Author Topic: Dissapointing performance  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Dissapointing performance
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
So, you've got it calibrated and working now?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »
In layman's terms, True Air Speed is your ground speed and Indicated Air Speed is the speed of the air flow over your wings.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
OK, is the Mossie speed indicator the red dial and not the white one next to it? The red one tells me I'm getting about 320 mph, but, I'm only a few 1,000' up. Which is close. The Mossie made about 360 mph at alititude didnt it?

The Mossie in AH has flame dampers for night ops on it.  Those reduce the top speed by 10-15mph.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
So, you've got it calibrated and working now?

Yeah. I'm even taking off and landing on my own. Almost ready for on-line play I think.:aok
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
Yeah. I'm even taking off and landing on my own. Almost ready for on-line play I think.:aok

Do yourself a favor and spend some time with a trainer in the TA (training arena) There's an obscure link to them on the HTC home page. Anyone know off the top of their head?

Getting some help with view adjustments (the defaults are awfull) and with some basic SA (situational awareness) tips, and ACM (air combat manuevers) will help you during the initial stages of the learning curve.

Good luck and welcome to the game! :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Do yourself a favor and spend some time with a trainer in the TA (training arena) There's an obscure link to them on the HTC home page. Anyone know off the top of their head?

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Other very useful resources:

http://www.netaces.org (including Sodas plane evaluations - a bit dated yet still very helpful)

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php - quick fighter performance comparisons
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 01:40:24 AM »
Be prepared to get killed (and frustrated) a lot.  It will all be worth it when you get your first kill, then there's no turning back.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Be prepared to get killed (and frustrated) a lot.  It will all be worth it when you get your first kill, then there's no turning back.

I am kinda prepared to get murdered a lot. In fact I'm kinda hesitant to go online still. Heres where I'm at right now. I can take off unassisted, can navigate to a target, can attack the target, navigate back, and land. Ive done it in about 6 planes already.

How do you know when your good enough to go online ?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 02:55:36 PM »
If you don't have an account yet, the first time you try to log in you'll get a 2 week free trial. That's 2 weeks since you start it, so if you don't use it it'll go to waste.

You want to get as comfortable as you can offline before going online, so as to maximize your potential use of that 2 weeks. Try more complex manuvers, such as steep dives (up to compression) and recovery, zoom climbs, loops, wing-overs (or hammerheads, either one), perhaps barrel rolls, sudden 180-degree breaks, etc.

Flying level to and from a target is pretty basic. Also, practice on the offline drones. Learning to fly is one thing, learning to aim is another! You need a good mix of both eventually.

It's a common question so I'll answer it now: Offline drones don't fall out of the sky when you shoot wings off and such. They're not "flying" but are moving on invisible rails and will continue to until you make them explode. They are only there for gunnery practice. :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »
I am kinda prepared to get murdered a lot. In fact I'm kinda hesitant to go online still. Heres where I'm at right now. I can take off unassisted, can navigate to a target, can attack the target, navigate back, and land. Ive done it in about 6 planes already.

How do you know when your good enough to go online ?

If you ask me that way...I have to answer: Nobody is ever good enough ;)

But seriously, that's more than 99% of all new players can do when taking off to their first online flight.

C'mon, you've got nothing to lose. If really afraid of the online slaughter, join the Training Arena for some harmless practice :aok

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »
Being a Corsair fanatic, the first thing i practised was taking off and landing on carrier decks. One thing you could learn is getting used to the feel of your plane. I'm not doing too hot myself as I just started. Also, when you choose your ride, you should research stuff about it. It really does help.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »
Krusty is that also why the bombs dont explode in offline arena? I just flew a long mission to bomb a carrier and none of the bombs or torps blew up.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
Bombs can't be dropped too low. They need a minimum distance before they "arm"... Say 500 feet to 800 feet of altitude. You wait to the last second and you're dropping duds.

Torpedos only have a limited envelope for dropping. 200mph or less (150 or less is safer) and 150 feet or less above the water. As you can see you have to fly low, slow, and steady, otherwise they'll just break up on impact (or whatever) and die. If you drop them right, you'll see a splash then moments later a wake in the water.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:36 PM »
Thanks Krusty. I have a few other issues before I can get online for good. I went into the online training area and flew well. Then, when I went into one of the regular mission rooms I found I was not only limited by ther types of airplanes I could use, but also, I couldnt access any of my "F" views to fly my aircraft. I was limited to F1 the pilots view.

This took away the enjoyment of flying and since I couldnt "quit" out of the room, and couldnt land without my "F" views, I just crashed on purpose to get out of the game.

Can you tell me whats going on here? Also, how do you use the microphone/radio? I think I have it setup right but I cant hear anyone talking and cant find what shortcut is for "transmit".

Thank you.
f

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
I guess by regular mission rooms you mean the Main Arenas we have.

1. Limited plane selection: Seems you went into the EW (=early war) or MW (= mid war) arenas. Aircraft selection is indeed limited there due to timeframe considerations. Similar in the AvA, where specific setups are changed quite often. To get complete freedom of plane choice, go to the LW arenas, where generally all planes are enabled.

2. Views: That's right, the F3-F5 views are disabled for fighters & ground vehicles there. How else would you simultate the bad rear views some planes have, when you have a magic external view?  Only bombers have external views, simulating the fact that you have several crewmembers looking constantly in every direction. If you can only land by external view, you have learned it the wrong way. Get rid of that habit and you will pretty soon land better than ever before.

For voice setup (and help on similar basic) topics, best thing is to check the appropriate sections on this website and on the AH2 trainer corps webpage.