Author Topic: Armor plate  (Read 975 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Armor plate
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
I'm wondering about the effectiveness of armor plate in Aces High II.  It seems to me that it has no chance of stopping anything larger than a thirty caliber bullet.  Now, while I realize that a fifty caliber machine gun has been tested to penetrate a fair amount of metal, it must also be realized that these guns have to strike the aluminum skin and then punch through numerous support structures, as well as probably the fuel tank, in order to get to the armor plate.  In the case of the twenty millimeter cannon, that means detonating before it hits the plate, so only pieces of the round will reach it.  I've read numerous descriptions of cannon round dents in the armor plate, and similar things.  I think that the stopping power of the armor plate in Aces High II needs some looking at.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Armor plate
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:59:52 AM »
When a guy 800 and falling back gave me a PW with a spray and pray shot with 1 ping earlier from 50 cal  I thought the same thing.

dead six slightly lower than myself just wondering how it managed to hit my poor dweeby weak virtual cartoon pilot when my whole plane would have been in the way....
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Armor plate
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
Originally posted by Bruv119 dead six slightly lower than myself just wondering how it managed to hit my poor dweeby weak virtual cartoon pilot when my whole plane would have been in the way....
ha, you were looking back, weren't you? :rolleyes:
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Armor plate
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »
Not prolonged looking back quick check to see where he was.  When the bullet hit was looking forward.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Armor plate
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
Hey Maybe there could be a new key definition for like "HIDE ARSE BEHIND ARMOR PLATE AS I RUN" Button.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline devild0g

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Armor plate
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Lol i always thought when someone went head on pressing pg down button so my head would be under control pannel would save me from pilot wound but guess what bullets are ghost form until they pass into cockpit where they become solid objects ^_^ if u get pilot wound from the front and ur hididng behind cockpit it means bullet went into your hydraulics followed the hose and came out one of your instruments... btw if a 20mm round hit a human lets say their arm it would rip their arm off.... lol so that explains the twisted ketchup pack explosion on your window and btw yes the F4u was reinforced with extra armor in the back of the pilot thats why you have very poor visibility out the back in f4us

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:15 PM »
Originally posted by devild0g
Lol i always thought when someone went head on pressing pg down button so my head would be under control pannel would save me from pilot wound but guess what bullets are ghost form until they pass into cockpit where they become solid objects ^_^ if u get pilot wound from the front and ur hididng behind cockpit it means bullet went into your hydraulics followed the hose and came out one of your instruments... btw if a 20mm round hit a human lets say their arm it would rip their arm off.... lol so that explains the twisted ketchup pack explosion on your window and btw yes the F4u was reinforced with extra armor in the back of the pilot thats why you have very poor visibility out the back in f4us
Sweet Wall of Text.   Is it a 5.10c?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Armor plate
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
Depending on the aircraft, there may not be much behind you to stop
a 50 cal.  The radio was often placed behind the cockpit in a single seater,
but it's gonna take one big honking radio to stop a 50 or 20mm.

Aircraft are built to be strong, but light.  Just because it looks metal
doesn't mean that is steel back there..usually aluminum.

As the pilot wounding goes, we're probably given a bit of a break by
HTC as most of the rounds fired are larger than 30 cal.  Even a grazing
hit from these larger rounds can be absolutely devastating to the human
body.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Armor plate
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
Not prolonged looking back quick check to see where he was.  When the bullet hit was looking forward.
Sorry Bruv. Was kidding. Was definately not trying to come up with a reason why you'd get a pilot wound.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
Armor plate
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
Perhaps he shot way above you and the bullet hit you on it's way down to earth?  Now that's weapon modeling!!

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Armor plate
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:29:19 PM »
ive never gotten a pilot wound from a 20mm it usually results in an immediate tower out. 50 cals and 303s yes. and it depends on the plane but i do frequently get 6 oclock pws in my mustang
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Armor plate
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
Aircraft are built to be strong, but light.  Just because it looks metal
doesn't mean that is steel back there..usually aluminum.

5/16" face hardened steel plate was the armor plate specified for most U.S. fighters behind the seat and in the firewall.  Don't know how much stopping power that has, but like Benny said, I have read a lot of annecdotes from U.S. pilots about its effectiveness--especially against cannon fragments and one specific example of 200 rounds of German 7.7mm.  Seems like that should be decent protection from just about all small caliber rounds, and maybe even non-armor piercing .50 or equivalent.  Perhaps someone in the armor/ballistics world can expound on that.  I got sprayed by a P-51 at 1.0K icon range the other night.  I was in a Jug and got a pilot wound from a dead six shot.  No other damage other than that.  It made my day.

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
Armor plate
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
Originally posted by devild0g

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that 'cap' on the F4U's rear canopy some device to prevent glass cracking?

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Armor plate
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »
Not sure exactly how the PW's are modeled.  I'll get sprayed with no damage to the plane and PW's from low-6 on occasions...  my favorite was a 6 o'clock shot that PW'd my B-17 pilot.  Expalin that one

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
I got sprayed by a P-51 at 1.0K icon range the other night.  I was in a Jug and got a pilot wound from a dead six shot.

The 50cal API round is a FAR cry from small rifle-caliber rounds. The 50 caliber can pierce a 1/4 in steel plate at 1 mile out, and then ALSO pierce a second 1/4 steel place 3 feet behind THAT one.

Keep that in mind. 50cal API eat through steel like a hot knife through butter.

If you'd been hit by 7mms you might have been safe. Those 50cals are killer. Granted, getting hits that far out is pretty lucky, and the fact they hit your pilot more so.