Author Topic: Need help with grid  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:10 AM »

I need some help with placing a grid on this so i can try and layout the fields.

EDIT: I need the grid to be 512? or whatever the current MA maps are.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:51:33 AM by Speed55 »
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »
I wouldn't normally do this, but for some unknown reason I'm in a good mood...

Current MA terrains are 256 x 256 miles.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks alot.. glad i caught you in a good mood. :aok

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »

No towns or uncapturables yet, and all fields are small so far.  Would like some opinions on the layout.

17 AF's
3 VB's
2 Ports
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:48:19 PM by Speed55 »

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:29:22 AM »
anyone?  good, no good?

I'm willing to build the map from scratch and re-learn the T.E., but what steps do i take before starting?  Do i send in the picture to HTC first?

I know that orange has an extra AF on the hq island, which i'll remove.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:54:46 AM »
I'd like to see some fields on those small islands.Small good looking things like that are nice

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
ok cool.. i was thinking the same.  

Would you happen to know the max number of fields allowed per country on a small map like this?

I'd like to add another port per country, as well as a few more airfields.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Need help with grid
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
I think the maximum airfields per side can go up to about 45. Recalling from memory, the terrain "Trinity" had fields numbered up to about 120+.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »
The two largest terrains are Trinity and Compello. Both have 255 fields (85 per country) which is the max for any terrain.

For a small map somewhere around 20-30 fields per country is reasonable.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
It depends upon what kind of game play you are trying to generate, but my gut instinct says that the strat targets are grouped too tightly. That may play into how you expect the map to be played, however, and may be by intent.

For what it's worth, I'm kind of hesitant about giving my opinions on other peoples map ideas, for three reasons:

The first is that I'm only just working my first, and I sure don't consider myself an expert...

The second is that I've never played the ground war, and I don't know as much as I should about that before I go offering advice...

But mostly, it's this:  One of the things that I feel is that all the maps currently in rotation are mostly far more similar than they are different, such that for the most part each one kind of feels like a lot of the "more of the same ole, same ole".

So I'd rather see you (and everyone) do something "different" that I wouldn't do, so that when all our maps are in play, they have an entirely different "feel" to them, and create a sense of variance that (I feel, at least) is largely missing.   For the same reasons, I've avoided asking for any input on mine.   If we all go with the consensus opinion, what we'll all end up with are maps that are a lot the same.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:43:38 AM »
I wasn't going to chime in on this, but here you go...

Ghastly has a good point and I'll tell you why the "same ole, same ole" feeling is there...

In my opinion, we have enough maps where the fronts merge in the center of the map. We need a few more maps on the order of SFMA where there is no merging of the fronts.

With that said.....Having just completed a joint effort MA map, I'm sitting out for a while. I need a break. ;)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »
I'm going to scrap this thing.  The more i look at it, the more i agree that it will just be another typical map.  
Hopefully i get a brainstorm, and can come up with something different, but right now, i'm having a difficult time visualizing 3 fronts without them meeting in the center.  Maybe something that looks like a toilet bowl seat, lol.

In the meantime, I think i'm going to use google maps, and look at different parts of the world for a better idea.

Thanks for the help.  I'll repost again when i come up with something different.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:22:04 AM by Speed55 »

Ingame- Ozone

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »
Originally posted by Speed55
....Hopefully i get a brainstorm, and can come up with something different, but right now, i'm having a difficult time visualizing 3 fronts without them meeting in the center.  Maybe something that looks like a toilet bowl seat, lol.....
SFMA is an extreme example of the fronts being separated.

Compello is an extreme example of localized fronts.

Another good example is Baltic. The fronts are spread out more than the usual map.

As another example, this or some variation of this will be my next project...

NOTE: For our European friends...if you can't see my pictures I need the first 2 or 3 numbers in your IP address to allow you to see them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:21:09 AM by NHawk »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Need help with grid
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55
I'm going to scrap this thing.  The more i look at it, the more i agree that it will just be another typical map.  
Hopefully i get a brainstorm, and can come up with something different, but right now, i'm having a difficult time visualizing 3 fronts without them meeting in the center.  Maybe something that looks like a toilet bowl seat, lol.

In the meantime, I think i'm going to use google maps, and look at different parts of the world for a better idea.

Thanks for the help.  I'll repost again when i come up with something different.

Its up to you, but I wouldn't scrap it. First off, all maps are going to come down to "being the same" if you look at the fights in a more "localised" fashion any way. Some are going to have their little quirks that are going to come about due to how the terrain builds and such.

Mindinao had a couple spot that you could fly right up to the door step of a base due to the way the valleys layed out, Baltic has the 45-41 furball, and so on. Once the battle has moved past these "points of intrest" all maps are the same, so don't call it quits on this one for that reason.

Second with yours, I get rid of the "rivers" spliting the main islands. That would give you more room to spread out your factories, and the bases so you could add more with out them being "too close". Add a third port on the backside of each of the main islands. That would be a hard port to capture, and would always  keep a CV in play for a country. Granted you might have to wait till it comes around, but atleast is an option that will be there.

Adding a few more small bases to the small islands would add to the "quick fight" crowd. Pizza had a bunch of them and it was alway a lot of fun. You'd get a cv running along a string of islands trying to capture them one after the other.... the fights were fast and furious!

To me ANY map is a good map! They all get played out eventually, but the more the better. I'd also love to see the capture settings be changed. Instead of needing 40% of both enemy countries fields, I'd like to see it dropped a bit, maybe 25% of each. Its only a couple of bases differant, but that would get the maps changed just a bit quicker, and in some cases "finally"  get the map changed.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Need help with grid
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 01:17:02 PM »
I agree with Fugitive - unless you find that the more you think it through, you just don't like your concept, go with it!

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue