Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16317 times)

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2007, 04:39:32 AM »
Shawk bro i agree with you 100%, i have been beating this horse upon closed ears since the 'grande change.'

It would not have been so bad if some planning ahead had been given to the arena change, AKA; lots of new features to help inter arena comm.
                                      Some new maps created

I have come to realise that sadly HTC are determined to not go back to  ONE arena so we must look at other options than just one MA.:cry .

I find it hard to believe we go too many ppl for one arena as most nights there are only 300 ppl on at 1am GMT. I have infact sen a dwindling number of ppl on during the week now and its a rare occasion to see 500+.
I think we could go back 1 arena, IF the powers at B would allow it.

There are now less,less and less familiar faces in the game now, and i see less and less of my squaddies for me. The game is less value for the money now and less enterainment within country.

I miss the old days of the general banter on 200 between familiar counterparts and the same old merry faces on country channel. i see none of this now. Just more room for hording, milking and *****ieness on 200. I thought these were the things we were switching format to get away from.......

I have only beenin AH a year so i cannot really go far back in history of the game. But from my experience there were more good things about an MA than there with four arenas,

1) there was less milking
2) no bloody arena caps
3) less need for ENY
4) a lot fairer numbers
5) a lot less whines from a lot less people on a lot lower level of importance
6) Finding your sqauddies wasnt like the crystal bloody maze

7)I HAD FUN.

The only way to propose an idea is to knowwhat would be required by HTC for it to be acceptable,

But as a guideline i feel we need more maps, less division and less HTC boot licking.

The idea of the customer is always right seems to have been lost to the fear of the corporate machine
 <>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:42:23 AM by Laurie »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 04:57:48 AM »
Lets see now.
1. Hard side capping.
Will keep numbers even. Ohh wait was tried and worked well.  Unfortunately was whined  away.

2. Set lines of attack, with multiple staring points.
Once again worked well, easy to find a nice fight. Once again the whaa whaa was overwhelming.

It is my firm belief that the reintroduction of these two items would solve many of the MA issues.

But people really just want it the way it is. Otherwise we'd still have both.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 05:07:45 AM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Lets see now.
1. Hard side capping.
Will keep numbers even. Ohh wait was tried and worked well.  Unfortunately was whined  away.

2. Set lines of attack, with multiple staring points.
Once again worked well, easy to find a nice fight. Once again the whaa whaa was overwhelming.

It is my firm belief that the reintroduction of these two items would solve many of the MA issues.

But people really just want it the way it is. Otherwise we'd still have both.

Bronk

we do not want to play in a stalinistic manor bronk.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 05:09:31 AM »
Originally posted by SHawk

Yup.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 05:21:36 AM »
My only beef is with the limiting at off-peak times.

I clearly remember HT stating that thier goal was 300 players in an arena...

Why limit the arenas to 200 when there are only 242 people online?

I get disco'd only to find LW Blue capped 200/200 and LW Orange at 35/250 with the remainder in the other two arenas.

I may make a thread dedicated to this later because this seems contrary to what HTC said they were aiming for.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2007, 05:50:24 AM »
The game currently factors plane type into scoring and also the total numbers for each side online. How about also factoring the numbers of red and green icons in view at the time of the kill? This would hurt guys who fly in a horde all the time and benefit those who can get a kill while outnumbered.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 06:01:22 AM »
Originally posted by Greebo
The game currently factors plane type into scoring and also the total numbers for each side online. How about also factoring the numbers of red and green icons in view at the time of the kill? This would hurt guys who fly in a horde all the time and benefit those who can get a kill while outnumbered.

Would be really cool, but im guessing that takes alot of server computing power.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 06:02:53 AM »
The last time we had this debate, it was about arena caps, and allowing the low sided countrys entry into full arenas.

i thought this was a great idea. to balance sides, lessen the negative effects of eny and allow squads to fly togeather uninterupted by arena limits.

I think the split arena system is ok, altho i didn't like it at first. but another idea may be simply to have one late war with a much higher cap and large maps.

