Author Topic: River Fork (In Progress)  (Read 1783 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:37:28 PM »
After a day's worth of screwing with terrain editing and learning the ropes of that, I've come up with this. It's a rough field layout on the terrain I've chosen. The white lines are "front markers" just to use as a measurement.

Please give constructive criticism; I'm learning! This map is meant to be an MA map and is actually designed to give a slightly (not majorly) faster playthrough than the current maps. This map is 256x256 miles. It doesn't have a TT or FT since the other maps have plenty; I don't plan on adding one. HOWEVER, I've yet to put in vehicle field locations; there will be plenty of GVs for all. The terrain is generally flat (Max Alt of just under 6k) to keep the "high ground" farther in the rear without giving too much advantage.

Large Airfield - Blue
Medium Airfield - Red
Small Airfield - Yellow
Port - Green
HQ - Green X
Strat - White (Strats will be arranged by importance for distance from HQ)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:24:11 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
It looks like all of the elevation changes are very abrupt, like steps (or steppes)... is this true? If so, you might want to blur the transitions a bit.

Looks like an interesting layout so far. :aok
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
I think that may just be the image. The changes are very...very very gradual on the map itself from what I can tell in the TE.

Here's the greyscale:

EDIT: The riverbanks have a slight uphill effect which I kinda like. The transition along the terrain itself is very blended as I've seen so far. No doubt I'll have to fix a couple things when I can actually fly around the terrain. :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 12:08:45 AM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:15:21 AM »
Try something along the lines of this
Das Muppets

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:27:10 AM »
I'll have a look at that one tomorrow. I kinda like the riverbank slope of mine, though. Gives the CA gunners something to think about.

Which reminds me; I might need more coastal targets.

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:30:11 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
I'll have a look at that one tomorrow. I kinda like the riverbank slope of mine, though. Gives the CA gunners something to think about.

Which reminds me; I might need more coastal targets.

I doubt skuzzy will accept it like that. IE: Poor lvt's wont be able to make it up a half mile slope lol.:D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:34:43 AM by Avaro »
Das Muppets

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:47:06 AM »
Looks like a nice terrain, but.... ( ;) )

- the country layout seems a bit unbalanced. The bottom and right countries have much shorter distance to their HQs than the left country. IMO the left country has the best and safest position overall.

- many of the bases are pretty far away from enemy bases at the front lines.

- the ports and naval battles are also problematic. Only the bottom country can have naval battles with borh other countries... most likely with the right country.

It is always difficult to place a circle of 3 equal pies on a square terrain, but it is worth a try. See if an equal distribution would fit on your terrain, rotate it to any position and then adjust the location those bases that require it.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 03:47:53 AM »
I was going to set it up so that the towns would be closer to sea level than the fields. Like I said, this is a first-draft just to get the general airfield and large target ratio/spread together.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:26 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Looks like a nice terrain, but.... ( ;) )

- the country layout seems a bit unbalanced. The bottom and right countries have much shorter distance to their HQs than the left country. IMO the left country has the best and safest position overall.

- many of the bases are pretty far away from enemy bases at the front lines.

- the ports and naval battles are also problematic. Only the bottom country can have naval battles with borh other countries... most likely with the right country.

It is always difficult to place a circle of 3 equal pies on a square terrain, but it is worth a try. See if an equal distribution would fit on your terrain, rotate it to any position and then adjust the location those bases that require it.

- I'm going to have to play with that a bit. It's an interesting struggle trying to get amount of land and field saturation to match without unbalancing the entire map. The southern country bothers me the most.

- I want a little bit of seperation at the fronts. This will help with geting teams to use the CVs and be a bit of a replacement for an FT (I hope :D)

- I'm thinking of putting mostly vehicle fields close to shore and maybe one or two airfields for each country. That way the fact that the CVs are parked on your lawn no matter what won't be quite such a huge factor. CV to CV combat will be more encouraged as well (barring the lancstukas). (Yet again...I hope. :rolleyes: )

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:37:06 AM »
While I like maps with channels for CVs (old AKDesert was the best), what I always picture is some squad taking off in Lancs, going into outer space and cruising the channels killing CVs as they come upon them.

You can kill 3 birds with one stone. Make the center an island. That gives CVs access to all countries. And the center island becomes a common battle ground for all 3 countries. And with a little modification, the rivers can be your country borders.

A TT or FT is unavoidable. Every map has a center and it's next to impossible to not wind up with one or the other. What would be "adopted" as a FT on your map is in sectors 9,9 - 10,9 - 10,8. The only way around it is to either put strat there or mix GV, AF and strat in that area.

I know it's a rough layout, but double check your field counts per country.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:58:52 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Second Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 03:00:45 PM »
Note that there still aren't any Vfields. I might plan on adding a very slight spawn disadvantage to the southern country because of their locale. Maybe. Also note the big red X; that's a mountain that will have nothing on it. Just taking up space to take away a big advantage from the south.

Large Airfield - Blue
Medium Airfield - Red
Small Airfield - Yellow
Port - Green
HQ - Green X
Strat - White

The map has been smoothed, so these aren't steppes either, just how Tile Setter outputs the map.

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »
Take a screenshot with TE and let us see a few mountains.:D
Das Muppets

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 03:24:54 PM »
There really aren't any mountains. Mostly gradual slopes up to 5.8k. The only mountain is marked with an X and is a slope up to 20k. It's just gradual enough to not be able to take a screen shot due to the crappy ground visual range in the TE.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:29:44 PM by OOZ662 »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
OOZ, before you submit it make sure that the CVs can get through the majority of those channels. It looks a little difficult to navigate.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
River Fork (In Progress)
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
I think I'll end up widening the one NW of the island a bit. They aren't supposed to get in N of the mountain. Field layout still applies though.