Author Topic: Saitek Aviator  (Read 1227 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Saitek Aviator
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
I,ve been flying with my old 20 dollar walmart special for a while now.

About a month and a half ago the trigger started messing up real bad(ie.firing when it felt like it,which wasn,t often.)

I was in Best Buy this afternoon and impulsively bought a Saiteck Aviator stick.

Got back to work and read some reviews online.

A little bad----A little good.

I,m not gonna get a X-52 or any such thing.

Been pretty happy with my old walmart stick.

Anybody have any feedback on this thing?

Thanks,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
Is "It's ugly as sin" feedback? If so, then I have some.

It's ugly as sin.

:D

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »
For whatever reason, the 'EVO' isn't in stores anymore, and the price is about the same. Aviator has the silly toggle switches on front to simulate a real dashboard, which have no purpose in gaming world
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »
I have the Aviator and for the price range and availability I can say it does the job.  I do not like the throttle in the front of the stick (facing away from you) and the stick is a bit long for my likes.  The toggle switches in the back are 'okay.'  But functionally they are not as good; but, they kind of look cool.  The red light on the secondary fire button on top is always on, which can be annoying at night.

I've used it since March and the more I write this review the less I'm happy with it.  But I wasn't about to spend money on what my RL buddy did on an X-52 (and he stopped playing AH after month).  For my tastes it serves its purpose since my Sidewinder died.

I generally fly 20-30 hours a month at the moment, so anything more that $30-40 is excessive for me.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
You'll have ebbs and flows. If you're in it for the long run (and I think you are) a 1-time expense is more than justified. I would never have upgraded my computer if not for the rise in system resource use a while back (some number of updates back) in this game. It's justifiable, even though I only average < 20 hours a month these days.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:15:25 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
You'll have ebbs and flows. If you're in it for the long run (and I think you are) a 1-time expense is more than justified. I would never have upgraded my computer if not for the rise in system resource use a while back (some number of updates back) in this game. It's justifiable, even though I only average < 20 hours a month these days.

I swear, you'll argue just for the sake of arguement. As a matter of fact, thats mostly what you do. So which is it? the answer above or

No.

HTC made several changes a while back that made even "good" computers, things that could run Doom3, choke and chug. I remember because I was forced to upgrade. I didn't upgrade so I could play AAO better. I could already play that. I didn't upgrade so I could play HL2 better. I could already play that. The game code alone in AH2 changed to the point that my already-adequate system was unable to play the game properly.

There's a point when you have to say "No, no more bogging down my computer, it does everything else fine why are YOU making your program so needy and all-consuming when nobody else requires this power"

By your logic, Windows Vista minimum requirements' bloat are required, expected, and nay NECESSARY to force everybody in the nation to upgrade to a dual-core with 1GB ram just to run the OS by itself, not counting programs on top of that.

So you see, code bloat that forces hardware upgrades is not a good thing. Not when everything else out there runs fine and only this one game slows down. There's a point when you just have to say "no."

So,

"No."

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210055

Boner, try the stick. If it fits the bill for what you need/ can pay ATM, use it. If not, you have a couple weeks if not a month to return it to best buy.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:22:02 PM »
For YOUR information, that previous post (quoted) was about adding code bloat just for the hell of it.

I stand by what I said.

However, for the sake of a long-term hobby, you can justify occasional expenses, including shilling out money once in a while for better hardware if it's going to last.

Seems you're the one picking an argument. Whatever.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »
I use it.

I love the switches in the front, especially the mode selector switch. I don't even notice the red light. It's as close to HOTAS as you'll get.

The only thing I'd change about it would be to make it more heavy duty, but even that is a minor gripe because nothing on it has broken.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:43 PM »
What is the "mode selector"? Basically a shift switch?

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:59 PM »
Don't know anything about the Aviator, but I do use a Saitek X45. I've had this rig for over 2 years and it still works great for me. I have 1 hat switch that is starting to act up a bit, but I have a replacement switch for when it gets real bad so I figure I'll still be using this thing 2 years from now.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline windmill

• Zinc Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:57:05 PM »
I purchased the Saitek Aviator stick.  It's quite nice, for $40 you can't go wrong.

What is the "mode selector"? Basically a shift switch?

The mode selector lets you switch between two different set-ups, such as AHII and Combat Flight Sim.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
I liked the Saiteck 290 Pro because it was simple.

I,m a simple man with simple tastes, except when it comes to liquor and women.

Oh yeah cars too!

OK, I don't have simple tastes, but do i really need all those extra switches and thingamajiggies?

Am i missing something here?

Will all the extra fancy pants stuff on these sticks make my flying experience any more enjoyable than it already is?

Do they make it easier?

Questioningly Yours,

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
Our local Wal-Mart still has the Saitek 290 on the shelves - but it has also been carrying the Aviator.  If you like the 290, might be a good time to pick up a "spare".

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
I use the AV8R as it is labelled.

It's good for the price... the wife ain't gonna let me drop big bucks on a stick, I'm lucky she doesn't gripe about the $15/month.

The throntle on the back takes some getting used to, but I find the switches in the front very useful.  Map them to commonly used keys so I don't have to hit the keyboard often.

Offline denada

• Zinc Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
I have an Aviator. I like it. It's a good, simple stick. It's very lightweight, but it seems sturdy enough. The twist is quite stiff. It reminds me of the old Cyborg 3D sticks. One of the really interesting features is that it has dual throttles. These can be linked together with a button. I have one throttle set for throttle and the other for RPM. I often use them linked together. Unlike the fancy sticks, there are no trim wheels. I built a custom controller with lots of dials for its partner.