Author Topic: weakest part of my game  (Read 1791 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
weakest part of my game
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:00:02 AM »
hmm, unlikely concept. lets all talk about our weakest part of our flying for a change.

mine is definitely mid range gunnery between 300-500 yrds on a straight and level target. I just dont understand why i continue to pork tose type of shots on a regular basis. give me a straight and level target at 200 yrds or 800 yrds and i will be sure of getting at least a few pings with my first burst. give me the same thing at 450yrds and i will happily waste 200 cannon rounds before killing it.
 Its the same on a weaving target. very close or very long range and  i know i will hit the target most times, but i get a yak at 400 yrds and hes even so much as rolling slowly i tend to miss many times before i even get my first ping.
 I think its a mental block. i used to fly with convergence at 400 in any plane, before i learned a bit more about complex dogfighting and that was my sweet spot accordingly. one day i changed to 250 pretty much for all gun types, making little difference to accuracy at extreme ranges and huge difference to damage delt at close range where i was finding most of my gun solutions started to be at. but i totaly lost that mid range gunnery feel and it is definitely the weakest part of my game.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Domin

• Copper Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:09:21 AM »
Hmm, I have trouble hitting straight targets alot of time (like you explained), but snap shots are a lot more at home for me.

A weakness of mine is I'll let down my guard and treat all MAers the same by starting a lazy merge. If it turns out to be a better stick I have already given away to many angles. I need to be more aggressive with ALL enemies, like every opponent in the DA.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:12:08 AM by Domin »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »
Fly a Yak, I think nothing can improve your accuracy more then flying a bird with low ammo count. Getting back into it after a long break gunnery was terrible, now after a few weeks practice I can usually land a kill for every 30 to 40 cannon rnds.

Then again I try not to fire till just before colliding and never beyond 200, unless it's a very tempting target like a certain dweeb in his P38.  :D

...-Gixer

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:57:59 AM »
Taking a break. That's the weakest part... Hmm. Working on it :o

Offline pengu146

• Zinc Member
      • www.357deathdragons.com
weakest part of my game
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:11:27 AM »
my weakspot is i will sometimes just see a sweeter target and go after it.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......... Lancs bye la7:D

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: weakest part of my game
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:15:46 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
hmm, unlikely concept. lets all talk about our weakest part of our flying for a change.

mine is definitely mid range gunnery between 300-500 yrds on a straight and level target. I just dont understand why i continue to pork tose type of shots on a regular basis. give me a straight and level target at 200 yrds or 800 yrds and i will be sure of getting at least a few pings with my first burst. give me the same thing at 450yrds and i will happily waste 200 cannon rounds before killing it.
 Its the same on a weaving target. very close or very long range and  i know i will hit the target most times, but i get a yak at 400 yrds and hes even so much as rolling slowly i tend to miss many times before i even get my first ping.
 I think its a mental block. i used to fly with convergence at 400 in any plane, before i learned a bit more about complex dogfighting and that was my sweet spot accordingly. one day i changed to 250 pretty much for all gun types, making little difference to accuracy at extreme ranges and huge difference to damage delt at close range where i was finding most of my gun solutions started to be at. but i totaly lost that mid range gunnery feel and it is definitely the weakest part of my game.

TY very much for telling me your weakness. I will now fly 400 yards ahead of you at all times now :D .

The weakest part of my game is the little warps. When I have a bad connection or if an anti-virus program "magicly" opens itself it get little warps and its harder to get an angle on my target. Another waekness is when my sister can't wait a few minutes to use the phone and her AIM to talk to the SAME person and picks up and hangs up the phone 20 times to disconnect me. :mad: .

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
weakest part of my game
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
I can't make a rope to save my life, I've always seen people pull away from me in a climb with near equal speed and alt, just can't do it :cry

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »
My one true weakness is gunnery, SA, and judging E states. Also, I'm a bit palsic on the ccontrollss.ss..
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:24:13 AM »
Originally posted by Kazaa
I can't make a rope to save my life, I've always seen people pull away from me in a climb with near equal speed and alt, just can't do it :cry

Most people in a rope just pull straight up. What you should do is pull up at an angle, not 90 degrees, so you can pull out of it in time if trouble arises.

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:11:32 AM »
i think my worst problem is my over aggressiveness it gets me into trouble all the time. manytimes have i tryed to turn fight a zeke with my p40...sometimes i win...most the time the zeke will just flat turn and due to being very aggressive ill follow like a lemming.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
gunnery, SA, and judging E states.

Ditto. I have big troubles especially with targets flying straight in front of me, as you all said.. well, not a surprise, considering the small profile the target offers.

And, most of the times, like Domin, I engage target expecting an average MA pilot, which is wrong. One should always starts a fight with the utmost aggressiveness.

Btw, Latrobe, disable your antivirus and every other program while playing AH. You may want to try FSautostart, a program that shuts down unnecessary process before starting AH. As for the sister, I'm afraid the only solution is a good rope.

NO!.... WAIT!

You have to tie her, not to strangle her!!!! :D
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 06:56:47 AM »
Atm my biggest weakness is SA due to a joystick with broken hatswitch. I hear guys saying check six, I know they are there. Sometimes I hit the keypad to look, other times Im too busy.

Other than that Id say shooting a plane dead level in front of me at 200 with a cannon armed plane.

~AoM~

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
weakest part of my game
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 07:18:26 AM »
SA in a big furball and very tight fast rolling scissors, etc. I get overloaded, can't keep up with whats where and end up losing.

So I've been concentrating on hunting the edge of the furballs instead of the center. And I've added a trick or 2 to help keep me out of the rolling scissors.

Also I'd have to put a big plug in here for Murdr's barrel roll defense.
If you havn't taken the time to analyze this, you should. Granted its just one more tool in the box, but its a BIG tool, that has lots of applications.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »
My weakness: Being on enough to improve on my weaknesses.

Technical weakness: this FRIGGIN' DIAL-UP!:furious

Generally in fighter mode, I'm full of weaknesses. I've actually gotten worse as time goes on because I don't have near the time to play like I used to. And when I have the time, I'm to fatigued to fly most fighters decently. Sucks. :(
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
weakest part of my game
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
I have been trying to improve 1v1 and have made great progress, but have found that fighting 1V1 in the MA just makes you easy pickins.....so I have to say my SA is complete pooh(for lack of a better S word)
Lagger