But i guess that would kill early and mid, which by all  accounts are on life support as it is anyway.

HTC has something in mind, And they are not going to make radicle changes, as long as the number of subscribers continues to increase, you will not see much movement.

I agree with most of what SHAWK has said, But I don't see them fixxing it anytime soon as they don't see a problem.

So maybe post the office phone for everyone to call them when they experience this problem. Nothing like a million phone calls to get your attention.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:45 AM »
Originally posted by yanksfan
Nothing like a million phone calls to get your attention. [/B]

Or to get you PNG'd haha
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2007, 06:40:53 AM »
I'll add to this these thoughts - I think BaldEagl's list is pretty darn good except:

5. Allow a player to enter any arena that contains a majority of their squad members regardless of cap.  

I think that what should happen is the CO should choose a "home" arena and country that all squadmates can always enter on.  This way it can be managed (if too many peep are already homed in one arena/country you have to choose another side in that arena for your squad until the numbers come in line again) and limit it to 1 change per day/week/month to keep it from being gamed.  Perfect?  No. But better.  

As stated it would allow an already unbalanced situation to be worsened by squadrons - some of which are honorable and wouldn't, some of which are not.

6. Make ENY front specific rather than arena-wide.

This is a great idea, but I wonder if it's workable.  Using in-flight numbers for ENY leaves the system open to gaming by large groups via simul-launching, and I can't see how to do this without using in-flight numbers.  

Conceptually though, I love the idea of an ENY that's generated by the ratio of friendly to enemy aircraft in the 9 squares around the airfield.   For one thing, it would mean that if you wanted to fly from a rear field, you could still take your favorite plane - or launch your squadron ride.  This would be great, because then when ENY was "bad", it would spread out the fight instead of towering 1/3 of the players on one side.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2007, 06:45:12 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
The current setup doesn't affect me one bit.  

Lucky american... the picture is different for european
players

Each evening, between 6 and 7 pm here in europe, when I get home and want to log on, the numbers are like that:

LWOrange: 38/200
LWBlue: 176/120

Of course, I can completely forget to log into Blue.
But worse, it will take a long time untill the numbers are more evenly distributed, and at that time we only have around 120 players in each LW arena, giving gameplay a distinct "EW arena" feel (Though I'd love to see that many people in EW & MW ;) )

I'd say: Keep EW & MW, but go back to a single LW, or at least much higher caps with large maps. Only a humble wish, of course...
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

storch

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »
lol shawk.  this from the guy who is alternately milking in the EW MW during the day then running around the LWs with his adoring minions vultching at night.

I suggest you take your midol and perhaps get some sleep.  obviously your gamey ways are wearing down your good humor.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
Hordes are "local" phenomenums a horde populates part of an arena then moves on to another part.

Hence hordes destory local competitiveness they are not an arena wide function they may not even be a function of the most heavily populated side.

A Zone or field limit will limit horde activities. It is simply a limit on how many players can be spawned from any one field at any one time. It can be a dynamic limit similar to ENY such that the number changes with respect to population, population balance and the number of fields available.

It's draw backs is it forces large groups who want to launch together (big squads and big missions) to use rear fields or fields  slightly more removed from a heavily populated area of combat. However this also lessens the effect large squads and big missions have when they would otherwise add to the horde.

Equally if a large mission launches at a new target "Camp followers" will quickly find they cannot follow as the local limit has been reached............... there are no more planes available from that field.
Ludere Vincere

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2007, 07:11:05 AM »
Ford has been the 1st,  massive auto maker , and from 1915 to 1929 ,they built black painted cars only until  GM came with variety  and more sensitive to customers request , Only competition brings progress and improves quality
  If  you like it black drive!  , if not walk !
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:15:27 AM by ghi »

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 07:15:24 AM »
Hitech has said he'd never even consider a relaxed realism arena but if there were one, just think how many milkrunners, squeakers and hordsters would gravitate there.