Author Topic: First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap  (Read 6775 times)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
We all LOVE to eat….

I have seen “You Suck/Your Country Sucks” threads come to a grinding halt and truce flags come out when someone mentions food and recipes for great munchies.

So lets put the daggers away for a thread and contribute some tasty posts!

If you are the kind of person whose idea of cooking is pulling something store bought out of the freezer and micro waving it, this thread might not be for you.

If your recipe is ORIGINAL…take credit as original.  If you got if from epicurious.com or emerils.com, (etc.) give credit where credit is due.  

POST THE RECIPE…. if you want to post the link to the original recipe as well, fine, but please do not post just the links.

We have players from all over the world here, so I’d LOVE to see folks post recipes from their home countries that other people may not know about.  

I'll Start....

68ROX's "Lightning Lancers Garlic Burgers"

3 lbs ground beef
2 heads garlic  (See instructions)
68ROX BBQ Seasoning**(See below)
5 Spring Onions (or Shallotts), finely diced
Provolone Cheese (Thinly sliced)
Liquid Smoke

Take ground beef and kneed in finely diced spring onions.  Form beef into round, flat, patties, about 1" thick.  Carefully peel and slice garlic into slivers (roughly 1/4" by the lenth of the clove), lengthwise, and insert into patties at the side edges, about one sliver of garlic every inch or so.

Before cooking on the charcoal grill, give each patty a few shakes of Liquid smoke, and dust with 68ROX BBQ Seasoning **.

Grill until done to taste (mine are a shade Medium, but be careful with ground beef as if not properly cooked can lead to food poisoning.)

The garlic will mellow as it cooks.

In the last couple of minutes of grilling, place a slice of provolone cheese on top of each pattie.

Options:  Cheddar Cheese, Monterrey Jack.  You can also put 3 minced Jalepenos into the meat before forming into patties.

** 68ROX'S BBQ Seasoning

3 T Prepared BBQ Spice
1 T Paprica
1 T Garlic Powder
1 T Kosher Salt (Or imitation salt for low-sodium folks)
1/2 T Oregano
1/2 T Basil
1/2 T Cayenne Pepper
1 t Finely Gound Black Pepper
1 t Powdered Mustard
1 t White Pepper

Take all ingredients and run in a food processor until it's a fine powder.

68ROX's Basic Jalepeno Hot Sauce

2 lbs Jalepenos
White Vinegar
Salt
1 T Corn Starch
1 T Water

Place stemmed jalepenos in a blender.  Fill with vinegar ONLY to the point that the jalepenos begin to float...NO MORE.  Add 1T Kosher or sea salt.  Blend on HIGH until the only discernable thing you can see is white seed bits.

Take sauce to a COVERED saucepan (uncovered, the steam can cause members of your houshold to flee, coughing), and gently bring to a boil.  Once the sauce has started to bubble, cover and cook on LOW heat for 20 minutes, stirring ocassionally.

Return to the blender and blend on HIGH.

Return to the saucepan.  Mix corn starch and water into a liquid-paste and SLOWLY add to the sauce while stirring.

Cook on LOW 10 additional minutes.

When you are ready to put your sauce into bottles..using a meat thermometer, increase heat to where the sauce is 190-195 degrees F.  Quickly transfer the sauce to bottles or mason jars (that have been boiled).  A kitchen funnel works nicely.

Let containers cool and store in the refirgerator after opening.  Sauce lasts 1-2 years with this method.

Bon Appitit!

So....what's YOUR favorite that you can contribute?

68ROX
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:34:34 AM by 68ROX »

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
Take bowl, add cereal, and milk.  Eat with spoon.

Take bread, add to toaster, add jelly/butter.  Eat with hand.

:)
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

VWE

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
Hey Rox, to add a new twist on your burger go and see if you can find Boars Head horseradish cheddar. Its a white cheddar cheese with horseradish in it and will make your cheese burgers something to really remember.

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Originally posted by VWE
Hey Rox, to add a new twist on your burger go and see if you can find Boars Head horseradish cheddar. Its a white cheddar cheese with horseradish in it and will make your cheese burgers something to really remember.

AWESOME IDEA!

When you get back to the states, and are in my neck of the woods, look me up!  I'll grill you up all you can eat with that cheese, my compliments.

Your favorite adult golden beverage on ice is a given.

It would be a great way to say "Thank You" for your service to our country.

<>

68ROX

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
1 round ripe Tomato. Very cold if preferable.
2 slices of very soft White Bread.
1 Tbl spoon of Miracle Whip.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Slice Red Tomato into 1/4 inch slices and place on the 1st slice of White Bread. You may want to cut Tomato slices in half to prevent overlaping.

Add Salt and Pepper... to your induhvidual liking.

Spread 1 Tbl spoon of Miracle Whip on 2nd slice of White Bread.

Combine Bread slices, Miracle Whip facing Tomato slices and align White Bread crusts accordingly.

Cut this culminary delight diagonally from the top left towards the bottom right and place on fine China.

Pour at least 12 OZ of ice cold Nectar of Cow, (Milk) into a nice Crystal Glass.

Locate LaztBoy chair, TV Remote and turn on fan so that the air blows up the right leg of your shorts. *shirt not required*

Bon Appetite

:aok

Mac
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:37:53 AM by AWMac »

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »
Okay, time to break open the molecular gastronomy cookbooks.

Most people believe that you should sear a piece of meat and lock in the juices. It's not really true. You can compare to identical pieces of meat, one slow cooked, and one seared, and the seared cut loses more weight over the cooking process. When you heat the meat up very high, it actually squeezes the water out of the muscle.

