Author Topic: Tonights Snapshot 5-30-07 10PM Eastern  (Read 470 times)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Tonights Snapshot 5-30-07 10PM Eastern
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
Fire at Kursk

On 12 July the Luftwaffe and artillery units bombed the Soviet positions in the Kursk Pocket. The German advance started and they were astonished to see masses of Soviet armor advancing towards them. What followed was the largest tank engagement ever, with over 1,500 tanks in close contact. The air forces of both countries flew overhead, but they were unable to see anything through the dust and smoke pouring out from destroyed tanks. On the ground, commanders were unable to keep track of developments and the battle rapidly degenerated into an immense number of confused and bitter small-unit actions, often at close quarters. The fighting raged on all day, and by evening the last shots were being fired as the two sides disengaged. German losses amounted to over 300 tanks with the Soviets losing a similar number.In this Snapshot, we will attempt to recreate the fierce fighting in the Kursk Pocket.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:49 AM »
That was fun.  Especially the Axis pulling the base with 2 minutes left in the frame.

I think getting the Allied ord early helped.  If our GV's had to put up with IL2's over the V-base, I don't think Axis would have pulled that one off.  Once ord was down, all I saw in the air were Yaks.   Only about a dozen players per side, but with a 4-life event, over a small area of the map, it made for some fun.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
That was one of those nights that proved to be Exceptionally Fun.

Speaking to the "other side" Filth and I were talking to them, and said they owned us for 99% of that frame, we got lucky at the end.

Their response was We owned the 1% that actually mattered lol   valid point :)

That is a fun snapshot, I'd like to try that one with 25+ players per side or more sometime.  That could easily be a bloodbath right there.

Great work Ted, fun flying with you last night
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
You mean I missed a big tank battle?  :cry
"strafing"

Offline mrshiver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:35:29 PM »
Can't wait to do it again. all who participated.
Flying as shiverx

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
Ya Ted for gettin so much of the ord and Jlyrgr for the capture.

~AoM~