Author Topic: Running  (Read 9136 times)

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Running
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »
Greetings,

Okay, I got a question.  I normally fly the 47N.  I can scissor (can't spel tho) with a spit, pony or LA.  However, I can't scissor (spill again) with a Hurri or F4U.

So, I dive in and the F4U/Hurri dodges and we get into the scisor (dang spil chek thing!) and I realize I am losing this engagement.

Should I run and risk being called a 'rundweeb'?  Should I continue to scissor till I be dead?  What is an honorable person to do here?

okay so I should a waited till I was less toasty.....

:noid

Regards,

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Running
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:16:33 AM »
I'd run and get some distance and "reset the fight". If they call me a 'running dweeb' then that's what they say. To me a 'rundweeb' is someone who just flat out runs for the nearest ack, or continuosly runs until I disengage then they come back.

What are you doing turn fighting hurri's in a P-47 anyways??:confused:  :lol

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Running
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »
Well,,,,,,, I kinda don't.  I take my shot and pull hard a couple of times, then if I can't get a decent solution, pull up and away.

Tho, I do get tired of the 200 calls.

I will admit, I had a C202 show up off my 6 and I continued on out for a long time.  I just knew if I turned he would wind up 'owning' me.

Regards,

Offline jhookt

• Nickel Member
Running
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:38 AM »
letting people goad you out of your fighting style and playing by thier rules will most often get you killed.

besides is being called a rundweeb by a cartoon pilot really that insulting?

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Running
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »
Do you realize you are asking people, sitting on their tushes Reading a board, what you should have done while You were actually Doing something?

There will always be some sofacoach who thinks they know what you should have done, but the bottom line is, who cares?

Do what you think is best At The Time, second guessing is a waste of time.  You are the only one who knows what the situation was, and what needed to be done.  The rest is speculation and wondering what anyone in here thinks is a waste of time.  

Side note, Honor is for the living, completely wasted on the dead, so fight and stay alive.  

Oh, and Never blame typos on poor spelling, convince everyone you are Brilliant but just can't Type!

:D
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
Running
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:19:17 AM »
this thread reminds me of a southpark episode where Mrs. Garrison wanted to scissor a bunch of lesbians.
Lagger

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Running
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »
MWL, as a former squaddie, just tale their insults for what it is.   You aren't "willing to fight their fight".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Running
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 05:49:45 AM »
Originally posted by MWL
Well,,,,,,, I kinda don't.  I take my shot and pull hard a couple of times, then if I can't get a decent solution, pull up and away.

Tho, I do get tired of the 200 calls.

I will admit, I had a C202 show up off my 6 and I continued on out for a long time.  I just knew if I turned he would wind up 'owning' me.

Regards,

Turn off Channel 200.  Kinda lika an ostrich, if you can't see it, it can't effect you!
:aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Running
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:49 AM »
fight em, it's the only way you'll get better in that plane. if you die then guess what you get to up a brand new plane!!! it's a great cycle. Don't be a pansy in a game, just fight. :aok

PS "reset" the fight? :rofl  that is a load of crap, if you lost once you'll probably lose again. what a load of crap, that is something a newb would say. :lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:28:59 AM by megadud »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Running
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:09 AM »
There is nothing wrong in using the strengths of your plane and exploiting the weak points of your enemy's ride.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Running
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 06:43:03 AM »
you just think to much about it, care if you get killed, i don't. The best pilots can beat you in any plane, i fought blukitty in a spit, it was in a p47, i won but it was a very very hard fight. i got lucky in winning because i thought it was a easy kill. it's not the plane it's the pilot. :aok

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Running
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
If you, in a P-47N, have a gun solution on a Hurri, what's he gonna do?  He's going to maneuver in a manner that makes you lose your gun solution because he knows he can out turn you.  If he has a gun solution on you, what's the easiest way to avoid it?  You use your speed advantage to extend away.  Trying to turn with a Hurri in a P-47 is like the Hurri trying to out run a P-47--its not going to work.  Some of those that fly the twisty-turny planes feel some sort of noblesse-oblige to regulate player behavior on channel 200.

Any time I hear people complain about runners on 200, the complainer is in a spit, zeke, hurri, niki etc. The price people pay for all that maneuverability is the lack of speed.  Maybe we should counter all the "run away P-47" calls on 200 with "go ahead and maneuver, you turn-tard".  

The goal of air-to-air combat is to either maneuver for a shot on the offensive, or deny a shot on the defensive.  If you're in a less maneuverable plane that is faster, using your speed is the only smart way to do that.  I find it ironic that most of the recommendations on tactics on Hammers web page are frowned upon as "non-sporting".

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Running
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »
The goal is to survive. Yes of course its a cartoon game, but its still based on a conflict where the goal was to complete a mission, an in order to do that, you have to survive. AND, in order to survive you have to maximize your strengths while minimizing your weaknesses.

I "run" all the time. In bombers I try to sneak in and then "run"out. If I do get detected then bring it on. But as a purist I would rate success as accomplishing your mission and then landing the airplane.                                                                                                                                 And Ive seen lots and lots of fighters run from me after being hit a few times with 0.50s. There's a lot to be said for "running". Its one of the most proven tactics. In AR-234s I "run" like a scared schoolgirl.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Running
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
Originally posted by lagger86
this thread reminds me of a southpark episode where Mrs. Garrison wanted to scissor a bunch of lesbians.

Tribadism

My apologies.

back to your regularly scheduled thread.

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Running
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »
Originally posted by megadud
you just think to much about it, care if you get killed, i don't. The best pilots can beat you in any plane, i fought blukitty in a spit, it was in a p47, i won but it was a very very hard fight. i got lucky in winning because i thought it was a easy kill. it's not the plane it's the pilot. :aok

mega!
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.