Author Topic: Open carry test  (Read 2895 times)

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Nope, don't think I did?

You kill a cop that tried to unlawfully arrest you, you're in trouble.

No, you're not and there's case law to back it up.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Open carry test
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
No, you're not and there's case law to back it up.

Look, Steve, I really don't want to get into it with you...

All I'm saying, is that if you kill their partner, the charges that were originally and unlawfully brought against you, are all of a sudden going to turn into something that would have been lawful.

I've been arrested enough times.  My friends have been arrested enough times.  I work at a place where all we do is deal with people who've been arrested enough times.  

The police do what they want.  Sometimes they get caught, many times they don't.  Do you really want to make that gamble to prove a point?  

Wouldn't it be wiser to just get off the unlawful charges via the courts rather than try to be a hard*** right back to the cops and escalate the situation for, basically, nothing but pride?

Then again, maybe cops where you live are different than the ones up here.  Who knows.

Again, not trying to strike a nerve or dispute you.  Technically, you are of course right.  But, c'mon, what do you honestly think the average joe who tries it is going to find?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Open carry test
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
nm

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Open carry test
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
I hope I run into you in this situation some day(without the tard friend of course).   Your department will pay my way through the rest of my life.

Does what you say, when you say?  Please, please try that on me, then arrest me.  Good luck on whatever new career you choose afterward.

I was going to say something to that effect  in language that was a bit more coarse then you put it.

We'll go with your statement instead.
:aok

that being said. The guys buddy deserved to be body slammed to the ground,cuffed and taken away the moment he did the hand but in front of the other cops face.

Or as soon as the subject at hand was resolved.

Personally I dont see how the cell phone could have been used as a weapon.
That statement is downright rediculous.

LOL Try attacking me witha cell phone and you'll be real embarrassed explaining it in the ER how a cell phone ended up in your rectum
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:10:46 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Look, Steve, I really don't want to get into it with you...

The police do what they want.  Sometimes they get caught, many times they don't.  Do you really want to make that gamble to prove a point?  

Wouldn't it be wiser to just get off the unlawful charges via the courts rather than try to be a hard*** right back to the cops and escalate the situation for, basically, nothing but pride?

Then again, maybe cops where you live are different than the ones up here.  Who knows.

Again, not trying to strike a nerve or dispute you.  Technically, you are of course right.  But, c'mon, what do you honestly think the average joe who tries it is going to find?

I certainly wouldn't let a situation to escalate to the point of deadly force merely to prove a point, of course not.

The cops where I live are quite accustomed to open carry so they wouldn't make the same career ending mistake as Xmarine says he would.

And, the next step in our discussion is what you brought up. How badly does one need to be right?  in other words, I think the circumstances would dictate how far one would want to take a confrontation about wrongful arrest.

I think most circumstances wouldn't warrant serious resistance but what about something unknown/extreme like this: You are eating at a restaurant outside w/ your wife and 4 young children.  You have opted to carry open because you are in Wisconsin and there is no concealed weapons allowed but you can carry open legally, no permit required. A person in uniform approaches you and demands your firearm and says he wants to talk to you.

I'm not sure what you would do but I can tell you that short of a gunfight, he's not going to get mine.  This "cop" has just asked me to disarm myself, unlawfully, while he himself is armed with a gun. For all I know he is not a cop at all, since he obviously doesn't know the law. I'm not going to render myself unable to defend my family with an armed person confronting me, simply because he has a nice police uniform on.

Certainly the above is extreme. Just as certainly, things like this HAVE happened.

Finally, let me make something clear, I have no interest in getting in a scuffle w/ the police, I appreciate the job they do and I am "pro" cop.  I have no dreams of being a tough guy or being put in any kind of situation that we've discussed.  I'll be happy if I never again have to pull my weapon.
I just do not like the way the govt has chipped away at the second amendment and continues to do so.

Steve

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
The guys buddy deserved to be body slammed to the ground,cuffed and taken away the moment he did the hand but in front of the other cops face.

Beyond the mistakes the police made in this video(tactically speaking) I thought they showed great restraint for not dealing with the guy that waved his hand in front of the cops face. I believe that guy was really pushing the bounds of DC.

The tard is lucky he didn't make inadvertant contact with one of the cops or we might have seen a very different ending. Had I been the guy with the gun, I would have told the idiot to shut the hell up and made it clear to the cops that I was NOT with him.  IMHO the loudmouthed tard was the most dangerous catalyst in the scenario, not the civi w/ the gun.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Open carry test
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 09:58:25 PM »
No, the open-carry guy held his phone out so that tard-buddy could be heard on the broadcast. It's all about creating drama... period... and tard-buddy was inadvertently helping his cause.

Turn on a camera and watch people fall over themselves to see who can be the most outrageous, the most scandalous, the most dramatic. Open-carry guy was trolling for trouble and reactions, and guess what?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »
Trolling for trouble? He had parked his car and was walking into the bar when the safety officer stopped him.  He was broadcasting via phone so there was a record.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »
Legally, what information are you REQUIRED to provide to a police officer, and what can you legally refrain from?>
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Flint

• Copper Member
Open carry test
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
I found it interesting that the guy didn't have to back up his name and address with proof.

So you got this guy with a gun and a loon for a friend (who seems to get off on enhancing situations) and all you can do is ask his name without blocking his way.

I'm kinda feeling sry for these US cops - talk about cards stacked against.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Open carry test
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 10:26:21 PM »
As a citizen of New Hampshire, Im ignorant to the open carry law. Personally I dont feel the need to prance around with a pistol at my side. As if the cops dont deal with enough stress, we have people (probably lawyers out on hobby day) trying to stir the pot.

I do appreciate the message where it puts the cops in their place as servants not masters however. I just think making a scene, and challenging them on the street, basically belittling them isnt the way to educate people.

Now imagine that same scene if it was in LA and that guy was a black man.

~AoM~

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 10:27:41 PM »
Originally posted by Flint
I found it interesting that the guy didn't have to back up his name and address with proof.
Why?  He wasn't committing a crime.

Or are you arguing that he should show his papers please?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Legally, what information are you REQUIRED to provide to a police officer,

No information whatsoever, if you aren't operating a motor vehicle, or breaking the law.  You are not required to carry ID on you.  Since driving is a privilege, one must have a DL in one's possession when operating  a MV.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 10:39:15 PM »
Filth, you DID catch that the guy was just walking down the sidewalk and the police detained him, right?  How is that OK if he's not violating the law?  The police officer was in the wrong, how does HIS mistake turn into the fault of the improperly stopped?

Offline Flint

• Copper Member
Open carry test
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 10:40:10 PM »
Just saying that in this day and age there are a lot of liers out there - if you wern't a threat and had no weapons - no problem. The fact that you're carrying a 9mm, new to town and have an inciteful slogan on your t-shirt means maybe we should have a chat.

I mean jeez -  Was calmly handled and no one got hurt. Pisses me off that guys who spend their lives trying to protect the communities that they grew up in and love are such easy targets.

Why does everyone have to be a lawer these days.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:46:40 PM by Flint »