So, this is an unconventional way to make a steak that BBQ purists I'm sure will flame me for...

Needs:

Steak, your choice of cut
Plastic zip-lock back that can fit the steak
Seasonings
Thermometer
Large pot
Frying pan

Season your steak to taste, put it in a thick plastic bag (1 steak per bag for best results), and squeeze all the air out. Set it off to the side.

Okay, fill up a large pot of water, salt the water a bit, and bring it up to precisely 60 C (140 F). Put the steak, still in the sealed bag, into the water and leave it for 30 minutes (more if it's a very thick cut).

You can actually leave the bags in the water for over 30 minutes, as long as the water does not go over 140 F.

After 30 minutes, pull out the bag, remove the steak from the bag, and immediately sear it (takes < 60 seconds per side) over extremely high heat in the skillet.

This gives you the perfect medium cooked steak, every time. Maximum juiciness, very, very tender with a crispy crust.

Now lemme see if I can dig up a mango-pine fish recipe.. that's good eating.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »
Wurzels Garlic n Ginger Chicken Kiev

Mix Garlic, fresh ginger, butter and brie in a bowl, sit in fridge for 1 hour (makes it easier to work with), quantities to suit!
Take chicken breast, carefully cut down one side, so you can open them up.

Spoon in Garlic, ginger, butter and brie mix. To help seal the chicken, you can "glue" each half on the sides with egg

Dip in a shallow dish of milk

Dip in a shallow dish of flour

Dip in a shallow disk of melted butter

Dip in Bread crumbs

Deep fry in a fat fryer, until golden orange. Serve with veg of your choice (just be careful of that hot brie, it sticks n burns a tiny bit......but its worth it....). You can obviously use other cheeses as well, if brie isnt your thing.

Wurzel (no cook, but can get some tasty stuff out of the oven!!)
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:46:25 AM »
Rox I think this is a great idea.  Thanks for the recipes I'm going to give a couple of them a shot.  I'll throw some of mine on here later tonight.  
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

VWE

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:54 PM »
I'll take you up on that when I get back... I do alot of travel between central Texas and Kentucky when I'm in the U.S.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »
The Hair of the Dog Soup.

Stumble into the kitchen, realizing hunger pain, headache, eye aches and hearing pain.

Place dog outside, barking causes pain.  Stumble back into kitchen and drink 3 glasses of cold water.  Retreat rapidly to bathroom.

Wipe mouth, chin, neck and floor. Spash cold water on face and avoid looking into the mirror.  Return to kitchen.

Make plans on cooking soup. Soup can sometimes be easy to prepare.

Reach under cabinets to retrive a good sized pot carefully. Bangings pots slightly together causes pain. Gently place on stove.

Follow the walls to the pantry. Step on cat and politely warn cat that screeching can only awaken the Dragon. Place cat outside with dog.

Remove a Red and White can from the pantry with the word "Tomato" that has Camb Bells on the label and return to kitchen. read directions... cover right eye to read directions.... try covering left eye to read directions..... screw directions. Do not use the 'lectic can opener, sound causes pain. Find the manual can opener thingy in the drawer with all the other thingys in it... be very quiet in searching... remember the Dragon?

Struggle 30 minutes to get can opened. Try and remove contents into pot... use anything in reach to remove contents.. *Pot Mitts are not recommended*.

Remove cold beer from fridge, add 1/2 can to pot and sip other half.  Add 4 shots of Vodka, a stalk of celery and a small can of V8 juice. Place stove burner on low. wait 20 minutes.... watch pot.  After 30 minutes place pot on the red burner. Wait 20 minutes.

Once contents in the pot have congealed remove pot from stove... using the handle. Avoid using the messing Pot Mitts. Slowly glump it into a bigger bowl making sure the brown celery is included.  Turn off all burners on the stove to prevent the Fire Department from showing up...... again.

Take bowl and fork to LazyBoy chair to enjoy and watch cartoons. After burning lips with fork return to kitchen to find the 1/2 beer and a spoon.

Stare at TV. Damm we have two TV's that don't work?

Have kids turn on TV's.

Enjoy Japanesse Cartoons, soup and await the Wrath of the Dragon.

:huh

Mac

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
Peas N Maters (southern dish)lol

3  15oz cans of purple hull peas(must be purple hull)
1  15oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 stick of butter
salt and pepper as desired

low heat for about 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally
makes 8 servings

options:

garlic
bell peppers
sliced smoke sausages
jalapenos

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 12:50:05 PM »
Steak + fire = good.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
:rofl

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
**** on a stick.

Local delicacy in central PA. Can be eaten, sniffed, or just smeared on the face of the guy next to you. Whatever the situation calls for.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
CornBread
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
MUST have an Iron Skillet.

Turn oven on 350 degree's

Place a nice helping of Butter in skillet and place in oven while the rest of the ingredients are mixed.

In large bowl combine 2 cups of Corn Meal with one cup of flour ( self Rising)

Combine 1 egg and 1 1/3 cup of milk into bowl.

MIX thouraghly for about 3-4 mins.

Let sit about 2 mins.

Check on pan in oven, and if signifigantly hot, Swirl butter around pan untill all coated. Take remaining butter, and put in MIX, stir and add mix to pan. It should immediatly sear out side, place in oven for about 22 mins. Test with fork. If no wet batter winds up on fork its done.

Mix with anything. Beats that jiffy crap any day. Add jelly if you prefer it sweet.

Cheers
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.