Author Topic: Did it have to see combat?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Did it have to see combat?
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
I understand that all skins had to have been used during WW2, but I am wondering if they actually had to see combat?  I mean, if a particular skin saw some pretty bad training accidents, or took part in some very important work, but didn't actually fire on the enemy, would that be permissable in the game?

The reason I ask is that...  Well, :) I love the VF-17 1A skins, but would also love a VF-17 -1 skin.  It would make flying that plane all the more enjoyable :D

However, though my research into the squadron is still at an infantile stage, it appears that VF-17 merely trained in the -1, and never actually fought in one.

"Merely," is not a very good word, though, as the training they seem to have done in the -1's was *very* important for the Corsair's development in the war.  Both because they figured out how to land one on a CV, and also because they identified, and in some cases, self-remedied, many of the major design flaws with the earlier Corsairs.

I think there's a pretty strong argument for including such a skin in the game, but I wasn't sure what HTC's thoughts were on this, and was wondering if any of you knew?

And if it is an ok skin to have....  Any takers? :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:08:32 PM »

I'm all for it. :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »
Before the Corsairs were updated, the default F4U-1 skin was from VF-17. So I'm guessing it would be OK. I could do it for you, but not for a while.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:50:19 PM by Greebo »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 03:08:56 AM »
Here you go Vudak, one VF-17 F4U-1. I'll put it up on AH Skins when I get home from work tonight.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Re: Did it have to see combat?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
I understand that all skins had to have been used during WW2, but I am wondering if they actually had to see combat?

No.  I can think of at least 2 skins available for MA use that were definitely non-combat.  There's an all-red 163 skin that represents the prototype, and my own Seafire skin is from a training squadron.  I told them up front about that when I submitted the Seafire and they took it anyway.

I think the coolness factor plays a part in the final decision.  What's not cool about an all-red 163 rocketing into a formation of HQ-nuking buffdweebs?  Don't know why they took the Seafire--either they didn't read the caveat or didn't care.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Did it have to see combat?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
Originally posted by Bullethead
No.  I can think of at least 2 skins available for MA use that were definitely non-combat.  

There's at least one skin that is totally fictitious. It's a warbird skin. It does not represent any AVG P-40E. Frankly, it should have never been accepted and should still be yanked.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:12:48 PM »
And thats not even close to accurate for the warbird- wrong sharksteeth, wrong size insignia, totally inaccurate font for the number...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 06:39:06 AM »
The VF-17 skin is now up at The AH Skin Department.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:24 AM »
Hey, Greebo! Thanks so much for your work! I'm sorry I missed this up till now!

That's awesome!

If you ever need...  Well, gee, there's really not much I can offer.  Target practice?  Yeah, that's the ticket! Target practice, let me know!

:aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Did it have to see combat?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
There's at least one skin that is totally fictitious. It's a warbird skin. It does not represent any AVG P-40E. Frankly, it should have never been accepted and should still be yanked.

My regards,

Widewing

:cry :cry :cry
my fav p40 skin

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:41:19 AM »
Glad you like it Vudak. It wasn't too much work as I was able to lift most of the markings etc off other F4U skins I'd done.