Author Topic: BSOD (blue screen of despair)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
BSOD (blue screen of despair)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
Try this link for your STOP error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182/

Granted this doesnt apply your problem exactly, but I'd bet its similar.  Since you didn't just install Windows, I'd bet on bad memory.  Still, you can rule out your other hardware by running the DxDiagnostic tests.  I noticed you didnt run any of the tests.  It will tell if your video or sound drivers are causing lockups if you run the tests.  If one or the other fails, you found your culprit.

Edit

Either that or your hard drive is full.  How much space do you have on your hard drive?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
No, before it got to that, Windows would slow down, and pop up a warning "System low on resources, run disk cleaner now?" (I've had that happen before, MOST annoying)

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »
I'll try what you told me in a second star of africa.  

CAUSE
This issue may occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This may occur if one or more of the following conditions exist:
•   If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.
•   If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.  <--- long after this and the above.  
•   Incompatible video adapter drivers. <---- NO, because I was getting this problem before I updated my driver.
•   DAMAGED RAM  <----- THIS COULD BE IT
•   A damaged device driver or system service.
•   If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program. <----  don't think so.
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 03:42:09 PM »
Might if Windows is using a dynamic size for whatever they call virtual memory now.  It would be fine at startup and under normal usage, but might try to increase it during certain applications and get a STOP error.  Or if part of the hard drive is bad and nothing can write to it but Windows still shows it as available.

My money is still on bad RAM.

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »
OKAY, testing the direct X stuff.

I tested my direct draw.  I saw what looked like an optical illusion, then it asked me if I had seen these rectangle things.  I GUESS I did.  Because I considered the lines for the optical illusion looking thing to be rectangles.  It looked like, a cone/pyramid thing.  I also saw the bouncing white box in the small black square.  And then it went to full screen.  I saw the bouncing white box, but it wasn't going all the way to the top corners of the screen.  I said yes anyway.  

As for my test 3D thing.  I saw, what looked like a big hase... when it got done, it was a box with the direct x logo on it.  It asked me if I saw it spinning...  I GUESS I saw it spinning, it was moving really fast.  :rolleyes:

As for the sound thing... I heard a rainforesty sound, over and over again.  After I was done with that, a little box came up and said.  'Your sound card does not support hardware buffering.  Sounds will only playback from software buffers.  
(hmmm... need a new sound card?)  

for the music thing... I heard all of them the same, and it was some kind of jazz/funk thing.  Kind of like what you would use for an early morning soap Oprah or talk show.  :D

Looks like that's about it, i also tested my Microphone... I didn't know I sounded like I did :huh   :cry   anyway.  Tell me what you think.
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »
OKAY... so...  Should I try adding RAM to my computard?

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 11:02:29 AM »
I got to play for a good 15 minutes today before I got the blue screen again.  :(

This time it said

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: kmixer.SYS  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

:huh

It also said everything else.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
I did a google search for what you typed, and got this as one of the top 5 responces.....

Hello to everyone who is searching for helpful information on the
BlueScreens and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Errors:

I had a lot of fun ;-) with lots of blue screens with sometimes a hint
at kmixer.sys and / or even nv4_disp.dll or so.

My CPU is a 2500+ at 3200+ and in combination with my old Geforce 2
GTS it was all great. Then I bought a new graphics-card and boom: i
was getting blue screens again and again. o.k. logical i changed the
graphics card with 3 other models, all geforce 5900 or 5900 XT with
extra power connection.

I did bios - updates,i did updates on everything, i bought ram-coolers
for my graphics card and for my normal rams. I did grab the net for
any information that could be helpful.

#############################
In SHORT: IT WAS THE VCORE FOR THE CPU, THAT WAS TO LOW.
#############################
(in the new combination with the graphics card)

(to solve it that did cost me about 1 weeks and I am a technician)

IN FACT INSUFFICANT POWER SUPPLY MAY BE THE SOURCE OF MANY PROBLEMS
OUT THERE. Think about it.

some keywords: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA nv4_disp kmixer.sys Blue
Screen bluescreen BSOD hangs freezes freezing freeze especially
playing games 3D Nvidia 5900 5900XT

You may want to find out what size power supply you have.

