Author Topic: So, what do you drive?  (Read 36908 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
So, what do you drive?
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »
I find it interesting how a person's automobile frequently reflects their personality.

Therefore, let's see what the players of Aces High drive day to day.

I posted this here rather than in the O'Club, as many of the O'Club crowd are not subscribers to Aces High.

Here's my daily ride...

I commute just 11 miles, four days a week. I sold my 2002 WRX in 2005 after a series of clutch problems drove me to distraction. It was fast and it was fun, but clutch chatter (warped friction disks) was a source of great annoyance.  This problem was well known to Subaru and commonplace. My local dealer replaced the clutch twice free of charge. Nonetheless, this problem and miserable gas mileage were wearing me out. If I needed to drive in snow, I had my wife's Grand Vitara. So, the WRX was consigned to weekend drives and I bought a new 2003 Suzuki Aerio SX, with 5 speed manual for daily use. Reliable, great utility, good fuel mileage, adequate power and handling made the little car a favorite for every day use.

After the WRX was gone, I still longed for a fun sport ride. The Aerio SX is no pig, but it was not designed to be pushed hard without a fair amount of protest. Thus, I began looking into after-market performance upgrades. I found a local engine builder who had experience tuning Suzuki's 1.8 liter engines. After almost $3,200 invested in engine upgrading and a more durable clutch, the 2.0 liter twincam was generating 188 hp at the drive wheels (about 210 hp at the crankshaft). No supercharger, no turbo. Requires 93 octane fuel, however.

I invested in a Progress suspension kit, but selected B-G springs. The thicker and adjustable anti-roll bars loaded the car to the point that I had to purchase a  shock-tower brace from SWT (Suzuki Works Techno) to stiffen the chassis. I added a set of SWT wheels. I elected to avoid going to 45 series tires to keep the ride reasonably compliant. I replaced the 195/55-15 Falkens with a set of 205/50-15 W speed rated Kumho Ecsta ASXs. Brembo rotors squeezed by ceramic brake pads haul it down from speed.

Performance is superior to the WRX in every category, except 0-60 mph. The all wheel drive WRX gets great bite off the line. However, the Suzuki is faster to 100 mph, and its max speed is 144 mph (drag limited). In handling, the Suzuki is vastly better than the WRX. Around a skid pad, my WRX was capable of about .82 G. The Suzuki exceeds .92 G on the Kumhos. In terms of overall performance, it fits in between a 2007 GTI and a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. Not bad for a car that could be purchased with low mileage for about $6,000 and another $6,700 in Engine, suspension, brake and wheel/tire upgrades. Compare that to $23k for a basic GTI and $26k for the Mazda. Insurance is dirt cheap as well.

I just purchased a set of Kumho V710 race tires in 205/50-15 for weekend autocrossing. These are mounted on a set of WedsSport racing wheels and were heat cycled by the tire distributor. These tires are replacements for my well used Avon R-A tires. I won't get to use them until Mid August as my weekend schedule is rather full with family things and vacations. However, the Zook should stick like glue.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:45:54 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »
I had Chevy Blazers forever starting in 86 then a 91 and finally a 96.  Now I drive a Kia Sportage.

We also have a Chevy Cobalt for the Mrs. and a Chevy Aveo that my daughter drives.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »
BMW 325is and Jeep Grand Cherokee
Vote R.E. Lee '24

storch

So, what do you drive?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:30:32 PM »
I drive a 1999 toyota tacoma as my daily driver.  I also have a 2007 nissan titan that I recent purchased but the toyota meets my needs adequately and is relatively inexpensive to operate so I'll probably keep it until it complete falls apart.  I hate spending money on cars.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:31:02 PM »
I use to drive a 95 Jeep Cherokee. Now I drive a 2007 Nissan Sentra.... let me just say, going from 13mpg to 36mpg is WONDERFUL!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33:30 PM »
When I did drive I drove a 83 Ford Fairmont, it was a peice of s@#%, I was 18 and it was free and took me from point a to b, atleast when it did run.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:44:13 PM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
I'm lucky enough to get to "Drive" these machines...

]

"Flying to lunch is a hell of a lot easier...too bad work doesn't have a runway"

Seriously though... I drive a '01 Nissan Sentra (quazi-POS) :lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:59:00 PM by bnasty »
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 11:42:54 PM »
I walk, pedal my bicycle (old Gudereit RC-60 touring bike featuring an extra large frame) or take bus/subway/train.
I don't have a car anymore.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »
06 ram 1500 in usa (belongs to family there)
mazda 6 in israel
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »

:noid

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:24:27 AM »
Excursion ~ for frequent trips w/3 sons & 2 dogs (if they made something bigger that wasn't a bus I'd buy it). Also a concorde.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
I have a '96 Nissan Sentra SSS. SR20 2Ltr motor 110Kw, 0-100Kph 8.0secs, top speed 210Kph. Goes ok, hardly an uber rapid beast, but not bad for a daily punt.
Quite rare and was *the* 4-door hot-hatch of its time.

This one aint mine. Mines red with bigger alloys.

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:05:51 AM »
I have a 1986 Mercedes 300e that basically just sits in my garage for months at a time.  I live about 50 yards from work, so I walk.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Makoyouidiot

• Copper Member
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 01:11:25 AM »
I used to drive a '00 Jeep Wrangler...here's a pic.

Now, I drive a '00 Chevy Silverado, and here's a pic of it...

Formerly known as Mako15, MakoShrk, and MattiasK, now flying as Matty, on long term leave.

"It's MAKO, you IDIOT!"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
So, what do you drive?
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 01:40:20 AM »
Originally posted by Makoyouidiot
I used to drive a '00 Jeep Wrangler...here's a pic.

Heh!  You had a biohazard symbol on the hood. :)

My vote for best ride is bnasty's set of rides (especially the -- what is it, a Pitts, an Eagle?).

I drive a Toyota Celica.