Author Topic: Burning Salt Water  (Read 765 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Vulcan, Swoop, y'all might want to bone up on your science too.

Maybe majic does. Tell me chairboy whats the difference between water and water vapour?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »
You may find this useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_vapor

Burning H2/O2 produces water.  Your 'self extinguishing airships' comment seems to suggest that you were calling that into question.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Maybe majic does. Tell me chairboy whats the difference between water and water vapour?

Did you really think I was saying that it would produce liquid water?  In the middle of a fire?  (I kinda took for granted that it would be obvious, but as I did say, maybe someone else is better suited to explain.)

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 06:05:59 AM »
I believe all this crap, burning salt water and hydrogen cars, is the Holy Grail, the Fountain of Youth or cold fusion of the 21st century.

While I believe a lot of useful inventions will result (e.g. Velcro from NASA wasn't it?) if the perfect system was achievable it probably would have already existed in nature and our meddling will not 'create' it.

Ice is an example of what I would consider a 'perfect system' to me.  You freeze water to cool your drink.  It floats but the water it cools sinks bringing up warm water to be cooled.

[edit]to clarify, this isn't to say that we may not drive hydrogen cars, rather we shall only reap the possible loss of pollution benefits since the expenditure of energy to create the hydrogen will probably be comparable to creating and using fossil fuels.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:34:30 AM by Yknurd »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »
Think of it in terms of physical effort.

To break the bonds physically takes a lot of electricity, brute force so to speak.
No way your going to get more than you put in, as a matter of fact its pretty inefficient.

Now instead of smacking those bonds with brute force, You use a scalpel of sound waves to sever them. Power required could be little more than whats needed to run a stereo. Its all about the Frequency, NOT about the brute force.

Like shattering a glass with sound. If you have the right frequency for the glass, it doesn't even have to be loud. You simply resonate it till it breaks itself apart.

Same for H20, and its bonds, find the right frequency in the right chamber or sound reflective setting and it could shake itself apart. Freeing large amounts of H and O2 to be collected and burned.

This IS the answer for the future, and we will solve it, its just a question of time.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
If they get it up and running in the next 100 years what will that do to the "man made global warming" alarmists computer models?

say... anyone notice how quiet those guys are these days?    

lazs

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
Q:[/color]  
Originally posted by Vulcan

A:[/color]  970 btu.

Do I get a cookie?:D

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
   Yeah that is true, but if by some off chance the RF device takes less energy than the burning hydrogen produces, we have our next fuel.. Long shot, but who knows..

If splitting the water in to hydrogen and oxygen takes less energy than than burning the hydrogen and oxygen generates, they have invented perpetual motion, and violated the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Somehow, I doubt it.

There's always a chance this could be more efficient than normal electrolysis, though. A large improvement in the efficiency of electrolysis makes hydrogen cars more attractive.

This isn't even a new idea. There's a usenet discussion on Google groups about various methods of producing hydrogen and oxygen from water that mentions using RF (and how inefficient it is) that dates from 1996. I suspect it's something first discovered at least 100 years ago, and largely forgotten because it is practically useless.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:39:36 AM by Nashwan »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 08:52:46 AM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
If splitting the water in to hydrogen and oxygen takes less energy than than burning the hydrogen and oxygen generates, they have invented perpetual motion, and violated the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
What I was thinking the whole time reading this thread...

the whole thing sounds like a Keanu Reeves movie.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 09:28:33 AM »
Originally posted by JB73
the whole thing sounds like a Keanu Reeves movie.

[KEANU]Whoaaaaa....[/KEANU]
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 09:42:18 AM »
Burn salt water?  :(

Then we won't need Mideast oil.  :p

Then we set the oceans on fire.  :eek:

(fret fret fret)   :rolleyes:
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
Burn salt water?  :(

Then we won't need Mideast oil.  :p

Then we set the oceans on fire.  :eek:

(fret fret fret)   :rolleyes:

Think about it though, now we'll have a way to rid ourselves of all the water the melting ice caps are going to produce!!!  Were saved!!!

:rolleyes:

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
Originally posted by FBBone
Think about it though, now we'll have a way to rid ourselves of all the water the melting ice caps are going to produce!!!  Were saved!!!

wow, i never thought of that, now we can save chocolate town.

(everybody sing)  ohhh when the saints coome marching in.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Burning Salt Water
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
[KEANU]Whoaaaaa....[/KEANU]
must have never seen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115857/

almost the same premise as this story in a movie starring Keanu and Rachael Weisz.
I don't know what to put here yet.