Author Topic: Black powder  (Read 735 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
I am thinking about getting a black powder revolver. Probably a .44 .
Just got this urge lately for some reason.
Anybody here into black powder and can give me some pointers on where the best deals are to be had?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:33 PM »
You're pretty much limited to repros in that kind of thing. Uberti has some good ones. If you are looking for a strong pistol that will handle heavier loads you should look for a Remington clone. This one has a closed frame rather than a barrel held in by a pressure wedge. It's fairly close in appearance to a regular western style revolver compared to the Navy and Army copies of an original pistol.

The open frame models are OK as well as long as you use a "reasonable" charge and don't try to turn it into a magnum. I had an old Navy .36 caliber and shot it for several years before selling it so I could get a different pistol.

These kind of things are a real treat to shoot as you get an idea of what it was like "way back when" to shoot and depend on these things.

If the pistol you are looking at looks good, has tight tolerances, decent fit and finish and is timed properly it should do you just fine. If it looks rough and feels gritty to work the action leave it be, especially in a new pistol.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
Thank you sir.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
I have an Uberti 1858 Rem. Army that's nice to shoot. Plus, It was alot more affordable than what a centerfire pistol would be( I got mine for about 170$, after I bought some necessary supplies). It will take more patience at the range, however, reloading is more of a chore.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »
Check here. They have some pretty good deals.

Cabela's
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Black powder
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:58 PM »
I shot a real 1858 remington for a while... I liked it.. also a 36 colt repo..

I have been getting the urge to shoot some black powder myself.

lazs

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Black powder
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »
i own a colt dragoon 44 reissue..a colt dragoon 44 uberti repoduction..a baby pocket navy 32..and a rem new army 44...i have to say the new army rem is one of the best and easiest pistols to deal with in black powder..the cylinder pops out with out having to use any tools..plus its easy to get converstion cylinders to shoot 45 long colt...the cheapest new army is made by traditions from italy...the one i own runs about 150 too 180 new.

i enjoy my black pistols..the dragoons are a ton of fun cause you can pack them up with about 50 grains:) and they dont have the flaws of a colt walker...major problem with a walker is the powder packer likes to kick down when you fire it and the pin that holds it breaks easy..they fixed this issue on the dragoon.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
Checked out Traditions. They are a ton of dealers within driving distance here, so parts and such shouldn`t be a prob.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »
Jackal, my other BP pistol is an 1851 Navy colt in .44 by Traditions. After about 50-100 rounds, It's already broken the lock spring for the Cylinder. The price is low, but remember, buyer beware.

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Black powder
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 07:10:55 AM »
ya i seen bad in both uberti and traditions...best to give them a good look over...we got a uberti colt walker and went out and shot it,,busted it the first day!! lol..we took it back and traded it in for a dragoon uberti..which been working fine,..my rem 44 traditions new army i shoot the most..and its never failed and i load it with 35 grains..plus traditions makes that cylinder for 45 long colt for about 200 bucks..with the new army you can switch out black powder and quickly stick in the 45 long colt with out any trouble..i got mine down to were i can get them out fast,,and replacement cylinders are only about 50 bucks for powder.....with the new army you can carry them around like clips..lol

you can tell a dif between my usa made colt dragoon and the uberti dragoon...in how it sounds when you click the hammer back..and the case hardening is real and not the fake chemical style..and the colt takes too big of a cap..a size 11 mag does not fit it...takes a custom colt cap cause it was made period perfict..hand grips on the uberti are the modern candy coated wood and the colt doesnt..but the uberti is the one i shoot..i dont shoot the colt sence there not made anymore...if you buy one just give it a good look over and look for flaws..you can get good shooters out of the cheap ones..and really uberti and traditions are just about only thing you can find unless you wanna chuck out some serious cash.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
what for? Dueling the snakes  from other thread with 19 century stylish single  shot ? get white gloves also
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:07:36 AM by ghi »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
No ghi. It`s more of a High Noon setting for the snakes around here.
BOOM....good snake. :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:30:24 AM »
Definitely a Remington clone if you're looking for ease of operation. The Colt clones work just fine but I do think the Remington was a true technical improvement for the time. Still has the full BP flavor, just a little easier to use/clean/load.

Oh yeah, the sights, such as they are, are still better than the Colt notch-in-the-hammer style.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Black powder
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
hyena..  if you get one of the cartridge conversions for 45 colt...

You still must shoot black powder tho right?  I mean.. load the 45 colt case with black powder?

lazs

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 01:56:38 PM »
Laz,

That's correct, you must stay inside of black powder power levels. Using a smokeless powder would create a situation where it would be very easy to over pressure the load since the powder is so much less bulky. Just because the cylinder is converted to a cartridge it's still a weaker system than one designed for smokeless. I would never trust any of the imported repros with a full pressure smokeless load. I like my hands and eyes in the condition they are in and don't want to rearrange them.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown