-month's experience worth.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila