Author Topic: P-51 Airfoil and Turn Performance  (Read 30784 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P-51 Airfoil and Turn Performance
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 11:51:08 PM »
Originally posted by Badboy
Here is an EM diagram for the P51D and P47D25 both with full flaps. It shows that the P51 has a better sustained turn rate, but a slightly wider radius.

You can see the relationship between the sustained turn radius and rate better in this diagram, which also includes the P51B.

You can see from this that both the P51D and the P51B have higher sustained turn rates and can therefore out turn the P47D25 at full flaps when they both have 25% fuel. The P-51B has a better sustained turn rate and a smaller radius, which doesn't agree with your original graphic.

In general, a similar type of flap design can have a very different effect on wings of varying profile and planform. Their relative position, size and integration with the main wing can yield significantly different results.

Badboy

Well, your diagrams are completely dependent upon the data used to plot them. I get substantially different turn radius figures for many of the aircraft on the diagrams. You have the F6F-5 at nearly a 500 foot radius. Depending upon how hard I push it, I get between 457 and 462 feet (the latter can be sustained forever without a twitch). Meanwhile, the F6F is turning at nearly 2 degrees per second faster than the F4U-1D (21.2 deg/sec vs 19.4 deg/sec).
Likewise, I can get 593.8 feet for the P-51D (compared to Mosq's 632.9 ft) at 18.12 deg/sec (compared to Mosq's 16.3 deg/sec).

My diagrams come directly from film.. They show the best turn radius I could generate. If it differs with your data, then I would retest the aircraft and verify that the data is the best available.

Finding the smallest turn radius often means not flying the fighter TOO deep into the stall buffet. To do so increases the diameter of the circle and increases the time required to complete a circle. It takes several attempts to find the required balance. Sometimes, more than several.

Now here's where the P-51s get strange. I tested the D model at all flaps settings and the rate of turn varies very little, but the radius does tighten.

Here's the data, by flap position, time, mph and degrees/second to complete 3 turns.

No flaps: 60.12 seconds @ 174 mph 17.96 deg/sec
1/5: 59.78 seconds @ 171 mph 18.066 deg/sec
2/5: 59.76 seconds @ 155 mph 18.072 deg/sec
3/5: 59.81 seconds @ 146 mph 18.057 deg/sec
4/5: 59.94 seconds @ 137 mph 18.02 deg/sec
Full Flaps: 59.59 seconds @ 128 mph 18.12 deg/sec

Essentially, regardless of speed or flap position, the rate of turn is stagnant. That is, to my eye, is rather unusual. I'd sure like to see an explanation of the P-51's flight modeling, because I don't understand why it has deteriorated, nor do I understand the constant turn rate regardless of flap position.

Also, here's the diagrams of the F6F-5 and F4U-1D.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 06:35:52 AM »
Widewing,
look at the 2nd diagram, he states it is from AH2 version 2.08 patch 3 thru AH2 version 2.10 patch 2..

that is probably why you both have differences....

Badboy uses his own test results I thought?   the planes were done in all different version/patches  is what I would assume he meant by posting that on his diagram...and with the tweaking done to the drag model or whatever some claim ( trying to stay non biased ;)  ) then thaere would be the difference.....you testing this week, his test results are over a span of version updates....

how it reads anyhow......

I really like your new idea of showing from the film, Widewing, it also shows how far in the turn one can roll the lift vector( angle of wings ) and can compare them as well...... with the red line ladder trails being very close ( thin ) or far apart ( wide ).......

~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
Here's the diagrams for both P-51s. I managed a 589.0 foot radius for the P-51B, but similar to the P-51D, it required 7 separate tests to get the best number. Turn rate is inferior to the more powerful P-51D. Moreover, like the P-51D, the turn rate with no flaps (16.58 deg/sec) is very close to full flap turn rate (16.65 deg/sec). In comparison, the F6F-5 generates a turn rate of 19.39 deg/sec with no flaps and 21.02 deg/sec with full flaps.

As I said before, it appears that the P-51s see no increase in turn rate using full flaps vs no flaps. The net gain in turn rate is just 0.07 degrees per second (well within any margin of test error), whereas the F6F-5 sees an increase of 1.63 degrees per second.

Unless someone can show me some actual test data that establishes that the real P-51s didn't get an increase in turn rate with flap use, I tend to believe the P-51 flight model is incorrect.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:31:02 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Well, your diagrams are completely dependent upon the data used to plot them. I get substantially different turn radius figures for many of the aircraft on the diagrams.

That's true, and I think I can explain that if we back up a bit to something you said earlier:

Have a look at this graphic and tell me if you think that a 13,457 lb P-47D-25 should out-turn a fuel light, 8,604 lb P-51B.

I looked at the diagram you posted with that text, and it is difficult to draw conclusions from it, other than the overhead shot of the P-51D and the P47D25 film flight path trails look very similar, with perhaps a slightly better turn rate for the P51D.

