Author Topic: Osti Tips  (Read 641 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Osti Tips
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
Osti Tips
Anyone got any tips how to get hits especially form more than 1 k out. I try to see where the tracer is going and aim like that but I only bring planes down (usually) at very close range.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
I'm just as bad in a osti. I can tell you this though. Use the mouse as the gunsight and move your view outside of the turret to get a better view of whats around you.

Here's a some help from Zazen.
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157461

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
:lol :rofl  three posts at once!!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »
lolz   How's THAT for speedy service :cool:

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:33 AM »
Yes, and me and you posted the same link :lol  .

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Osti Tips
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
Zazen's write-up is also on the Trainer's Website.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 11:37:01 AM »
Don't even pull the trigger till the enemy con is inside 1.5, anything beyond that is just hopin & guessin!  Try to anticipate the flight path (I usually try to get a look at what they are trying to pounce).  This serves a double purpose-1)you can warn a friendly, 2) it gives you an assumed flight path to lay fire on.  Fire fully zoomed in, and park on concrete (Zazen's recommendations). Best shots are coming almost directly at you or away from you.  Another good reason not to open up the Ostie indiscriminately, is it spotlights your location.  You do not want to get the attention of someone looking for GV's to kill.  The final key is find a nearly overrun base for lot's of fun practice!  As a side note: turn off your engine when parked, it helps you and other GV's hear the incoming bogies.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Laciner

• Zinc Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »
"Another good reason not to open up the Ostie indiscriminately, is it spotlights your location."

I've noticed that, if you have tracers turned off, the M16's bullet stream is invisible, which may or may not be handy if you want to sneak about. I assume the 37mm rounds fired from the Ostwind (and the Yak9T) remain visible, even with tracers off, because they are combined high explosive tracers, although I could be very wrong.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
Originally posted by waystin2
Don't even pull the trigger till the enemy con is inside 1.5, anything beyond that is just hopin & guessin!

I've regularily gotten kills at 2.5K in an Osti.  Anything over that is a waste of ammo.  Gun elevation at 2.5K is right between the dot and the circle in your gun sight for a stationary taget with increasing lead as a moving target approaches.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Osti Tips
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I've regularily gotten kills at 2.5K in an Osti.  Anything over that is a waste of ammo.  Gun elevation at 2.5K is right between the dot and the circle in your gun sight for a stationary taget with increasing lead as a moving target approaches.

Same here Bald... Always fun getting that sot at just over 2k and the guys starts going off on you and wondering where you came from, blah blah blah...  Takes practice but is done by some of us.
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl

For shots outside the 1.5 range, what other parts of the Ostie operation do you try to control for maximum accuracy?  Where are you parking?  Engine running or not?  In neutral or left in gear?  Zoomed or not-zoomed? Etc.  Additional info is always appreciated!:)
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Osti Tips
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
Originally posted by waystin2
For shots outside the 1.5 range, what other parts of the Ostie operation do you try to control for maximum accuracy?  Where are you parking?  Engine running or not?  In neutral or left in gear?  Zoomed or not-zoomed? Etc.  Additional info is always appreciated!:)

Parked on concrete, engine off although neither of those make a difference in accuracy.  It does make a difference in allowing you to hear incoming opponents and in making a quick exit (safe landing) if you take damage some how.

In neurtal.  That does help accuracy.

Zoom in fully.  Set your keypad 8 view to head fully raised.  Keep your regular forward view through your gunsight.  Start in your gunsight view and stay there unless the con is crossing left to right or right to left at ~90 degrees to you.  If they are you'll need to move to the raised head view to get enough lead on them.

Watch closely what the con is doing.  You'll need to aim above them (as I mentioned in my other post) to account for drop as well as ahead of them if they are turning (leading the turn), climbing (aim higher still), diving (less height adjustment if any at all) or moving at an angle to you (again leading the flight path).

I'm not saying it's easy but with practice you can hit regularily from 2.5K.  Buffs provide the best practice cause they are big.  One you get that down you can start smiting fighters from a distance.  Fighters usually go down with one hit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:29:17 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.