Author Topic: Saitek Aviator  (Read 1228 times)

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »
I also have an Av8tr. I got mine through a buddy of mine who's brother purchased it only to find out that AH wasn't for him. I didn't really like it after switching from a Sidewinder, but I got used to it after a week. I am really beginning to enjoy it. It's pretty broken in by now, and it performs the way I want it to. I haven't got around to programming any of the function switches; I dont want to take the time or effort, but I'll get around to it.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is the throttle being in the back and the stick being a little too tall. Using a microsoft sidewinder I was used to the stick forming to my hand, it was a little more ergonomic. The av8tr stick forces you to conform to it.

Overall, I think it is a pretty solid stick. I don't see myself upgrading to a better, more expensive stick anytime soon.
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 08:46:40 PM »
Originally posted by denada
I have an Aviator. I like it. It's a good, simple stick. It's very lightweight, but it seems sturdy enough. The twist is quite stiff. It reminds me of the old Cyborg 3D sticks. One of the really interesting features is that it has dual throttles. These can be linked together with a button. I have one throttle set for throttle and the other for RPM. I often use them linked together. Unlike the fancy sticks, there are no trim wheels. I built a custom controller with lots of dials for its partner.

Nice!  What did you use for an interface?
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
Originally posted by bj229r
For whatever reason, the 'EVO' isn't in stores anymore, and the price is about the same. Aviator has the silly toggle switches on front to simulate a real dashboard, which have no purpose in gaming world

Yeah back around Christmas I was looking for a new stick to replace my Logitec Attack 3 which was a peice of crap, so I did some research and liked what I heard about the Seitek EVO, but when I tryed to find one I couldn't, there wasn't a single online store that had one, so I had to spend the extra $20 and got the Seitek EVO force feedback which was still available.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »
my problem wth saitek sticks seems to be the exposed spring/washer/bearing surface mechanism that centers the stick.. i have an av8or and a st290, and both are gritty as hell after only a few months.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline denada

• Zinc Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
Originally posted by blkmgc
Nice!  What did you use for an interface?

http://www.aqza37.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html

The most amazing chip for the price ($17 for the chip, $35 for the mini board). You can build your own USB joystick with one of these. I bought the chip so I could teach my daughter a little about electronics. The mini board is not much more expensive, and unless you have a bunch of parts lying around the house, it will be cheaper with the mini board.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
What is the "mode selector"? Basically a shift switch?

Yep.

I've got it mapped to switch between control schemes for planes, gv's, and planes with taters.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Been using my ST290pro for almost 2 years now and it still works great for the $20 I paid for it. Went out and got another one for the other PC I liked it so much. Got a X45 sitting here but I prefer the simplicity of the ST290pro.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
Funny you say that, xbrit. I bought a couple of 290s, one after the other, and both of them went south after one month. It was almost to the day.

Good thing was, I contacted Saitek and sent one joystick in. It was still under warranty. They sent me a Cyborg joystick, as a replacement.

Works fine, although it's showing its age after a few months. Still, not as as bad as the 290. Not that the 290s didn't work well, they just broke down real fast.

I'll be sending the other 290 in soon. It should still be under warranty. Hopefully I'll get the same response from Saitek as last time.

xtiger

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 11:11:57 PM »
The toggle swtches for it, I use for changing modes 1-4, then all your functions change. I use it in conjuction with my Ch stick, and use the avaitor just for twist, and zoom. Also flaps and some other crap, I play with 2 joysticks at the same time. Im wierd.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
Another thing you can check out (if they still do it) is Saitek has/had refurbed sticks you could buy.  I bought a refurb X36 (precursor to the X45, X52)  for $40.   Out of the box I had some trouble with it, spoke to tech support and they swapped it out for me and sent me another.  That one lasted me for about 4 years till it finally started to go out on me.  Not bad for $40, and by then I was hooked and sprung for the CH gear.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »
Logitech xtream 3D pro....

35 bucks at Target w/ 90 day return policy.. by the way they last about 75 days and hat switch goes south.

LMAO ive had four 3d pros and paid for one.

Great stick...real simple...not mushy...nice and tight...

never tried a Satek...they just looked to lame.

>S< froger  <--------the other grean meat:eek: :eek: :eek:
frogs are people too

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 01:54:38 AM »
my first stick was saitek evo, i used it for 4 years, but i found myself reaching for keyboard during a dogfight, so i got the x-52
awesome works perfect (so far)
i think its worth the money
Boner

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 05:35:18 AM »
Originally posted by denada
http://www.aqza37.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html

The most amazing chip for the price ($17 for the chip, $35 for the mini board). You can build your own USB joystick with one of these. I bought the chip so I could teach my daughter a little about electronics. The mini board is not much more expensive, and unless you have a bunch of parts lying around the house, it will be cheaper with the mini board.

I wonder if it will work with 5V Hall sensors. I have a fully mechanical race wheel and pedal setup built out of stainless and aluminum (I own a machine shop). Just need to install the electronics. Was thinking about going with hall sensors instead of potentiometers which eventually wear out and spike. Also, where did you get the small red buttons. I have a contoured panel built into the wheel where I'd like to mount 6-8 of them. Thanks for letting me pick your brain. :)
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline denada

• Zinc Member
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
Hall sensors work just like potentiometers, so they will work fine. I bought the red buttons from Radio Shack. Most of my electronic components I buy online from Jameco. Potentiometers and Hall sensors can vary a lot in price, so stop by several websites and have them send you their catalogs.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Saitek Aviator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »
I just got an AV8R...works great...$40 at BestBuy. :D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com