Your point about variations in data is a good one, and I can also get both the P51D and the P47D25, along with most of the other aircraft to fly a slightly tighter turn radius, but that isn't necessarily the right thing to do. Take a look at this diagram.

It shows that both aircraft can be flown slightly deeper into the stall, resulting in a slightly lower speed, a slightly smaller turn radius and in both cases a slightly lower sustained turn rate, which is an indication of below maximum performance. The curves shown in the diagram above are for the current version, and they show that the P51D does indeed out turn the P-47D25, which I think would agree with your expectation.

The only caveat being this, the P47D25 has a couple of advantages, if you take another look at this EM diagram:

You notice that the P47D25 has a higher instantaneous turn rate and bleeds speed more quickly, which means the P47D25 pilot is almost always going to be able to tighten his turn more, and more quickly than the P51D pilot which will mean that the P51D pilot will find it very difficult to avoid conceding the first shot. The P51D's advantage is an endgame advantage that would suit energy fighters better, which is good because in this match up the P51D should clearly be flown as the energy fighter, despite having the better maximum sustained turn rate.  

Now here's where the P-51s get strange. I tested the D model at all flaps settings and the rate of turn varies very little, but the radius does tighten.

Here's the data, by flap position, time, mph and degrees/second to complete 3 turns.

Essentially, regardless of speed or flap position, the rate of turn is stagnant.

Ok, I've used your data to plot the radius and rate curves shown below:

It shows that for the P51D the turn radius decreases as you lower the flaps, while the sustained turn rate remains fairly constant. It means that the optimal situation is with full flaps because that's where it has the best radius and rate, so once you start dropping flaps on the P51D, you start to fall into a trap, you need to keep lowering more flaps to max perform the aircraft, which is contrary to the way the P51D should really be flown.

But it doesn't work that way for every aircraft. Here is a similar example for the F4U1D:

It shows that for this aircraft the optimum situation occurs when 2 notches of flaps have been lowered. Lowering more than two notches will reduce the turn radius, but it will also degrade the sustained turn rate, which is not good. A player who uses full flaps on the F4U1D against one who only uses 2 notches will make early gains, and may even tighten his turn enough for a snap shot, but if he doesn't make the shot, he will soon be wallowing with low E, possibly trying to pull his nose over for additional shots with high yo-yos while the guy at 2 notches will either be able to keep his nose high and out turn him or when he has sufficient altitude advantage, just use the turning room provided by the vertical separation to turn under for the kill. The point being that trying to use only 2 notches of flaps when ever possible in the F4U1D, and thus optimising sustained turn rate, is good.

That is, to my eye, is rather unusual. I'd sure like to see an explanation of the P-51's flight modeling, because I don't understand why it has deteriorated, nor do I understand the constant turn rate regardless of flap position.

Ok, those are two good points, one regarding the sustained turn rates, the other the changes in the flight model.

Firstly, issues around sustained turn rates and radii are always very perplexing, because the cause and effect relationships are not always intuitive and the mathematics required to resolve such questions is fairly complex with an enormous number of factors interacting with each other. I have the advantage of a flight model that I can tweak in order to see the effect of almost any change. The results can be surprising, but changes resulting from different wing and flaps configurations can reproduce everything we see in Aces High... Which leads me to your second point.

We have seen a lot of changes in the game over the years, some more dramatic than others, and during that time there have always been players who either dislike or disagree with the direction of that change. Those issues almost always arise because of comparisons with real life. But as we have so often seen, with the sparse and varied sources available we can't pin down the real aircraft behaviour with any degree of certainty. Trying to keep the errors as small as possible is as good as it gets, and everything I've seen points to the fact that HTC are constantly striving in that direction. How close they come to getting it right will always be a matter for speculation on these boards, but if you are a player trying to do well in the game, that is only a distraction.

Of course, a lot of folk enjoy that sort of discussion, but I don't have any real interest in how close the aircraft might be to the real thing, other than to help clarify when there is some doubt about the way the flight model is behaving. At the moment, I don't see anything that should cause any concern.    If you want to excel in Aces High, it doesn't matter how the P-51D has changed between patches, all that really matters is how it compares to the other aircraft right now! My only motivation is to provide information to help players do better in the game.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »
I'd say that what ever you calculate might give you any kind of different results but for as long as none of those formulas can take into account the wing profile's effect on turning you are bound to get only very general idea of turning performance. More specifically I mean that in slow speed the performance of near symmetric profile is different from, say, NACA 2300 series and if the symmetric profile is optimized for laminar flow with the camber being quite rear in the profile the slow speed performance will suffer.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »
the P-51D has changed between patches, all that really matters is how it compares to the other aircraft right now!

Copmared to other lw rides,.  it's a pig

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »
According to the RAF, the Mustang III out-turned a 109G with relative ease.

The 109G tested against Mustang was a nightfighter with wing cannons installed.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »

Missed this point earlier, and should add that this isn't strange at all.

If you only consider two variables influenced by the flaps, the increase in coefficient of lift, and the increase in drag, that outcome is predictable.

