Author Topic: will htc install new terrain  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
will htc install new terrain
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Ah, cc.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 11:27:02 AM »
You really don't need any snow on the roofs, building insulation wasn't nearly that good 60 years ago but you do need a few more generic buildings in the default and it could be a pretty sparse set.  It's the trees and clutter, particularly on a jungle tile, that eat up the resources.  With the addition of two tile sets, a small resource desert and large resource jungle, (keep snow, just retexture it) you can create almost anything by avoiding the tiles that don’t match the setup and change only the ground textures. No, you won’t have the fiery tree colors of fall but a lot could still be accomplished without requiring multiple 40 meg downloads.

As you say, green trees in snow, or desert, look terrible.:(

edit for sp/gram.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:33:03 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
I think what NHawk was saying is that this would be a RES file installed with the rest of AH and not part of the map itself.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:31:32 AM »
I also like the idea of toggling the seasons but wouldn't that mean the basic game download would grow by 3 x 40 =120 additional megs? Ouch.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »
I made a snow map with almost every object covered in snow, trees, buildings, tiles, base tiles etc...

I don't see the problem even in that, only what Easycor pointed out, that files would be big too.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »
I've been thinking about it again, if the objects remained the same and only the textures were paged in and out,  the additional DL required could be reduced to 3 x ~20 = ~60 meg, still a pretty big hit on top the current 107 MB.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 12:07:51 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
I also like the idea of toggling the seasons but wouldn't that mean the basic game download would grow by 3 x 40 =120 additional megs? Ouch.
I don't think that would be the case. I don't know for sure, but I do believe the stdshape.res file contains all of the objects in addition to the textures.

Just give the terrain and ground object textures their own res files and leave the shapes and all other textures in stdshape.res. I might be oversimplifying things though.

Plus in theory it would be a one time download. The only time terrain textures would need to be downloaded is if there was a major change in them. Which, we don't see that often. We see object locations moved around, but rarely see the textures for those objects change.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
I've been thinking about it again, if the objects remained the same and only the textures were paged in and out,  the additional DL required could be reduced to 3 x ~20 = ~60 meg, still a pretty big hit on top the current 107 MB.
Remember that certain textures wouldn't change for all seasons. Fall being the obvious one since only trees and maybe a few of the terrain textures would change.

So, you'd have your standard "Summer" textures with some substituted by "Fall" textures. Same with Spring, you'd have standard "Winter" textures with some substituted by "Spring" textures.

The biggest hits would be Winter and PTO.

And actually Spring could be skipped entirely. Anywhere I've lived we go from Winter to Summer. Spring just kind of passes by without notice.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:19:05 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 02:34:20 PM »
Problem with just re-texturing trees is this:

Re-texturing house tops, hangars, paths etc etc was no problem.

Pines and most of the shrubs don't even need anything, they are evergreen:)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
I've done them a long time ago.

Which tree is that? I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Ok, trees are more complicated than they use to be.

It looks like one or more of the textures is laid horizontally to give GVs some protection from sight.

I just need to figure out which part that is.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 09:11:11 AM by NHawk »