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »
how would I do that?

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »
Originally posted by Oogly50
how would I do that?

Open the computer case and look at the label on the power supply. They all have labels with the power specifications listed.

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 04:06:58 PM »
When you look at the power supply check the max amps for the 12v legs. The
newer vid cards require a hefty load capability. Not sure about intergrated chips,
but suspect amps would be the source, unless you have a real low power supply, like a 250watt supply.

My 6800 and 7800 require a minumum of 20amps for the 12v legs. You'd have to check with the mtb manufacturer's tech support to see if there's any minimum for your system. For a 5x series I would guess 12 to 14 amps should be fine, but check with your mtb manufacturer just to be sure

If you can't see any info tag on the side of the power supply, post the brand and model number here, and I'll see if I can find anything out on it fer ya.

Wabbit
Morals & Manners Officer
Whitey's Buccaneers
5th Army Air Corps
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say "Naaaaahhh" (that is, I wouldn't think that's the problem, if it were my PC)

You should be able to read the voltages on the core (either from BIOS screen or from a hardware probe utility program). That'd be the easiest way to figure out if the core is getting enough juice. Way back when my old PSU was failing (stupid piece of junk!) it was severely under-volting my CPU, and it showed in all the probe utilities, and in my BIOS screen.

Might be easier to check that than try to explain the intricacies of PSU power distribution and sticker-reading ;)

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
okay... so, like I had mentioned earlier.  I got it on every game I played.

Today, I played a game called blockland.  Fun game...  Online.  And then... and then....  I got the blue screen again!  :cry

but this time... it said something a little bit different.

It had the usual mumbo-jumbo.  But in technical information It said :

***STOP: 6x000000BE (0x0067c804, 0x05F4B025, 0xFA00DE88, 0x0000000A)

***USBPORT.SYS-Adress F9970E7B base at F9965000 datestamp 41107d62

And, here's some things that I have learned SO FAR.

1. I have very little RAM (256)  

2. It happens to every online game I play.

3. It only happens online... I could play aceshigh 2 offline for days on end, with no bluescreen.

4. MY internet works fine...

5. I run spyware, adware, and virus scans every week.  But still hasn't fixed the problem.  

6. My video driver likes to un-install itself occasionally.  Usually after I scan.

7. Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, it shuts down, and on my monitor, blinding flashes of color fill my monitor.  EVERYWHERE.  My computer then slowly recovers.  20% of the time this happens, my driver uninstalls during the process.

As for what YOU said krusty.  how would I check my BIOS.  My blue screen keeps yelling at me too... but I dont know where i would go searching for it.  

IF you guys manage to fix this problem...  I will...  be very very happy!  

Thanks in advance :aok

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
When you boot up your computer usually you have a black screen with white text listing various things like bios version and other system information. While that's happening there's usually a message near the bottom of the screen to "press F1 to enter setup" or something like that. That's what you need to do to enter the bios area. The message and the opportunity to hit F1 or whatever key it tells you isn't onscreen very long so you have to act fast.

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Okay...  I tried looking for that screen.  Couldn't find it, instead a couple of other screens popped up.

The first one was simply one that showed computer temp for about... 2 seconds.  I pressed f1 during this and nothing happened.  Next came a screen that in the top left corner... said:

Invalid BOOT.INI File
booting from C:\windows\

And then that disk check screen came up... which usually comes up after every blue screen.  If you want to know what it was...  I can tell you.

Heck, I'll just tell you now.

It said all the usual silly stuff about what it was doing, and said that the type of the file system is FAT32

Volume Serial Number is 1BOC-5B36

ALSO.  A system configuration utility pops up every time I start my computer. Under general everything is checked.  

But when I go to BOOT.INI  Nothing is checked.  When I click one something... the utility locks up, and then I can't close it.  After that, something comes up in the center of my screen saying.  DrWattson DeBug reporter has encountered a problem.

I DON'T EVEN HAVE THIS PROGRAM... I don't know what it is!  My computer is so messed up!!!  All I wanted to do was play aces high!!!  
 :cry :cry :cry

Help please
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:10:48 PM by Oogly50 »