Author Topic: Cherry picking is O.K.!!  (Read 3754 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »
I don't know why most people think cherry picking is a bad thing.Cherry picking is nothing more than good flying,and it should be applauded.Believe it or not most the good pilots in WWII got  most of their kills via cherry picking.Does never seen what hit them ring any bells?!It takes a lot of skill lining up a victim,running in,and then applying the kill shot,and getting out.rinse and repeat.Furballers create the pickers by doing just that.No furballs,no pickers.Do I enjoy getting picked...heck no,but I can appreciate the effort put in by the picker.I notice most the good furball pilots,are the most vocal when they get picked.Does (*&$#@! picker sound familiar? :lol.many of the aircraft in AH are made for picking,and not for furballing.Oh some of the better sticks can turn fight in a picker,but they aren't made for it.Next time you get picked,give that skilled picker a big !
IronDog
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:41:23 AM by IronDog »

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
Originally posted by IronDog
I don't know why most people think cherry picking is a bad thing.Cherry picking is nothing more than good flying,and it should be applauded.Believe it or not most the good pilots in WWII got  most of their kills via cherry picking.Does never seen what hit them ring any bells?!It takes a lot of skill lining up a victim,running in,and then applying the kill shot,and getting out.rinse and repeat.Furballers create the pickers by doing just that.No furballs,no pickers.Do I enjoy getting picked...heck no,but I can appreciate the effort put in by the picker.I notice most the good furball pilots,are the most vocal when they get picked.Does (*&$#@! picker sound familiar? :lol.many of the aircraft in AH are made for picking,and not for furballing.Oh some of the better sticks can turn fight in a picker,but they aren't made for it.Next time you get picked,give that skilled picker a big !
IronDog

and the Dork award goes to................IronDog!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:16 AM »
IronDog
troll much?
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »
No troll,sticks and stones etc.SkyRock has a very bad inferiority complex!
IronDog

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
It takes a lot of skill lining up a victim,running in,and then applying the kill shot,and getting out.

Heh.  Reminds me of Peter Ustinov's line to Olivier in "Spartacus":  "Brilliant dagger thrust at a difficult angle."

- oldman

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »
Picking a con on a countryman's six is fine, on his twelve is bad form.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »
I'm giving this a 1. The "but that's how real war is fought" argument has never really had any relevancy here. This isn't real, nor is it war. We are playing cartoon airplanes. Avoiding taking risks at all costs- not something I personally consider skillful, but ymmv.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 11:41:04 AM »
Is the "cherry picking" not by definition something like disregarding the bad berries and only taking the best and sweetest ones? ;)

I agree with IronDog.
It is not that special to kill someone after a lot of yanking and banking. It happens all the time. However, it is much more rare to be able to "humiliate" :rolleyes: someone so fully and completely that he has no idea what hit him.

I might list the kills from best to worst (IMHO) like this:

- cherry pickings.
- quick kills from a good shooting position after good move or two.
- successful deflection shots from more difficult positions.
- wrestling  and sweating it out with ACMs after having been stupid and having blown the advantage.
- risking a HO shot and winning.

The deaths (from least to most humiliating) go pretty much in opposite order:

- risking HO and losing.
- dieing or crashing after a long yank and bank, which was initiated due to loss of SA or some other mistake.
- not reacting strongly enough to a "smaller threat" situation and getting blow out with a good shot.
- losing it quickly after a move or two.
- getting blown out without knowing what hit me.

So.. IMO winning or losing a HO are pretty close to each other. In any case the decision has been mine to take it due to some reason or another.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
and the Dork award goes to................IronDog!

No way, you have had that one sowed up for ages! :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
I just saw the term "skill" used in the same sentence as "picker". Irondog I can see where this is going....

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »
IronDog  has a very bad inferiority complex!

That would explain the need to be dweeby enough to brag about chery picking in a game about dogfighting.:rolleyes:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
P38's an P47's won't turn fight my spitty :cry :cry :cry

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
IronDog, do you pick your nose while picking planes to pick?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »
SO how long til we see the furballing os OK thread so that IronDog can jump in that one and tell you you are all dweebs?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
I was going to quote skyrock but I think his comment is irrelevant. There is much more to AH than just dogfighting and tree hopping (frog humping). Some of the best kills involve a ruse by one player and a knife in the back by another. Cherry picking is the dead guy writing his own epitaph (cherry picking = I was stupid and didnt see that guy). You will know when this happens because they will first attack you on 200 and if you dont respond or have enough class to ignore them they will always tune you in private and insult you that way. You dont have to be above them and come down with smash because often enough they are so fixated on their target they dont even know their six exists anymore. Noobs are worse about this because they even ignore six calls. No excuse in someone with  any experience at all claiming a cherry because they should know better.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.