It works like this, increasing the coefficient of lift results in the tighter turn radius you are seeing. However, the turn rate can be affected in a variety of ways depending on the drag resulting from the use of flaps. For example, a fairly small increase in drag may result in an increase in sustained turn rate, but a higher drag penalty will result in a lower sustained turn rate, so a medium drag increase will result in the sustained turn rate staying about the same. That is what you are seeing, and in different aircraft we see all three outcomes.

If you take simple equations for sustained turn rate and radius, and plug in typical values for the P51, it is possible to see exactly that.

If you would like to see the math let me know.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »

Essentially, regardless of speed or flap position, the rate of turn is stagnant.  

If the proposal here is to challenge the P51 drag modeling with flaps at various settings would it not also show up (i.e see symptoms of the same) when looking at rate of climb figures?

If you set auto speed (IAS) to the figures above what roc at what TAS is returned at the various flap settings? How does it compare with the 109 and P47 also tested for comparison?

Seems that roc can be tested with far less potential error and used to corroburate the turn data you find without having to discount variations in bank angle, rudder input, and nose attitude that may be exprienced across flap settings and across ac types under test.
Ludere Vincere

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
If the proposal here is to challenge the P51 drag modeling with flaps at various settings would it not also show up (i.e see symptoms of the same) when looking at rate of climb figures?

No it wouldn't Tilt.  Climbs and turns --- apples and oranges.  There was a thread in the near past that went on for over 10 pages  where I tried to explain why.  I really hope we don't have to go through that again :)!

The simplest I can put it is that excess power depends on load-factor (squared), airspeed, altitude, and e (oswald efficiency). Ignoring altitude, the values of these variables are not the same between a steady climb vs. a sustained turn.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 03:18:15 AM »
:)  thanks for the reply............. I must admit ignorance on the matter but can see how much more complex turn is..............

It just seemed to me that there was a focus forming around drag modelling (of flaps and their effects in particular) and whilst the sum of combined effects are different between climb and turn, drag influences both . (more easily measurable in climb tests)

It seemed to me that if the roc model does not show any idiosyncrasies attributable to drag then another factor was being brought into play to produce idiosyncrasies under turn................ and if Widewings observations are correct, these other idiosyncrasies are particular to the P51 model.

How would HTC model a laminar (or more laminar like) flow wings  lift  responce to increased G and by how much would CL change when its split flaps are deployed under G and how would this differ to ac with more conventional wings?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:43:43 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 06:42:54 AM »
i think P51 has plain flaps, not split and what I'm interested of is the Cl behavior of its wing with different R numbers. It may turn very well in high and moderate air speeds but when AoA increases and air speed drops the wing may suddenly lose a lot of its lift if the profile does not support the low pressure in front of wing. But when does this actually happen?

The P51 may indeed be one of the most troublesome a/c to model trying to get its flight characteristics right in relation to a/cs with more conventional wing designs.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
Originally posted by Charge
i think P51 has plain flaps, not split and what I'm interested of is the Cl behavior of its wing with different R numbers. It may turn very well in high and moderate air speeds but when AoA increases and air speed drops the wing may suddenly lose a lot of its lift if the profile does not support the low pressure in front of wing. But when does this actually happen?

The P51 may indeed be one of the most troublesome a/c to model trying to get its flight characteristics right in relation to a/cs with more conventional wing designs.

-C+

According to NACA, the P-51 (in this case, a P-51B) has slotted flaps.. See image below.

Likewise, NACA Report 1044 and 829 show that there was nothing unusual about the way the P-51 wing performed at all airspeeds. It was among the very best in terms of CLmax, in service condition. It also demonstrated that its CLmax increased between Mach .45 and Mach .58, whereas conventional airfoils always suffered decreased CLmax as speed increased.

Both reports can be located via a Google search.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 10:33:47 AM »
Thanks for doc numbers WW.

According to 829 the maximum Cl the P51B could achieve was 1.4. The Corsair with its 2300 series wing exceeded 1.6. Page 615 shows some comparison too between different wings although it is about different gun apertures and fairings.

Page 599 "the stall characteristics are probably good" Ok, probably...

I think the description says it quite well "compromise, low drag".

-C+

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
Originally posted by Charge
Thanks for doc numbers WW.

According to 829 the maximum Cl the P51B could achieve was 1.4. The Corsair with its 2300 series wing exceeded 1.6. Page 615 shows some comparison too between different wings although it is about different gun apertures and fairings.

Page 599 "the stall characteristics are probably good" Ok, probably...

I think the description says it quite well "compromise, low drag".

-C+

If we compare the data for the P-51B and F4U-1 in "service condition" (which means as it will be flown in combat units), the P-51B comes in with a CLmax of 1.40, whereas the F4U-1 can do no better than 1.17 without taping and fairing. These tests were done with the props removed, to measure the CLmax characteristics of the wings independent of being blown by the propellers. The F4U wing leaks air from underside to top side. However, the P-51 does not, being a much cleaner and smoother surface without wing fold joints and a cleaner transition from wing to fuselage.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing