Author Topic: Bombing problem  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
This might help: in offline mode there's a way to get an extra sight which tells you where you're bombs will hit if you release them now. By watching it drift from your bombsight you can see how you are moving away from the circumstances in which you calibrated. It's much quicker to find the problem that way than actually having to drop bombs to see where they land.

I can't actually remember how to bring this sight up but I'm sure somebody here knows.

Trip

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
I guess they are assuming that you are doing something wrong.  

No offence, but I am able to pinpoint bomb with no issues, so my bet is it isn't the game software, it's a user error.  

I am on M,Tu and Th.  Feel free to look me up and we can go on a buff run.  Lets see if we can identify whats going wrong...

Very well might be. My question to them however was "is there anything in the game that could cause it"? It was a simple question really. Its either yes or no. My interest was the inherent lag thru the Internet. Ive had a fair share of issues Im still trying to resolve. One of which is the B-25 is totally uncontrollable for me. The controls go haywire no matter what I do.

If I asked Tech support they'd probably say, "calibrate when flying". Well Ive tried that. Its hard to calibrate when the airplane is crashing.

Ive tried the TA with the green thingy and no matter how much I level, how much I control speed, and how long I calibrate, I cant get the green X to line up exactly center.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:19:06 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
Rich, you can fly with me anytime.  99% accurate from any alt.  If you don't mind following directions, you can be an uber bomber after 1 run.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hap
Rich, you can fly with me anytime.  99% accurate from any alt.  If you don't mind following directions, you can be an uber bomber after 1 run.

Remember Hap. A good bomber is a humble bomber.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 07:36:33 AM »
All right.

I decided to do some testing. I used a B-17, B-24 and B-26 and did double runs of each at identical alt and power settings using a 12 mile IP from target. Then, I did them again at "Normal" power settings for each aircraft type. I could not get the lead-computing bombsight to align absolutely perfect on any run, so I'm skeptical that others say it can be done.

Calibration was 10 seconds for all.

B-17 - Full power drop was slightly short. Normal power was on target.

B-24 - Full power drop was slightly long. Normal power was on target.

B-26 - Full power and Normal power were all on target.

The following is my subjective opinion:

From an historical perspective, our ability to accurately hit targets is obviously over modeled. We are not launching laser-guided weapons here. Massive bombing missions were the norm because it took massive numbers of bombers to carpet an area in the hope of hitting a target. There never was any such thing as daylight precision bombing. We have no winds aloft and calibration is foolproof.

My opinion is that this small +alpha (unknown variable) in the game is not an issue. The margin of error is very small and even a poor calibration can be easily overcome by bracketing the target with a salvo of 2.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
Why are you using a delay of 0.2 and not 0.05.  Your spreading your bombs too much if you are trying to drop hangers.

Also a salvo of 3 is needed if you are dropping 500lbs on a hanger.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »
I bomb with all Bombers at full speed....

I toggle all Bombs manually....

I open Bombay Doors a full 2 sectors before target...

I have E6B up in Bombsight....

I Bomb from 17K-25K....

Calibrate many times before target....30 seconds is a bit short...

Recalibrate for 30 seconds when target is within sight...and...
perhaps...if necessary...10-15 more seconds before dropping...

No Problems taking out my targets (unless inbibed a bit too much  ;-)   )

Perhaps you need to re-calibrate your Joystick?

For Grins and Giggles...on the ground...jump into a gunner position and don't touch your Joystick...is your gunsight moving? If so, re-calibrate your joystick and try again....if the same thing happens...you may be spiking and may need a new joystick...or use some damping in the calibration mode.

Just thoughts...
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
First off thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can answer them one by one. Ive had many experiences like Rolex. Im perfectly level at 0, my speed is perfect, I calibrate repeatedly to my speed....and the bombs fall short. If theres something Im doing wrong then its beyond me cause lets face it, this isn't rocket science.

Solar I gradually increased my delay from 0.05 to increase my chances of hitting something. Now I'm at 0.25 with salvos of 2 500lb bombs and doing much better. I increased my delay cause I had to.

Patches the reason why I dont like to continually recalibrate is because normally calibration is hit or miss. If Im going 270, and Im calibrated for 270, when I calibrate again it might come back 273 mph. This mind you without touching anything and while still going 270 mph.

Sometimes I have gunner roll but I always recalibrate the stick when it happens and it stops.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 02:07:09 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Remember Hap. A good bomber is a humble bomber.

Once you get the system down, you rarely miss.  It ain't me.  It is easy once corrections are made.  It's not like dogfighting where you have to react to variables.  We used to have wind to deal with.  Not any more, and it was constant.

:)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:14:19 PM by Hap »

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »
Originally posted by Patches1
I bomb with all Bombers at full speed....

I toggle all Bombs manually....

I open Bombay Doors a full 2 sectors before target...

I have E6B up in Bombsight....

Once the green "Calibrated Speed" equals your "True Airspeed" your good to go.  Like Patches, if I have the time, I open and level 2 sectors before hand.

Why?

It takes a bit shy of 50 miles for a buff to hitch up her skirts and get going top speed.

I too, ALWAYS, have E6B in bombsite.  I do all my navigation, steering, and peering (out the front nose using 8 on keyPAD not keyBOARD) from bombsite.

Sometimes, I don't plan for a 2 sector approach.  Then it's match Calib Speed to E6B.  For minor adjustments, your - and + key on your KeyPad is invaluable reducing and increasing RPM's quickly and easily thus fiddling with your airspeed.  Once you get it down, you can do it by ear.

Another tip: If you're calibrated at 260 lets say, and you've turned using F3, and since you've follwed Patches' advice and your E6B is tucked away someplace not occluding your view and visible to read, go nose down after your turn a tad to get close to your Calibrated Speed that is still locked into your bombsite.  Tap F6 and you should be close and won't have to do major fiddling 7 miles from drop.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I had forgotten about the RPM tabs.

Earlier I had a milk run in my 26s. I calibrated for, like 283 mph, holding down calibration for a long time. As I got closer I made some minor adjustments, got my roll back to 0, and my speed went to 282. So I re calibrated for a long time, like a minute, and the calibration wouldnt come back to 282. It was like 284 or something. The closer I got to the hangars I kept trying to get exact calibration and couldnt. It actually got worse.

I would have been better off just keeping it at 283 mph.

So.....I then went and blew up a radar factory to ease my frustration. I love watching strats blow up. Most of all refineries.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 08:34:24 AM »
If our Calibrated Speed is below our True Airspeed, we can slow down without much ado.  If our Calib Speed is good bit above our True Airpeed by a good bit and we're quite close to dropping, that's a tougher one.

Rich, if I remember today, I'll look for you, and if you like we can go on a run or two.

:D

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »
I sometimes lower manifold pressure a few inches before speed stabilization. This way you have some wiggle room in the + direction of the +/- margin of errror on calibration.
Another thing I occasionally did was climb a tad higher than my planned drop altitude. I'd then go into a gentle dive to gain speed and get to my drop altitude and let the speed stabilize. Seems easier to get to that max speed when over it and coming down than to stay level and try to accelerate to it.

I also do all course adjustments while in autopilot from a gunner position, usually the nose or chin gun. I find I loose less speed that way and of course your altitude pretty much stays the same being in AP.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bombing problem
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
You can always give up some altitude to gain speed without worrying about drop altitude. If you find yourself at perfect speed but lower than your calibrated alt after doing this, you just have to get into calibration mode for a second without actually calibrating - that way you will set your calibrated alt to your current alt. No need to go through the whole calibration process at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Bombing problem
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
Rich46yo...

For me, Calibration is NEVER hit,  or miss (unless I've had too much to drink)! :D

I plan well ahead of my bomber mission; chart my course on the map, look for gaps in Radar Circles and enemy activity near my Target before I take off. No doubt...you do also. In flight I make minor adjustments in my course, as necessary, but always plan for at LEAST a 2 sector, preferably 3 sector, area where I can stabilize altitude and speed.

As I mentioned before...I don't salvo bombs...I drop them manually...and if I am within 2 MPH of TRUE Airspeed...the Bombs hit where the Crosshair is pointing.

Now...on the other hand...if I am a bit fast...I toggle a bit early...if a bit slow...I toggle a bit late...in relationship to the Crosshairs; this you must work out yourself for your style of flying Bombers, and your desired results.

TRUE airspeed is your friend.

Just some thoughts....
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC