Author Topic: Spies - closing a game hole.  (Read 4089 times)

Offline carhint

• Zinc Member
Spies - closing a game hole.
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:40:18 PM »
Tonight, in mid war, we had a NIT change sides and spot and drop supplies for the NITS. (That is in addition to turning our CV around etc etc).  We lost a 8.5K airbase that we had captured that morning that we were using to hit the Nits hard with.  Now I do not like losing important bases, but I hate it when a spy is involved.

As pay back I went Nit for a while and spotted and dropped supplies.  Out of a sense of fair play I told my new “team mates” what I was doing.  They were not happy.  I understand.  They claimed that they had “no idea” etc etc.  Hard to believe.  (We lost two guys defending the downed town because the guy was spotting.)  The Nits told me that I was nuts and even lying – I maybe nuts (I’m taking this game too seriously) but the facts from my point of view were not misrepresented.

I do not like spies; they take away from the strategy and tactical aspect of the game.

And YES I know – there is nothing in the rule book about not being a spy – just a code of conduct that some of us wish to follow.  (BTW, I do not think that what I did was spying – I was pretty open about it – in part because I wanted to let them know that I was there so that they could either keep their communications to themselves – and in part to work them up – yep – many of them were not happy - although I did receive one or two expressions of love form one Nit with a sense of humor - and yes I still love you too!)

I think that there has got to be a way to kill your own country member if you need/want to.  Real world spies were killed all the time.  I do not know – is there a technical limitation within the game that stops this from happening?  I’m assuming that there is a difference between collisions and gun fire.  (I think that if friendly collisions were allowed then when two guys tried to up at the same time from the same runway you would have problems.  Image losing a 262 before you even take off!).  But there has to be a way of shooting a “friendly”.  Maybe it could be an option so that newbes don’t go around killing own team members by mistake.  Maybe it could be a non-permanent option i.e. you would have to select the option every time you upped.

This is just an idea to close a game weakness against those who game the game.

To the Nits not involved in the affair – my apologies.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »
I think that maybe folks need to remember it's a game and not take it nearly as serious as they do :)

I can barely remember what country I'm flying for when I fly.  Could be I'm spying on myself?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:52:14 PM »
If there was a way to kill friendlies, it would be used for all kinds of reasons. Dolts would shoot friendly planes just for the fun of it, envious guys would shoot you just because they don't like you. Imagine limping home from a sortie with 5 kills only to be shot down by a "friendly" pilot? You could trust nobody and after a short time, chaos would reign.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
All right all you spies, apologize and all will be forgiven. Now, where did I put my head choping axe?????

:noid
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:13:32 AM »
There were spies in WWII! :noid
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
Nobody likes spies, but going to the other country to spy on them to get revenge is just childish.  If you see someone or suspect someone is doing this let HTC know about it and let them handle it, going to the other country and spying on them is the wrong way to go about it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
There were spies in WWII! :noid

but what happened to them when they were caught ! :noid

P,s. isnt doing the same thing back to them the same as being the spy in the 1st place??
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline carhint

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 12:47:03 AM »
Of course there were spies in WWII.  But when you caught them you would shot them.

Again – I was doing I was open about for the reasons stated above.  And yep - it was not much fun for me either.

I have never heard of HTC dealing with this issue when reported.  Granted I have never reported it – has anyone?

I agree that being able to kill a fellow team might cause issues – but what my squad mates and I went through tonight was no fun either.  Again I think that it might work IF it is an option that you select in the hanger for just that flight.  I do not know – maybe it could be limited by semaphores so that you could only select it once a day or something like that.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 12:54:53 AM »
Originally posted by carhint
Of course there were spies in WWII.  But when you caught them you would shot them.
Then let's round up all of the AH spies and do the same!!!!!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:55:09 AM »
:noid :noid
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:00:41 AM »
Originally posted by carhint

I have never heard of HTC dealing with this issue when reported.  Granted I have never reported it – has anyone?

thats because this forum isnt the place for this ... it gets taken up directly with HTC thru email .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:09:47 AM »
Turning off killshooter is most stupid way to fight spies. And most ineffective too.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline xREAPERx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/_xreaperx_
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 01:21:38 AM »
:huh  that may be one of the worst ideas ive heard in a long time
xREAPERx tours 76-133 HITMAN tours 140-present

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:45:01 AM »
I too seriously doubt HTC would do anything about it even if you had a film depicting each act.  Map problem...... what map problem?

Your only real course of action is to imagine how pathetic this persons real life must be for them to feel some sense of accomplishment by stooping to such lowly levels.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

VWE

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 02:03:53 AM »
As pay back I went Nit for a while and spotted and dropped supplies

2 wrongs always make a right... how old are you, 12?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:06:33 AM by VWE »